...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 54 and Impatience

artio

visitor
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I've been away a while. Now I'm back, and with a question about Hexagram 54. Would anyone say he/she thinks Hex 54 has a main theme of impatience? In the past I have felt that Hex 54 is mainly about someone or something being inferior (as in poor quality or of low status). I don't doubt that that is still the case, but lately I have come to wonder if another strong theme of 54 is that of being impatient. I mean, in the story of the Hexagram itself the younger sister marries the same man her older sister is marrying, but unlike the older sister the younger sister is marrying as a subordinate wife rather than primary. Does the younger sister make a hasty descision to do this because she fears that if she does not and waits too long, she will never have a mate at all?

Whether you agree or disagree I'd like to hear what others think.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy folks. I've been away a while. Now I'm back, and with a question about Hexagram 54. Would anyone say he/she thinks Hex 54 has a main theme of impatience? In the past I have felt that Hex 54 is mainly about someone or something being inferior (as in poor quality or of low status). I don't doubt that that is still the case, but lately I have come to wonder if another strong theme of 54 is that of being impatient. I mean, in the story of the Hexagram itself the younger sister marries the same man her older sister is marrying, but unlike the older sister the younger sister is marrying as a subordinate wife rather than primary. Does the younger sister make a hasty descision to do this because she fears that if she does not and waits too long, she will never have a mate at all?

Whether you agree or disagree I'd like to hear what others think.

I wouldn't say the entire theme of 54 is impatience but I do think that given 54 is a picture of a contract that impatience could, on occasion, naturally arise from being yoked to that. Also it's pair, 53, Gradual Development does call for patience for everything in the right order. In 54 one doesn't have much of a say in the progress of the order of things, one is in service to the demands of the contract which naturally means taking 2nd place to it.

The marrying maiden has entered into a contract whereby she must adhere to it's terms and it's pace and demands .

This entering into contract can be a good thing or feel not such a good thing depending of course on the circumstances of the question. I have looked in my own journal and there I see contracts of all kinds under my 54 entries. One to a phone company which was very good ! Others where I am chafing to move on or change something when I can't - and that would connect to your idea of impatience.

I note I also connect 54 in being yoked in to a contract of service to shallower desires as well as greater ones. There will be times that being the marrying maiden entering a greater realm and playing a subordinate role might be one's heart desire. Imagine being taken on in some prestigious work or something like that. One might be only too happy to have that lower role. In practice looking at my own 54 stories there's more dissatisfaction than that but that doesn't mean that's the whole story of 54.

Going back to this

I mean, in the story of the Hexagram itself the younger sister marries the same man her older sister is marrying, but unlike the older sister the younger sister is marrying as a subordinate wife rather than primary. Does the younger sister make a hasty descision to do this because she fears that if she does not and waits too long, she will never have a mate at all?

I think it is a matter of tradition, protocol, the wishes of the younger sister don't come into it. She doesn't decide anything. Others more knowledgeable about the actual role of the second wife in Chinese history can likely help you more with this but as far as I am aware she is married off it's not a case of her thinking or deciding for herself. However in the long term it may be very fortunate for her if over time she finds her place. Those situations where we enter into contracts of all kinds, sometimes against our will, school for example or work later on, aren't always to our detriment long term.

Impossible to generalise too much given we may cast 54 over any topic ranging from phone contracts to new shoes to huge decisions - but there's generally an order as part of a contract in there somewhere even if an emotional contract.

I don't think it makes sense just to go straight to the idea of the down side of being secondary to contract, it all depends on the context of your question and so on. So while I wouldn't take impatience as a central theme of 54 I do think it can be very much a part of the 54 experience. The marrying maiden surely has to be patient, she knows it's part of the deal. In our own questions we may get 54 and not choose to go her road but that doesn't mean her road is without reward in the long term. And of course we have to remember 53 as the pair. In pairs each one is an integral part of the experience of the other. So patience and impatience will likely often be noted as a side product/experience when we receive either of this pair. At least it is what I note from my own journallings and such.

Is 'journallings' a word ? Hmm possibly not and I have to submit to the contract of the dictionary but I won't

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just searching for Hilary's 54 blog posts, a recent one on 55 that also refers to 54 and the significance of the sequence

From there, frustration of 54 mentioned

How did you get here?
From Hexagram 54, the Marrying Maiden. (And as part of some much bigger patterns – see Exploring the Sequence inside the Change Circle library.) The Marrying Maiden experiences a strange mixture of frustration and fulfilment: frustration, because she is married off into a situation she didn’t choose and can’t control; fulfilment, because she might be able to make this her home and attain her highest potential here. In the Zhou story, ‘King Yi marries off his daughters’ to ally Shang with Zhou; King Wu (or possibly Wen) will be born from this union.
Abundance brings a similar mix of experiences. There’s a similar sense of being ‘landed’ in a situation you didn’t ask for – but also the overwhelming knowledge that this is where you belong and where your mandate lies.

F

Freedda

I'm not as familiar with the hexagram as others are, but I think of it as not just impatience, but impatience being fueled by desire. Sort of 'jumpin' the gun to have some fun ....' With the trigrams, we have the quick, sudden shock of Thunder above, and the pleasure-seeking Lake below.

Best, David.

artio

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Trojina & Freedda. Thanks for replying. Yes, I can understand frustration from thwarted desires. I have to say that I have not experienced any feelings of fulfillment when receiveing Hex 54. Again, thanks for replying and giving me more to think about.

L

legume

interestingly, i literally got it today (with a lot of changing lines) to a question ending with "anytime soon". so thanks for the extra insights :)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Hey Artio! Welcome back1 We were just talking about you over in the Shared Readings area. Olga was hoping you post an update on your "Hex 39 for 39" thread. Go over to Shared Readings and scroll down about 3/4 of the way to find it.

artio

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Rosada. I'm on my way over to Shared Readings now!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).