...life can be translucent

Menu

Tricky decision 1.3 turning to 10

freimuth

visitor
Reaction score
I co-operate for a pivotal project with an influential person at another institution. She is independent from me although we share the project. I have recently discovered a flaw in the project that might have serious repercussions should it come to the light. One the one hand, I am convinced that my assessment of the risks associated with the flaw is right and that they can be eliminated with the proper procedure. On the other hand, in this type of co-operation one is not supposed to tell one's partners what they should do and I certainly would not like to annoy my partner. I asked the I Ching whether/how I should approach my partner and I got 1.3 turning to 10. Should I interpret this an encouragement to go ahead and tell her what I think it's wrong? Any clue about her reaction? Any suggestion is welcome.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think 10 as the relating hexagram reflects what you're saying about caution, and respect for your partner, who you say is influential. 10 is about treading behind a tiger, someone or something powerful that could eat you.

Line 1.3 as advice for "creating" (hexagram 1) in that kind of atmosphere...I think in your situation, Yi's saying to make absolutely sure you're right. Are there any angles you haven't considered, anything you might not know about, anything you may not have seen? Especially if you don't have as much experience or stature? You said your partner is "influential" - I took that to mean relative to you. Not only might she have higher status, maybe she simply knows more. Hexagram 10 often does reflect a power or status difference - the tiger is more powerful than the creature treading carefully behind it.

Your question was literally whether and/or how to approach a tiger. I think the line means to make doubly, triply, quadruply (...) sure you're right.

From Hilary's book -
'Noble one creates and creates to the end of the day,
At nightfall on the alert, as if in danger.
No mistake.'

So not only are you busy all day long with this, Yi says that even when night comes, you still can't or shouldn't rest, because there might be danger in doing so. So if you think you've checked and checked all day long, and still think there's a flaw - check and check all night, too. And again. And again. Yi says all of this is "no mistake."

This might mean more than repeatedly going back over what you've already done. "At nightfall on the alert, as if in danger" - nighttime is dark. Dangers aren't as visible as in the day. So whatever you think the problem is - examine your reasons in the visible, obvious ways, but also in hidden ways and from obscure angles. Maybe you're missing something.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
~~~ crossed posts ~~~

Another thought - let's say you're right and there is a flaw, when you do approach her you will have to explain it. What if she wouldn't understand right away? You might have to explain much more thoroughly than you think, or you might have to answer a bunch of questions. Better to be over-prepared for things like that than under-prepared. If you don't convince her the first time and she dismisses your argument, you might not get a second chance. (Just like with a real tiger.)

I've had things like this happen in real life. I once went to a manager with something and after two sentences back and forth I realized I wasn't seeing it right. Very embarrassing. Fortunately he was nice about it. I've also been in situations where I was unable to answer more than the most superficial questions - also embarrassing.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I would also add that 1.3 taken to an extreme can indicate an inability to act. We never can know ALL the answers. There comes a point where one just has to 1.4 jump off the cliff and fly. Hexagram 10 also represents a situation where our own fear of The All Powerful Oz can stymy our approach. So be as certain as you can be but at some point more preparation doesn't help. You just have to calmly and cooly present the facts as you see them. Fortunately 10. says "The tiger does not bite the man."

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).