...life can be translucent

Menu

Assignment: 59.2.6 to 8 and 28.1.4.5 to 11

Fanofenka

Inactive
Reaction score
Lately, I was doubting about the assignment in one of my classes. I feared of getting reported for plagiarism, but my peers insist that they'll be fine.

I asked, "Why am I worrying?" 59.2.6 Dispersing to 8 Seeking Union.
Line 2 says, "Dispersing, flee to your support. Regrets vanish." Am I relying too much on my peers for help?
Line 6 says, "Dispersing blood. Leave, go out and far away. Not a mistake." Will my worrying help me in the end?

I then asked, "What will happen after the assignment is submitted?" 28.1.4.5 Great Exceeding to 11 Flow.
Line 1 says, "For the offering mat, use white thatch grass. No mistake." Will the assignment be transparent?
Line 4 says, "The ridgepole at its peak, good fortune. If there is more, shame." Will my group reach the highest grade offered?
Line 5 says, "Withered willow sprouts flowers, Venerable woman gets an upright husband. No blame, no praise." Does this mean everything will go as planned?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Lately, I was doubting about the assignment in one of my classes. I feared of getting reported for plagiarism, but my peers insist that they'll be fine.

If you are doing assignments in education then when you quote someone you have to say who you are quoting, you can't just throw quotes in as you do here. Above you are using a translation but fail to say who's translation it is ?

It matters because that person who did the translation should always be credited and also it's helpful for us to know.

It's kind of linked to plagiarism in a round about way. If I take a chunk of someone else's writing and don't say who wrote it and then go on to claim it as my own writing that is plagiarism and plagiarism will make any assignment worth no marks at all and rightly so.

Hence it is good practice to start crediting the person you quote - otherwise it's a bit like stealing and it's not fair on the person who wrote that translation not to have credit for it.

So if you have copied chunks of texts out in your assignment without crediting the author, without being clear you are quoting, trying to pass it off as your own then yes you should worry about plagiarism.

You don't need the I Ching to tell you about that you only have to consider whether or not you have been guilty of plagiarism.

So please when quoting a translation get out of the plagiarism type habit and make sure to say who you are quoting.

I just wonder why you haven't been taught this already ?

You ask
I asked, "Why am I worrying?

Because you, as you have told us, have plagiarised other people's work and you shouldn't have done so. That is why you are worried.

But maybe they don't care about plagiarism at the level of education you are at which is why your friends think it doesn't matter ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But maybe they don't care about plagiarism at the level of education you are at which is why your friends think it doesn't matter

That was a stupid thing for me to say because it matters at every level of education from 5 years old upwards.

When I was 5 we were told not just to copy out of books - not that we had to credit authors as we were too young, but we were made to understand we couldn't just copy out of books.

When I taught adults some of them just copied chunks of the book because they thought it was better than their own writing but of course how can a teacher mark work of an author not the actual student ? The teacher is trying to find out what you know not what another author knows.

It is utterly pointless to copy other's work. And anyway it is always completely obvious when someone is copying from a book. Why did you do this ? What for ?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the same class as in this other thread, MKT 3400? Or a different class?

If so, part of the problem seems to be - correct me if I'm wrong - that this is a group assignment, so it's not completely up to Fanofenka, and he will suffer if he's the only one paying attention to it.

Also, the second reading here, 28.1.4.5 > 11, sounds familiar to me. Did you also post it in a different thread, or did you post a thread with a similar reading about some other topic?

I have a truly terrible memory, though, so I could just as easily be confusing it with another member's reading/thread, or for that matter a reading of my own :bag:.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck is MKT I wonder.

Anyway it all seems so weird, like if it is a group assignment why are they focused on plagiarism ?

There's not enough information here and if there is plagiarism then it's wrong so why are these friends saying it doesn't matter ?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck is MKT I wonder.
Marketing. In the U.S., colleges and universities have course numbering schemes like this, where there will be an abbreviation for the subject (MKT, ENG - engineering, and so forth) followed by a number indicating the specific course, e.g. PHY 101 might be the first, introductory physics class. Every school has its own scheme, but they're broadly similar.

Anyway it all seems so weird, like if it is a group assignment why are they focused on plagiarism ?
My guess would be that they're still doing research using outside sources which could be plagiarized. Another guess - since Fanofenka and/or his professors seem, from what he's posted on Clarity, to be concerned with little else in life but plagiarism - is that nowadays it might be easier to check for. Assignments are handed in electronically, sources are electronic, there are things like Turnitin ("Turn It In"). Instead of a professor relying on his memory and looking for cues like mismatched writing styles and so forth, he just runs it through something, just like a fingerprint database. This is probably generally good, but...

There's not enough information here and if there is plagiarism then it's wrong so why are these friends saying it doesn't matter ?
Don't know / hence Fanofenka's concerns?

Fanofenka

Inactive
Reaction score
What I meant was that one of my peers have a paid subscription that offers grammatical and plagiarism checking. Much of what I did for the assignment was sourced, but I felt I could paraphrase or summarize it. We will revise and check it for plagiarism.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What I meant was that one of my peers have a paid subscription that offers grammatical and plagiarism checking. Much of what I did for the assignment was sourced, but I felt I could paraphrase or summarize it. We will revise and check it for plagiarism.

Well now I'm also wondering why you're worried. If you can use a paid (which hopefully means "good" and "thorough") service to check your work, then there shouldn't be a single thing to worry about, should there? I mean, as long as you allow enough time to fix anything it might catch, but you will have thought of that already.

Fanofenka

Inactive
Reaction score
Dropping a Class: 19.1 to 7 and 35.2.6 to 40

I feel that there is a situation where the professor can fail my group and report us to the deans. However, if I stay, I might pass the class.

I asked, "What would happen if I drop a class?" 19.1 Nearing to 7 The Army.
Line 1 says, "Influence nearing. Constancy, good fortune." Would it benefit me?

I then asked, "What would happen if I stay in the class until the last day of the class?" 35.2.6 Advancing to 40 Release.
Line 2 says, "Now advancing, now apprehensive. Constancy, good fortune. Accepting fine armour, Blessing from your ancestral mother." Will I be able to achieve the class?
Line 6 says, "Advancing with your horns. Holding fast, use this to subjugate the city. Danger, good fortune, not a mistake. Constancy: shame." Will I be able to enjoy the experience?

Readings by HB: I Ching With Clarity.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
By any chance is this about a class you've done other readings about and posted in other threads?

If so, I think it would help people give you better feedback if you at least link to any threads that are connected. Then people will have access to the information and background you've written elsewhere, as well as other readings you've done about the same subject.

Another, maybe better option - if you're posting a reading that's a follow-up to a reading you've already posted, just post the follow-up reading in the same thread as the first one, like a conversation you're having with Yi on the topic. That way everything will be in one place, it's easier to look at, and it will flow together better.

Either of those would be better than a conversation that spans entirely disconnected threads.

(Needless to say this is just my opinion, and I'm only guessing about this being connected to other things.)

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. What would you prefer - having them merged? Adding links to the threads?

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, below any post in this thread, click on the little triangle with an exclamation point inside. That's the "report post" button. Write a note to the moderators asking them to merge this thread with the other, earlier thread, and then paste the url to the other thread.

What will happen is that the posts in this thread will be added to the earlier thread, and all the posts will keep their own date and time and they'll stay in chronological order.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, Hilary.

But now that two threads have been merged, I see I asked Fanofenka a question up above about a third thread.

Is this the same class as in this other thread, MKT 3400? Or a different class?

Fanofenka - is all of this about the same class? If so, what would you think about also merging the third thread? (Same thing - click the "report post" button, and ask the moderators to merge this thread with https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/fri...400-Final-Assignment-46-uc-and-34-1-2-4-to-15)

The reason I think this is important - if these are all about the same class, then I think when you asked about dropping the class, and got 19.1 > 7, I think that reading is telling you not to drop it. But since I think it's a bit of an indirect answer from Yi, it would be really easy to come to the opposite conclusion without all the background.

If all these are about the same class, I think 19.1 > 7 is advising you to take the right approach with the class and the assignment, have a "campaign mentality" about it, be "constant" to what you have to do (from line 1), and then everything will be fine and you'll pass. I also think 19 is warning you about hasty actions (like dropping the class): "Arrival at the eighth month means a pitfall" from the oracle part of it.

Of course this is just my guess! But you said in the other thread that you have a paid service you can run the assignment through to check it. So if all this is about MKT 3400, and if what you're still worried about is being failed for plagiarism - use the paid service, make sure you have time to fix any problems it finds, and then it will be okay.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).