...life can be translucent

Menu

New relationship? 51 unchanging

Carolion

visitor
Reaction score
This thread has been posted already but not with this perspective, I think. Common situation, single girl meets guy and hit it off. After a couple of meetings girl wonders where is it going but doesn’t dare to ask openly. So I Ching! Are we going to start something serious? Response: 51 unchanging “shock”.I’ve been reading a lot online and a lot concentrates in preparing for the worst! Which gives me no hope. But if you think about the image “great thunder is frightening but after the great light -awakening- the comes release, laughter and joy” it makes me think about letting go of my fears of intimacy and open, trusting, to something completely new, surprising, a new way of relating to someone, without the fears of the pasts. At first it would be frightening to let someone in but afterward it will be bliss. Am I going to be completely surprised by this boy or is it a sign of doom?From cafeausoul:“The Shocking can symbolize the unexpected things that generate emotion and wake us up. It can symbolize the fear of intimacy that is suddenly awakened as stirrings of unexpected love. It can represent changes you didn’t ask for but are good for you. The underlying cause of Penetration showed a period of rest and concession, but now it is time to stir things up. The hidden influence of Obstruction is always a call to innovate. Feelings can be rising that are quite unfamiliar but refreshingly new. What worked in the past will no longer do. ” https://cafeausoul.com/iching/zhen-shocking What do you advise?

redblue

visitor
Reaction score
51 IS in my experience THE meeting with something or it could represent your "shaking" experience in meeting someone. In my past readings no 51 (excepted 51.3) were bad experiences.

This is what I could say just reading your infos and the cast but probably if you could explain better the situation we could have something more to say...

F

Freedda

... Common situation, single girl meets guy and hit it off. After a couple of meetings girl wonders where is it going but doesn’t dare to ask openly. So I Ching! Are we going to start something serious? Response: 51 unchanging “shock”.

Hello Carolion:

A number of Yi authors and teachers caution against too quickly interpreting a Hexagram as either good or bad. There's a great sticky/thread about this in the 'exploring divination' section that you might want to look at.

My take on 51 - Thunder, is that it's not just about the awakening or shock we might experience, but also how we respond:

"Shock brings fear and alarm.
(then) mirthful words and echoing laughter.
The thunder startles for a hundred li all around.
But do not drop the ladle of sacred wine."​

I don't really get the 'ladle of sacred wine' part, but maybe it's about keeping our wits about us and perhaps a higher sense of purpose as we face something new?

Besides 'Thunder' some other names for 51 are 'Arousal', 'Shaken in His/Her Being', and the 'Decisive Moment.' None of these are inherently bad I think, but it might suggest allowing what is new and shocking in - to set aside our initial fear - at least until we can get to know what's been presented to us.

The second line of the oracle text is 'mirthful words and echoing laughter', however, personally I wouldn't take this to mean that, absolutely, things will work out, only that this is the best attitude to have approaching the situation.

So ...

.... But if you think about the image “great thunder is frightening but after ... - then comes release, laughter and joy” it makes me think about letting go of my fears of intimacy and (being) open, trusting, to something completely new, surprising, a new way of relating to someone, without the fears of the pasts. At first it would be frightening to let someone in but afterward it will be ....
... to me, this seems like a much more appropriate attitude ... perhaps to be open but awake, with a bit of fear mixed with anticipation. But, at least as far as I know (and others may know more), it offers no guarantee of an outcome. So perhaps, afterward it will be ....

There was much joy because we lived happily ever after .... or

After it was all said and done, I just had to laugh at myself .... Carolion, what were you thinking? or perhaps even ...

Maybe after getting over the fear, I should ask him how he feels, or where we are at - the answer might be suprising!

Best, David

Last edited:

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Carolion!

Are we going to start something serious? Response: 51 unchanging

I guess you are asking about a specific situation. If so, the interpretation would be easier if you gave us more details.
"Shock" is about an unexpected powerful encounter; be it the beginning of a serious relationship with someone you didn't expect, discovering that you can't be serious with someone you counted on, or a meeting with a huge effect on you, whether it leads to a relationship or not.

Last edited:

Carolion

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you very much for you insights. They are greatly appreciated. I'll be pondering on it and maybe share the outcome as it unfolds.

D

diamanda

Hi Carolion,
I assume that by 'serious' you mean stable.
51 unfortunately doesn't show stability, it shows upheaval and shock.

Carolion

visitor
Reaction score
UPDATE:Well, a few days ago I got a text message from this guy. We had seen each other a couple of times so he didn't own me anything. He said he had recently met someone and that they wanted to take it to the next level. To tell you the truth, my ego felt hurt, but I got over it pretty quickly. I guess that 51 unchanging for my situation meant that I would not be able to foresee the outcome, that the outcome would be surprising maybe shocking (I didn't even imagine there would be someone else involved) and that I would be able to "laugh about it later". Which pretty much sums up the situation for me. My question stays always: do we tend to make hexs fit our situation or was the hex foreshadowing the outcome?Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. I will surely post again!

AnitaS

visitor
Reaction score
In my recent experience with a guy who propositioned me out of the blue hexagram 51 certainly implies shock and unpleasant shock. I discovered his true intentions when I contacted a mutual friend and there was shock all around: me,this friend and the guy.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).