...life can be translucent

Menu

New job or not new job... that is the question!

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
I’m thinking 🤔 of looking for a new job as the commute is becoming costly. Hexagram 6 came up with no changing lines so I guess that answers the question... or does it? Any alternative views out there or do you al think it’s quite cut and dry? 😊

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What was your question, exactly?

Sometimes hexagram 6 can mean spending a lot of energy :hissy: rather than getting to work solving the problem, but I'm not sure what that has to do with you thinking about getting a new job. Maybe if there are no jobs with an easier commute? (Jobs that would be reasonable for you; I don't know what you do.) That could be hexagram 6 in the sense of "when this is just how things are, arguing won't help" - but I don't know that.

Hexagram 6 doesn't sound completely devoid of all hope, maybe. Here's what the oracle text says:

'Arguing.
There is truth and confidence, blocked.
Vigilant and centred, good fortune.
Ending, pitfall.
Fruitful to see great people,
Fruitless to cross the great river.'

So there is "good fortune" in being vigilant and centered, and it is "fruitful to see great people." Do "vigilance" or "centeredness" ring any bells? "Great people" can be actual other people, or your own inner wisdom. Hilary says in her Language of Change e-book glossary that it can also mean "seeing the big picture."

"Fruitless to cross the great river" - copying and/or paraphrasing things from Language of Change , your reading is warning against hasty, irrevocable actions you're not prepared for. (In ancient China, there weren't bridges, so crossing rivers was difficult and dangerous. It wasn't done without careful preparation, and being sure that what was on the other side would be okay.)

Of course, you haven't said you're thinking of making any hasty decisions, so maybe that part of the text isn't the most important part for you.

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
I guess my main issue is that I was hoping to retire soon but that has been compounded by having to take on a new mortgage that will mean I have to work past retirement age. I’ve also had to move a bit of a distance from my place of work to afford a home.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I can certainly understand feeling :hissy: about all that. This doesn't help us with your reading, though.

What was your question, exactly. I'm hoping it will help to know what you were asking Yi for, what kind of question it was, and then (hopefully!) we'll be able to look at the reading from the right angle.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
For instance, I could see 6uc meaning something like, "that's just the way it is, Mithras, no use arguing about it," if your "question" was a complaint about your situation. (I've had ample personal experience along those lines :bag: ...we do have to complain at times, I think it's reasonable to do that, it just usually doesn't solve anything.)

But it seems you were asking something about getting a new job, vs. the job you currently have, so that you don't have to drive so far - that doesn't seem the same to me, so I'm having trouble imagining why Yi would have answered with 6uc.

So, what exactly did you ask?

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Liselle, I’m very much a Taoist in my outlook on life so definitely appreciate the ebb and flow of the great Tao in our lives. My question was: Shall I look for a new job closer to home to enable me to reduce commuting costs?Let me know what you think 🤔

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Shall I look for a new job closer to home to enable me to reduce commuting costs?Let me know what you think ��

Okay, so that was your question, and Yi answered with hexagram 6 unchanging, Arguing.

You: "Shall I look for a new job closer to home...?"
Yi: "Well, Mithras...Arguing. There is truth and confidence, blocked. Vigilant and centred, good fortune. Ending, pitfall. Fruitful to see great people, Fruitless to cross the great river."

I can think of two ways to see this. One would be if Yi is answering a question more like "Yi, what if I looked for a new job closer to home...?" and then the answer might say something like "What is down that path is (hexagram 6)."

Does that sound reasonable to you? Do you have any reason in real life to think that looking for a new job closer to home would be like that?

My guess is that the answer would apply to the job search generally, rather than to any particular new job. Looking for a job is what you asked about, and you could always ask about specifics should you be offered something. I think you're too far away from that right now, but maybe it can't be ruled out altogether.

Another possibility might be that Yi's saying something like, "Well, Mithras, your current situation is causing you a lot of dissatisfaction, so......................."

Any chance a real river could be involved? Yi says "fruitless to cross" it.

D

diamanda

Shall I look for a new job closer to home to enable me to reduce commuting costs?
06 unchanging

It's a good idea overall but because of the answer it doesn't sound realistically possible ("you are sincere but being obstructed"). The hexagram also advises to look for middle ground and to see the great man, but it's not favoured at all to cross the big river (i.e. it's not favoured at the moment to begin a great new venture). The great man might be your boss. Any possibility that you can speak with them to find a solution, e.g. to work from home more, or whatever else depending on the nature of your job?

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
Good point diamanda. It may work to my benefit to discuss the situation with my boss although she’s a great woman not man! It guess the oracle is being subjective there and not literal.I will see how tomorrow goes and see if the opportunity arises. Which translation of the oracle do you work to? Same question applies to Liselle.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Today's creativity award goes to Diamanda - good suggestion!

I mostly use Hilary's, plus Bradford Hatcher's, LiSe's, Wilhelm's from time to time.

(But don't blame any of them for my lack of creativity.)

D

diamanda

Mainly Wilhelm, Legge, Tuck Chang, and also checking character translation sites.
Liselle - thanks for the award! :D

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Mithras, I do hope you'll come back and let us know what happens? We really appreciate that. :)

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
Really interesting regarding the translations used. I’ve used the R L Wing translation for many years. I do like the point about how the question is worded. I feel I should rephrase my question and ask again. Will let you both know what turns up with the next reading.

Mithras59

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Liselle and diamanda.Well, I worded the question: "What would be the outcome if I looked for a job closer to home?"I got Hexagram 31 Attraction with no changing lines. I'm just going through the Interpretation but I thought I would share sooner rather than late.Time now for a hot bath after a hectic day at work so will check back later.Many thanksMithras

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).