...life can be translucent

Menu

How do I manage my sexual energy? 30.1.2.3.4 >4

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
I asked "How do I manage my sexual energy?" and got 30.1.2.3.4> 4

The sexual energy is Shining & Warming Like a Fire (30) and I'm still pretty Inexperienced (4) in dealing with it:
30.1: "Treading in confusion. Honour it – not a mistake." I don't still know how to manage this inner fire in the most efficient way. It's natural for a beginner.
30.2: "Clear golden light. From the source, good fortune." The fire shine brilliantly. It's a fuel to life & happiness. I sometimes realize this potential to its fullest...
30.3: "In the clear light of the setting sun, If not beating a pot and singing, Then you will be making the lament of great old age. Pitfall." Other times, instead of being present & enjoying my sexual energy that will eventually shut down, I get obsessed with the past, the opportunities I've missed, the good days that don't repeat.
30.4:"Sudden, it comes, Burns, Dies, Thrown out." And some other times I consume this energy too intensely in often non-constructive ways, and burn it out. So true.

When four lines change I also read the upper unchanging line: " The king goes to fight. Victory. He kills the leader and captures the followers. No blame." My sexual energy is mainly diverted to the fight/struggle for what I believe/want. It's a great fuel that leads me to victory. I get this line: the sexual energy can be directed toward many things that apparently have nothing to do with the sexual/romantic life, although there is always some type of passion. I guess that's the case for me. Killing the leader & capturing the followers indicate the influence my fight has on others: sometimes you enter a battle where one defeats another, sometimes you persuade others and they willingly follow your thoughts. I'm a Martian girl- I'm more of a fighter than appeaser (I dislike the second role to be honest).

What do you think?

Lavalamp

visitor
Reaction score
I would read the hexes in general - too many lines.
"How do I manage my sexual energy?" (Note "Do" is present tense, not "Should" which is future and only potential.)
30 - fire rising twice. The fire is dependent on what it is consuming, It clings and makes heat and light. If it consumes it entirely the light goes out.
4 - Inexperienced with a lot to learn. Youthful Folly. Parsifal dancing on the edge of the abyss. "Often the I Ching uses this hexagram to show us that we should not be asking this question." -- D.F. Hook

Does not sound like any long term prospects here, in what you are doing now. If you are overly dependent, you will burn your partners out.

- LL

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Does not sound like any long term prospects here, in what you are doing now. If you are overly dependent, you will burn your partners out.
- LL
I mean how do I mange it in general. I have no partner to burn out :)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I asked "How do I manage my sexual energy?" and got 30.1.2.3.4> 4

The first thing I notice is how weird it is to get 30, Clarity, suggesting there is insight and seeing alongside hexagram 4, Not Knowing.

As a sentence this is Clarity's Not Knowing which at first glance seems a contradiction in terms.

The other thing I notice is how the lines end on line 4, where it comes, burns and then dies which sounds like sexual energy, sounds like climax doesn't it..

it actually says from Wilhelm

'It's coming is sudden (hee hee)
It flames up, dies down and is thrown away.'

it's almost like Yi made a dirty joke with the 'coming' and all that

So it stops there at line 4, once the orgasm is reached, well naturally.

I don't know where I'm going with this I'm just noticing things. It doesn't reach the king line, line 5. Line 5 is where one discovers one's own agency and sense of self.

In line 5, which you didn't get, there's floods of tears, as there can be after sex, but you don't get that far.

Change patterns are yang 34 and yin 20, the only way 34 and 4 talk to each other is via great vigour and seeing, action then contemplation.

This is rather a personal suggestion but I wonder as a direct answer to the question you observe the stages of your arousal, pleasure, culmination, afterwards. The lines make me think of those 4 stages.

The 4 makes me think you might gain some insight (30) by really looking at and reflecting on those stages of your sexual experience which is a highly personal venture and not something I'd think you'd want to share :blush:

I'm now wondering if the question was simply asking for a picture of how you manage your sexual energy - in which case you have a crystal clear picture there, ahem OR you were asking 'how should I manage it ?'.

I think as a picture of how you manage it the lines show the stages, the beginnings in line 1, vague feelings, images, arousal, possibly in line 3 you want it to last longer than it does, then line 4 where it's done, whoosh, gone - that's orgasm. I'm sure we wouldn't want to remain in eternal orgasm, we wouldn't get anything done ;)

I'm not sure but I'd suggest getting to know your own process better and also maybe notice it doesn't reach your heart where the tears are in line 5.

That's not to say there's anything wrong, Yi may just be giving you the picture you asked for.

I think looking at the change patterns and the 4 lines it might benefit you to observe yourself 'in action' so to speak and to really notice what happens after line 4. Maybe there is nothing. I know some people feel sad, others at peace, others sleep, some cry. I think perhaps what happens post orgasm might be a clue to how one is using one's sexual energy.

This post is very much a 'stream of consciousness' it's not a reading I could come to a conclusion on, naturally since it's very private, but it's a very interesting reading isn't it. And of course we are talking about sexual energy and sexual experience not in connection with another person but what it is just for you, your own sexual nature.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 4. describes something that must be experienced to be understood. Maybe you need to get out more...

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
I'm now wondering if the question was simply asking for a picture of how you manage your sexual energy - in which case you have a crystal clear picture there?
This. After reading the answers I thought it was better to phrase my question differently, like "How am I managing ..." that highlights the present tense; or even better: "Please give me a picture of how am I managing...". I was asking for insight into how my sexual energy is being managed in the reality of my life now, NOT how should I manage it. And by sexual energy I mean the "libido", the raw motivating force that isn't necessarily presented by sexual activity- and I'm not sexually active at this moment (unless in my fantasies) as I have no partner.
I'm not sure but I'd suggest getting to know your own process better and also maybe notice it doesn't reach your heart where the tears are in line 5.
That's right. I first need someone with whom I can have a constructive sexual relationship, which isn't the case of most guys I encounter. They are hungry for sex as if they want to record a score. No real communication. Even no real attraction to the other party. Just having sex with as much girls (people?) as possible. I even doubt it's really about sexual urge because I don't see the energy, the "physical symptoms" of a horny person in them, if you know what I'm saying. More of a competition with other guys & ego validation. They often need drugs/alcohol to open up & go farther. No genuine move. No genuine pleasure. I find having sex with these people non-sense, if not destructive. And I'm sure they add nothing to me- of course if it's not confirmation of my idea that there is no point in having sex with them. It will be a waste of sexual energy indeed.
This post is very much a 'stream of consciousness' it's not a reading I could come to a conclusion on, naturally since it's very private, but it's a very interesting reading isn't it.
And I wanted knowledge- consciousness of what's happening- when I sterted it :)
And of course we are talking about sexual energy and sexual experience not in connection with another person but what it is just for you, your own sexual nature.
Well pointed.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Occurs to me the word “managing” implies controlling and directing. Is 30-4 saying the sexual urge is instinctive and there for unmanageable?

Other possibilities...
30.1 the first conscious inklings of the urge to partner
30.2 Connection!
30.3 But then thoughts of the one who got away...
30.4 intercourse that does not lead to pregnancy.
30.5 intercourse that does lead to pregnancy.
30.6 so now the now this new life takes over and Mom becomes its devoted partner. Sorry, Dad, you’re no longer king.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
So to plug those thoughts about the meaning of the lines for 30.1.2.3.4. Into your question, maybe the IC is saying you are managing your sexual energy in a way designed to avoid pregnancy.
SO THE ANSWER IS:

You are managing your sexual energy by practicing abstinence!!!

Well, you asked...:)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Sexual energy doesn't simply/only equate to intercourse, nor does sexual activity come to that.

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Good point. Maybe this was what Freud was onto when he talked about sexual sublimation and some activities being symbolic substitutes for sex. Like all energy is sexual energy at it's source, the eternal pull of yin and yang. So then can the question be simplified to "How do I manage my energy?" and then you could add on what ever activity you were particularly wanting to know about, thus, "How do I manage my energy when it comes to sex?" or "How do I manage my energy when it comes to yard sales?"

30.1.2.3.4 - 4 for insight about yard sales

30.1. Lots of random do dads. Urge to find something.
30.2. Hurray, finding a prize!
30.3. Later thinking about ones left behind.
30.4.The do dad is fun for a bit and then tossed away.
4. You never know whats out there till you try!

hmm.. this exercise makes a good mind stretch.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. Maybe this was what Freud was onto when he talked about sexual sublimation and some activities being symbolic substitutes for sex. Like all energy is sexual energy at it's source, the eternal pull of yin and yang. So then can the question be simplified to "How do I manage my energy?"

No, I didn't mean anything like sexual sublimation, I was just saying a person's own sexuality does not revolve entirely around intercourse, it's bigger and wider and broader than that.

So no I don't see that the question could be changed to 'How do I manage my energy ?' since the question was specifically about sexual energy.

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
As a more experienced person I read and understand this thread's answer in a different light now. Still I'm a beginner.
In line 5, which you didn't get, there's floods of tears, as there can be after sex, but you don't get that far.
You are spot on Trojina! Although sex is funny, I can't find the famous connection between it and emotions.

radiofreewill

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi marybluesky,

"How do I manage my sexual energy?"
30.1.2.3.4 to 4 ~ It is folly to cling to the transient:

"Go and Enjoy Your Life":

Your sexual energy is to you...

...as his depression energy is/was to him.

I hope this helps!

Wild Goose

visitor
Reaction score
Wait is that sexual energy though, especially all the fire imagery, it makes me think more of passion (it's just the more aggressive, rabble rousing kind) if anything, maybe something in the physical arts, be it martial, energy or performing arts, energy wise I think there are yoga styles that deal with inner heat and fire and even sex, heck maybe even a sport though the reason I think the other things first is because the title says manage it and 30 and 4 make me think to manage it you would need to understand it first which maybe you currently don't? Like 30 and 4 makes me think you know you don't know, like the person who knows and knows they don't know (and thus is a student) in the old proverb, and energy, martial and performing arts would probably teach more about understanding internal energy and that kind of thing. Martial and performing also have a spectator element that might be suitable. Anyway, my random guesses for what it's worth.

Wild Goose

visitor
Reaction score
I have a browser extension that gives quotes whenever I log on and today it said:

“Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.”

I realise I kind of just told you what to do here, I mean if the answer is indeed learning more about your energy in order to manage it, it might be worth asking something like 'what do I need to know/be clear about in order to manage my sexual energy better?'.

And if by any chance it turns out you do want to take up some sort of art something like 'what is the most beneficial practice for learning about/understanding/managing my sexual energy better'

Edit: Also since you asked a 'How' question I would look at those changing lines as steps in a 'How to', like step 1.Be sincere in your efforts and allow for mistakes, step 2.Be crystal clear in your intentions and make sure they align with your words, thoughts and actions, step 3. and so on, I find the LiSe commentaries helpful with that kind of thing, I often visit there for my How to and criteria questions.

Last edited:

cavarose

visitor
Reaction score
Another option that speaks to me in relation to Hexagram 4 is to study Tao Love Healing practices to learn how our sexual energy can be gone and harnessed. The Yi is but one branch of Tao.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).