...life can be translucent

Menu

33 for successful spiritual practice

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Happy 2019 To all. I hope I can say that to myself too! I've been struggling with an undeserved tax problem for years all due to the negligence of my bank. I'm totally in the clear here. If I lose this case I'll be bankrupt. I asked the Yi whether my spiritual practices that purify negative karma will help and received hexagram 33. Retreat. Retreat within? Sounds like a yes. What do you think? I received 36 when I asked the Yi what I should do to resolve this case. I can see a tribunal hearing coming up. Maybe I should just take a break? Is that what is meant by 36? Thank you for reading.

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there circe,

"Will my spiritual practices that purify negative karma help?"
33uc ~ No doubt about it.

From Liu Ming's "Changing":

33 Dun::pig

Offering: small is auspicious

Image ~ Dun has the double meaning of piglet (modest sacrifice) and seclusion. It is about a situation where one is isolated, ill, withdrawn or restricted but able to grow strong despite circumstances.

A penned pig is being fatted for an important, yet modest, sacrificial ritual that thanks and enlists the blessings of the ancestors. Due to the seriousness of the ritual, the clan leader withdraws into seclusion to become ritually pure. Both the ritual purification of the leader and the fattening of the sacrificial pig take about ten days. The ritual then goes so well that the pig is not sacrificed, but released.

Auspices ~ There will be modest gains. Do not be overly concerned about limits and restrictions. Stay put and you will grow strong. Success is acquitted gradually but reward is inevitable.

Good for postponements, education, saving deposits, light entertainment, and small projects.

Bad for marriage, divorce, foreign travel, and pushing forward.

Comment ~ Dun tells us that limitations and seclusion are not necessarily bad. It shows how restrictions can be made into opportunities. Dun is the story of a successful "come back." Through modesty (not protesting) and simply nourishing yourself even imprisonment can be made the basis of success. It also reminds us that limited circumstances (small) can often be a fertile ground for success.

Dun is also about the immeasurable clarity that comes from a meditation retreat called the "fasting of the heart."

Other Correspondences ~ Collecting accounts receivable, spa, resort and hotel business, and junior management.

Disharmonies ~ Spleen deficiencies, minor injury, fatigue, and depression.

Prognosis ~ Good. The patient will respond well to spa-style treatments.

Good Luck and Many Blessings!

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Radiofreewill! So kind of you. It seems so apt. So relevant.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I asked the Yi whether my spiritual practices that purify negative karma will help and received hexagram 33. Retreat. Retreat within? Sounds like a yes.

Querent: will my spiritual practice effect the outcome of the case?
33 Retreat.

I see this as a clear,
"No, retreat from that idea."

starflower

visitor
Reaction score
The 33 is saying that spiritual practices cannot change your circumstances (at least not at this time), and that outside forces are just too big and powerful at the moment. BUT! if you have any spiritual practices that protect body and mind from the negative effects of stress, and that don't take too much time out of your day, keep them up! In 33 there is a need to protect oneself.

The 36 could be telling you to keep your chin up and maintain a positive attitude. The sun will rise again eventually. Best of luck!

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice but the one from radiofreewill resonates most with my circumstances. It mentions purification rituals. Exactly what I'm referring to.

F

Freedda

Circe, first I'm curious, did you have two Yi inquiries in a row and both of them had no moving lines? Interesting.

As to your query, for me Hex. 33 is about creating some distance between you and your situation, in order to gain perspective. Looking at the trigrrams you could imagine the situation as a large mountain with the vast sky in the background. Up close, the mountain seems daunting, unmoving, perhaps unknowable, and the sky does not seem so vast because it is blocked from your view.

So, what to do ... step back, retreat, distance yourself, maybe a mile, maybe ten, maybe a hundred. But far enough back so you can gain a different perspective: mountain is still mountain but you can better see the sky and clouds, and the vast landscape in which Mountain is sitting. You now have room to breathe, and perhaps to see more choices for how to approach your situation.

What that 'distancing' is will be different for each person and each situation. Perhaps it includes spiritual protection or ritual, as long as it allows you to keep a clear view of things, and doesn't cloud over the landscape, which some approaches to things 'spiritual' can do.

And about karmic cleansing? I imagine that could be part of it as well, but what form does that take?

Could it be to offer forgiveness to oneself and all the others involved, regardless of the outcome? Could it be relinquishing control - or any false sense of control - over the situation? Might it include being completely honest, to 'fess up' and own your role in the sitation? I think you have to decide what distancing and perspective looks like for you.

Best, David.

Last edited:

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Makes Sense David. Thank you. Of course meditation and purification enable objectivity if done correctly.

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
I like to see what the IRP will do in unchanging situations as this is like a model for best practice, or as close as we mere mortals are able to get to best practice

I asked whether my spiritual practices that purify negative karma will help and received hexagram 33. Retreat.

Hex 33 - Asks you to draw closer to the inner world at this time. The IRP keeps the chaos at a distance and is inspired through focusing on what they hold true.

I asked the Yi what I should do to resolve this case. Answer : Hex 36

Hex 36: Protect yourself, watch how you behave / react and where / how you can focus on other things to best advantage. The IRP manages his involvement in the human world, and steps back to see the wider picture and to establish the right thing to do in this difficult time.

It might be worth pondering on the nature of karma in your spiritual practices. For me, Karma is Karma - it is the consequence of an act. Its polarity is only assigned by the thinking mind. Karma does not see itself ( if indeed it
can) as being positive or negative it is more about redressing an imbalance.

Good Luck

Last edited:

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you my-Key. In fact I have made a sort of breakthrough in my painting
And will hold an art show at a gallery next month. In the midst of this chaos which began just few days ago this seems crazy but I told myself I can't allow it to affect my plans. In the Buddhist view there are many kinds of karma: both negative and positive with the potential to throw one into one's next rebirth. Birth and death being endless, I can't imagine how much Karna I have accumulated. Or which karma would ripen at the moment of death. It helps greatly to have positive thinking when nearing death as the last thought can determine the next birth. Even a cool breeze you enjoy is the result of positive karma from some other life. One should take care not to sow fresh seeds of negative karma while dealing with difficult times. So one does not indulge in hatred or anger for we create our world ourselves. Yet we do have to act to protect ourselves.

Attachments

• received_528644347627663.jpg
    received_528644347627663.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 13

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
David forgot to mention that indeed both hexagrams received in a row were unchanging. Perhaps it means it's gonna be a long long time.

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
In the Buddhist view there are many kinds of karma: both negative and positive with the potential to throw one into one's next rebirth. Birth and death being endless, I can't imagine how much Karna I have accumulated. Or which karma would ripen at the moment of death. It helps greatly to have positive thinking when nearing death as the last thought can determine the next birth. Even a cool breeze you enjoy is the result of positive karma from some other life. One should take care not to sow fresh seeds of negative karma while dealing with difficult times. So one does not indulge in hatred or anger for we create our world ourselves. Yet we do have to act to protect ourselves.
Hi Circe
I'm no expert, and not a practicing Buddhist, so I may be barking up the wrong tree here, however from my perspective not all actions are karma, karma need only apply if there is volition (willful intent). Karma is the action, Virpaka is the ripening of the action ( cause and effect), both are of the mind and for me it is in the mind (the realm of human suffering) that the goodness (cool breeze) or badness (undeserved tax problem) lable is assigned. Neither of the polarities are rewards or punishments they are just what they are. Karma is a law unto itself and I'm far from understanding all (or perhaps even any) of the intricate nuances of it. The Buddhist approach does aim for the removal of Karma which can be aided by right action, right thought and implementing as best we can all the other right things and most importantly by skillful volition in both past and present deeds . As you say it is so easy to create our world through our wild imaginings and wayward actions.

Michael

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
No one rewards or punishes . Just that positive action or intention begets positive results and vice versa. Of course the mind labels all the time. It's how we create our world. Which brings us to the important concept of emptiness but that's a long story.

F

Freedda

I like to see what the IRP will do in unchanging situations as this is like a model for best practice ....
And what does IRP mean or stand for? I strongly suspect it's not International Registration Plan, but besides that, I really don't know. D.

@my_key;

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi David
Like a lot of acronyns they are only of use in communication if they are known.
In my little book of shortcuts when typing IRP=Ideal Realising Person (junzi / noble one)
TTFN (ta ta for now)
Michael

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).