...life can be translucent

Menu

57.1.4.5>14 Death

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,

Thanks as always to Hilary for a wonderful forum and to all those here who provide such thoughtful responses. My beloved cat Harry passed on 2 days ago as I was driving him to the emergency clinic. In his final moments he experienced agonizing pain. Vet staff believed that he died from a blood clot. Some may regard this as misguided but I asked the I Ching: "Why did Harry die in such pain?"

Answer: 57.1.4.5>14

I tend to examine readings by using what I've seen others refer to as the "transitional method":

57 - Lise: The blueprint or the seal that one carries, decides all what one is or does.
57.1 - Lise: Advancing and retreating.
9.4 - Cleary (2): If there is truthfulness, blood goes and fear leaves, and there is no fault.
1.5 - Wu: The flying dragon is in the sky. It will be advantageous to see the great man.
14 - Lise: The noble one by terminating evil raises good, by yielding to Heaven relaxes in fate.

During Harry's life I referred to him as "Angel Harry" - he possessed a spirit which radiated purity and love. And also a pristine white coat which seemed in keeping with the image. (Btw.. my other cats are dark and I love them all too;) ) Anyways, the above reading strikes a chord in me although I can't decide why. Many translations of 9.4 mention "blood vanishing" which makes me think of the blood clot he passed in the car. But how does this reading address the pain question? Did Harry's blood vanish (9.4) so he could see the Great Man (1.5) in Heaven?

Also, 57.5 suddenly makes me think of, dare I say, a reincarnation or metamorphosis of sorts (?) I may not be thinking too clearly as I grieve and go through this period of adjustment. If anyone is willing to venture some thoughts on 57>14 I would very much like to see them. Thank you for reading this.

L

legume

i'm really sorry to hear about Harry's passing. as you call him Angel Harry, maybe his painful death had something to teach just you specifically, as he's foremost an Angel to yourself?

in Wilhelm's translation:

57.1 - In advancing and in retreating, The perseverance of a warrior furthers.

this could describe how he wasn't ready to depart yet and leave you. he was a warrior and could cope with the pain, but maybe he somehow understood that you needed more time to adjust to the thought of him being gone? could it be that he wanted to help you to return to your own path or the right way of living (transitional line 9.1)?

57.4 talks about dissipation or having no regrets, maybe it's also a message that you did all you could to help, but there are still others to look after... while 57.5, indeed talks about transformation of sort, or a reform. if you live through your Angel's painful death and eventually also allow yourself to let him go - wouldn't that make you automatically stronger on your own? i do agree that it is difficult not to think of rebirth of some sort in the context of this line but that's a question we'll probably never going to know answers to while still on this side...

overall, as 57 is translated often as the gentle, wind (also it's about adaptiation) and 14 is flame over heaven, it seems to me his gentle spirit has reunited with other sparks in heaven... but 14 also mentions that the two trigrams indicate that strength and clarity unite. perhaps the amount of pain you empathised with was for you to find some new strenght and clarity within... ?

F

Freedda

Looking at the transitional hexagrams (and lines), the Yi or perhaps Harry might be saying:

Adaptation - continue on - it has been rewarding to meet the great being: you and Harry have had the great good fortune of being together for a brief time. Let this serve you in finding direction in life. (57) And whatever direction you decide to go in, your resolve and ability to adapt will serve you. (57.1)

Find fulfillment here, in your small modest life, not out there in the future or somewhere on the horizon. (9.0) The grief will end (the bleeding stops, anxiety leaves); move on without blame or error. (9.4)

Persist in whatever creative endevour you wish (1.0), like a dragon flying across the sky, rewarding and carrying you onward. (1.5)

In the end, be like the sun at midday. Make this domain - this world; this life - great by making it yours. Living your life fully, promote good, not bad; be accepting; find fulfillment in the everyday. (14)

Best, David.

Last edited:

galatea11

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Legume and David, for your incredible replies. I'm in the midst of a nonstop weekend of work but will post again as soon as I have more time to reflect on the amazing notions you have presented. Harry's painful death really troubled me. His predecessor, now known in my heart as Original Harry, is also believed to have had a blood clot at the time of his death in 2012. A vet euthanized Original Harry to stop the pain. Incidentally, I did not choose the name "Harry" for either cat. Original Harry came with his name and Angel Harry was a foster kitten who returned to me - his (intended) adoptive family had named him Harry. That both Harrys died in pain had placed very troubling questions in my head. Your words have already soothed me. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I will post again when time permits.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).