...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you keep track of your castings: journal software vs. other means?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedda View Post
    Well, let's see ... I start with notes I take on recycled paper, some of which become posts on this site. The unused recycled paper stack gets smaller and the stack with my Yi notes gets larger, until it is so large, it ends in the recycle bin.

However, I am thinking that once I retire at the end of the year, I'll try to get more organized and make use of the Resonance Journal software I bought about a year ago ... but then again that may have to take a back seat landscaping my yard and finally cleaning my house and ...

Best, D.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Oh, you have posted many things since I started writing this (sorry for all the post-crossing)
    -----

The very handy reference parts of Resonance Journal are probably pretty much "forever," though. Fortunately it's a downloadable standalone program, not some web-based thing that could disappear overnight.

I do see your point, though. I have many readings stuck in the old San Shan program, which has become incompatible with modern computers so I can't access them now. There might be ways around it - Flashlight in a different thread encouraged me to try emulators - but it's a job I have to get to... *weary sigh*

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidity View Post
    Just for kicks I ran the alternative like you suggested: "What if I switched to the Resonance Journal?" and got

61.2.6 Inner Truth > 3 Difficulty at the Beginning
    WB .2: "A crane calling in the shade. Its young answers it. I have a good goblet. I will share it with you.
    WB .6: "Cockcrow penetrating to heaven. Perseverance brings misfortune.
    Hrm.... It sounds like it perhaps would enable me to make more connections. It's certainly taking the "good goblet" that is being shared in terms of the software and partaking of it.

On the other hand, perhaps it's trying too hard to change something that doesn't need fixing; it's just overly ambitious in the wrong way (.6).
    Nothing other than what you said yourself comes immediately to mind about your reading, but interestingly, the icon Hilary selected for Resonance Journal is related to hexagram 61.

The box with the pole through it has to do with this (from Hilary's book, in the Oracle section of hexagram 61):

The Chinese character for ‘inner’, a square with a vertical line through its centre, probably originally represents a drum mounted on a pole. It suggests centrality and balance, and also the vibrations that carry through an inner space.
    [...]
    The very present truth vibrates through you like a drumbeat; you apprehend it directly, as an inner resonance. The lines of the hexagram itself show a space at the centre, open to listen and resound with the intensity of experience.
    Here she explains specifically about using it as the software icon:
    Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    (It's Justin's work - I hate making icons.)

The character is zhong, meaning 'centre', as in zhong fu, Hexagram 61. It may show a flagstaff planted to mark the centre of a settlement - or (and I like this idea best) it may show a drum mounted on a pole. So that gives the idea of something that resonates through the centre. It also has meanings like 'centred', balanced and connected. It seemed like a good thing to be clicking to bring up a journal.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidity View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts... the main reason is that software programs go out of development sometimes and then their data is hard to retrieve, but that's not true with text files. Those are forever.

I can search my text files, but it's definitely a bit more cumbersome than with the software, no doubt.
    Very good point. (Not that we have any plans to stop developing the Resonance Journal, on the contrary, but still, good point.) This is why, under 'Entries' in the Resonance Journal, you'll find an option to export all entries to Excel. xls files are also pretty close to 'forever', and they preserve the data structure so it's easier to use than in plain text.
    Forum remodelling coming soon!
    See this thread for news and previews.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

5 stars for Resonance journal!

It's easy to review same hexagram experiences all together, a library of resources can be on hand for reference (so far, I'm only using Hilary's which comes with the RJ though), it's set up to be able to see how hexagrams are trending at a glance, it has exploring capability by being able to sort whatever is tagged, and has a variety of journaling options such as notes, dreams, translations, etc. It's just the best.
    We were made to enjoy music, to enjoy beautiful sunsets, to enjoy looking at the billows of the sea and to be thrilled with a rose that is bedecked with dew…human beings are actually created for the transcendent, for the sublime, for the beautiful, for the truthful. ~Desmond Tutu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2