...life can be translucent

Menu

General question about changing lines.

jacord

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all I'm new to this group. I'm going through some personal changes and decided to use the I Ching for guidance. I asked how to improve my psychic and intuitive abilities and pulled hex 9 changing to hex 53. The reading appeared to guide me to start slowly and make gradual changes. Remove obstacles and I will eventually see gradual progress (53). This makes sense. I don't understand the changing lines play into the change. Hex 9 changes to hex 53 when lines one and two change. My question: do I interpret lines one and two in hex 9? Or hex 53?Thank you.-Alex

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Alex! Welcome to the forum!

You should read the lines of first hexagram- in your case, Hexagram 9. Too me, 9 shows a great potential not (fully) realized yet.
9.1: "Return to the correct way. Then how can one be blamed? It is good fortune." You have returned to the correct path of being in touch with your intuition (or whatever changes you want to make).
9.2:"He allows himself to be drawn into returning. Good fortune." By listening to your inner call, you make room for improvement- it's promising.
Follow the path and you'll make Gradual Progress (53).

Very welcoming answer to your question.

Good Luck!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
My question: do I interpret lines one and two in hex 9? Or hex 53?Thank you.-Alex

This is the downside of using online casting tools as a beginner, you end up not knowing what change lines are. To get to 53 from 9 lines 1 and 2 change hence those are the lines to read. Will link to the 'Learn' section here.

https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/learn/beginners/

I recommend casting with coins because then you get more of a feel for how the relating hexagram comes from the primary although in terms of interpreting neither precedes the other, you read them together.

I'd see your cast as during a time of gradual development through paying attention to small signs in quite a conscientious way you come back home to your own intuitive abilities

F

Freedda

spiral_369,

You've gotten some good advice here. I'd add that you can also use the free online tool here for doing a reading. It's pretty complete and accessible. And as Trojina has pointed out, there are learn resources here, both free and for a fee.

If you do post your question here, I'd suggest using the format 65.1.2.3 > 78 (made up) which is hexagram 65 with lines 1, 2 and 3 moving, resulting in 78 as resultant or related hexagram. You should also always make it clear what you asked, and what you think about it. Also, one suggestion if you do post here, you don't have to copy and paste the entire reading into your thread, maybe only the parts that speak to you or you are confused about.

As noted by others, you only need to read the lines of 65 (in this case), and you don't read the lines in 78.

For me, the cast/resulting hexagram relationship is a bit more art/magic than science. They work in different ways together. One place I often start is to look at the cast hexagram as the situation, the lines as specific pieces of info about the situation, and the resulting hexagram as perhaps an attitude or approach to dealing with the situation (or sometimes advice on how not to deal with it! or what not to do!)

But again, that's only one approach and I usually just have to feel my way through it. It is not, however, that the related hexagrams is going to be an outcome or what the situation is changing into, or it's only been that for me in a very, very few instances.

Best, David.

jacord

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all!

Suddenly I understand everything that all of you kind folks wrote. I've tried using the I Ching a few times over the past few years and never understood it. I learned how to cast using the sticks, coins, software, you name it... I always got lost on its advice and resorted to my tarot cards. A few weeks ago, I started seeing repeating numbers everywhere.

This has happened before but not as frequently as it has lately. I saw numbers like 12:12, 10:10. 10:01, 12:21 so much that couldn't ignore it anymore. I can feel that I'm experiencing something transitional but I can't tell what it is. I also feel a lot of depression but have no reason to feel it--things are going rather well. The one thing that has always gnawed at me is that despite having both marital and material good fortune, something "mystical" is missing and missing in such a way that it makes me sad thus, the anchor of my depression.I felt empty using the tarot like I used to.

But a few weeks I had a dream where I saw myself staring at hexagrams and felt really happy. I started reading about the I Ching and also noticed that I felt more receptive to its advice.So here I am with a few more questions that I never understood before and suddenly do now.

Thank you all again for your sagely advice.

-Alex

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).