...life can be translucent

Menu

PhD for me?

D

deeedeee

Hello everyone,
I wanted to do a quick reading on my future plans, it is really only a plan but a serious one.
I am planning on doing my PhD on child psychology. I am a teacher now. I am doing my research on it, talking to professionals with adequate experience.
When I got 51, I got a little shocked... Haha... Get it? (So we know comedian career is off the table)
I asked to get an insight into getting my PhD on child psychology, and just a general picture of how it would be for me.
Do you mind sharing your opinions with me please?
Thanks!
D.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary's post on 52 uc had me blissfully contemplating 51, and not just as thunder and shakes. I re-watched the doco 'Mountain' and it talks about how it has only been a couple of hundred years that humans have set out to conquer mountains, that prior they were something revered and only now they are an adventure. That reverence is really awe, and it is in the state of intended awe that you can hold on to 'the ladle and wine.' I think the sublime nature of vast mountains, or earth quakes and thunder as in your reading, certainly underlines the fear within the awe.

But particular for your reading and its question, there is a sense that the PhD lies ahead as a vast mountain and the 51uc reflects to that state of awe. It's a big thing to accomplish, many people aren't able to get through their PhD, many stretch over many years. However, many finish their PhD in the assigned timeframe.

The fact that its a big undertaking doesn't predict your ability and method of achievement. The excitement, anxiety and inner quaking is the source of being able to achieve it; that 51 state will shake up all the thoughts and worries you have around this big task as well as energy to start it. So what did the thunder trigger inside of you? what worries, false beliefs, doubts came up? What ideas and outcomes did you feel excited about? And when looking out towards that beautiful summit of 'PhD' what will it mean to you to get there? Will that summit make all the work worthwhile?

I don't think the reading of 51uc itself is anything predicting whether the PhD is the right thing for you to do, whether you'll get in and so on. I think when it comes unchanging is showing a moment of feeling excited anxiety and building energy within you to act. Do you stay where you are to stay safe from the thunder and lightening or do you need to go somewhere else? You seem to have the plan already, so it feels like it is more about how what action are you going to take?

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
51 Unchanging - This is the wake up call you have been waiting for. Just thinking about doing a PhD is a major venture for you and what you'll learn through making the committment to doing the PhD as well as the content of the subject matter will change your outlook for ever.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).