...life can be translucent

Menu

61.2 > 42 Should I ask him on a date?

SeeBeauty

visitor
Reaction score
Hello All.

Some background - I went through a big breakup about 2 years ago. Since then I have been fully and completely immersed in opening a business of my own, which I now see as my "phoenix" of sorts, along with all of the spiritual growth that the process of all that work has inspired.

Anyhow, I am just now beginning to dip my toes into dating again. I live in a very small, rural place, I am 37 years old, and the "pool" is quite small around here...

Through a friends reference my mother has hired a carpenter to build a new garage at her house. I have had numerous pleasant interactions with him over the last months, and through that friend that referred him I know that he is single, and that he and I would supposedly get on well. I feel a very strong attraction to him and have been somewhat "obsessed" with getting to know him better. It is not generally in my nature to make the first move, but in this scenario I think I may have to be. I feel like the attraction is likely mutual, but I also get the impression that he is somewhat "old fashioned" and would not make any kind of move until the project at my mothers house is finished, which may not be for a few months yet.

Some months ago I spontaneously bought two tickets to a musical performance, thinking that I would just figure out who to go with as the date comes closer. Today I inquired "what if I invite J to the show with me?" and received 61.2, changing to 42. This is the second time I received this sequence regarding this person, the first time being two days after I first met him, when the inquiry was a general "what is the potential here..."

I see the line as quite auspicious, but am wondering if it encourages direct action like asking him on a date, or if it would be more of a suggestion to wait, let things take their natural course, and that if it's "meant" it will all come together in due time...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yes I think this is very auspicious. If I was in your place, I would feel encouraged to ask him out, but wouldn't expect all too much from this Event - just make an offer, which Comes from the heart, and hopefully share a good evening!

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Should I ask him on a date?

Yes

and
Your situation reminds me of a friend of mine. Fifteen years ago, he was working for a locksmith/security company. He did some work in a womans home. Ten years later, he was still on her mind, so she somehow managed to find him and ask him out.
They've been happily married for five years now. (and they are good for each other)

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yes I think this is very auspicious. If I was in your place, I would feel encouraged to ask him out, but wouldn't expect all too much from this Event - just make an offer, which Comes from the heart, and hopefully share a good evening!

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

SeeBeauty

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate your consideration. As nervous as it makes me to do so, with these responses it seems I have little choice but to go for it...

And Moss Elk, thank you for the anecdote; encouraging indeed.

I will update when there is anything of consequence to mention.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate your consideration. As nervous as it makes me to do so, with these responses it seems I have little choice but to go for it...

And Moss Elk, thank you for the anecdote; encouraging indeed.

I will update when there is anything of consequence to mention.

You really do have a choice !

61.2 is an incredibly ethereal line about a heart connection between people in secret which is why it says

'Calling crane in the shadows,
Her young respond in harmony.
I have a good wine vessel,
I will share with you pouring it all out.'

Hilary's translation.

Many times for myself and others this has shown to be something that cannot necessarily be expressed openly but the connection is there none the less.

I don't especially see it that you have to ask him if you don't want to. You could just let it develop 'in the shadows' if you want to.

Never ever feel you have no choice, there is always a choice.

. I feel like the attraction is likely mutual, but I also get the impression that he is somewhat "old fashioned" and would not make any kind of move until the project at my mothers house is finished, which may not be for a few months yet.

I think it is much better if he asks you, I think it is up to the man to ask the woman and it generally doesn't work the other way around except occasionally. I don't think there's anything wrong in asking him either but if you are around him daily it is going to feel bad if for any reason he refuses.

I mean it's a lovely answer so if you feel it would be okay to ask him then ask him but you mustn't feel as if the I Ching is giving you no choice. This is a very private line, hence the 'shadows', she's calling from the shadows. That doesn't mean 'don't ask', it's your free choice and remains your free choice and there's nothing here to say 'don't ask' but there's also nothing here to say 'you must go and ask him', well there never would be since we govern our own lives .

Another thing to bear in mind is lovely answers don't necessarily mean in the romantic sense. I think Yi often gives highest potential in all relationships which doesn't always mean romance.

So yes ask him if it feels right but you don' t have to at all if it doesn't feel right.

SeeBeauty

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you, Trojina, for your commentary.

In further research of this line I came across the "editors notes" on James DeKorne's website, which spurred some further contemplation:

"We see here a hidden mother bird calling to her young to share a cup of spirits. (Wilhelm, Blofeld and Liu all translate "hidden retirement" as "shade.") The image is of a mother who cannot be seen -- i.e., a hidden source. Psychologically interpreted, this suggests the inner Self, and the shade suggests the darkness of the unconscious from which the Self calls to us. The young birds who respond to the call are the complexes of the psyche, including, of course, the conscious ego-complex. Despite conscious negative associations of alcohol with intoxication, "spirits" are a common dream symbol for the action of the spirit on consciousness. (Aqua Vitae, literally: "water of life," means alcohol or hard liquor.) The overall image then is one of the Self and its complexes united by their common "spirit."

So perhaps the "crane" and "her young" are two parts of one being...
Perhaps not...

...from the depths...
"hey you up there! this is potentially something!!"
...and here on Earth...
"you know what? I think you're right!!"

...just a thought.

Anyhow, for anyone who stumbles across this thread in future, perhaps that will add something to your process... or perhaps it's nonsense...

In regards to my carpenter crush, and my solitary "situation" in general, I have received numerous hex 53's and hex 5's, encouraging me to be patient, allow time to have its way with me, with us all... and to take care in the meantime... sometimes (usually) progress is so much slower than you ever anticipate...

I may just invite a girlfriend to the performance and let things tick slowly forward with the "other" situation. Perhaps if nothing happens by the time this project is truly complete I will make a move.

Regardless, I will keep this reading close and update when/if anything connects.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Please ignore Dekorne,
he wrote all of that and it is not a part of your reading.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It's his commentary it isn't a translation. Don't mistake it for the I Ching or what the I Ching says. If you find what he says connects with you then you can use it in your own way but remember it's just commentary and rather psychobabble heavy commentary at that.

I don't agree with Moss Elk that nothing of what he wrote might be useful to you since we can't tell what a person might connect with. I personally don't rate his commentary though.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Moss Elk, Can I ask why?

Because everything he writes about Yi, he forces it through the lens of his own religion (Gnositicism, I get the sense he is trying to 'prove-his-religion') and has many references 'new age' nonesense. some psychology here and there, and don't forget all the drugs he does. It is like his own personal notebook that no editor ever advised him on to say. "um, you know this is kind of crazy, right?"
He also holds Carol Anthony in very high esteem, putting her comments even before the image and judgement (She's a bit of a fruitcake) The fact that he does that is telling to me about the layers of his lenses and his non-recognition of it.

So. he's part fruitcake. and confused often. The only value I see in his website is that he has text from Wilhelm and Legge (until someone invokes copywrite law, that is)

Last edited:

SeeBeauty

visitor
Reaction score
I very much appreciate that information. I had not realized the background of that site and will keep that in mind for future reference. I also appreciate hearing your opinion on Carol Anthony. I have her book, and reference it from time to time. It certainly has a different "tone" to any other translation, but I do have to say there have been moments where I have found it helpful (though generally perhaps a bit repetitive and a bit 'negative', for lack of a better word). Always more to learn I suppose. Thank you again for your contributions here.

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Hello SeeBeauty!

Beautiful story, lovely line :) Others' insights are interesting. One of those threads that make you feel good.
All agree that the line is auspicious. I only add: you wonder if you should ask him on a date. The line talks about "calling in the shadow"- maybe first finding a way to insinuate that you are interested? For example, initiating a conversation about your musical tastes, the performance, the artist; then "I have a good wine vessel, I will share with you pouring it all out": I have two tickets; do you want to share the moment with me? Also, you sense that the attraction is mutual; so even before being asked on a date, the guy may grasp the occasion to go out with you if he he is informed about the show. The result hexagram- 42- is expansion: another good sign. Sounds like your "calling" expends the thing between you two.
You have the same answer for your [indeed] first question: "What is the potential here?" There is inner truth. Share the "wine"- the mutual joyful experiences, feelings, interests, etc with the other- and there will be expansion (42).

Good Luck!

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
I very much appreciate that information. I had not realized the background of that site and will keep that in mind for future reference. I also appreciate hearing your opinion on Carol Anthony. I have her book, and reference it from time to time. It certainly has a different "tone" to any other translation, but I do have to say there have been moments where I have found it helpful (though generally perhaps a bit repetitive and a bit 'negative', for lack of a better word). Always more to learn I suppose. Thank you again for your contributions here.

Anthony gets some things very right here and there, and other times no.
(as does everyone who starts learning)

But, it is like the expression:
a stopped clock is right twice a day
There are more useful clocks around.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)