...life can be translucent

Menu

Pursue a new career possibility? 41.1.3.5 > 57

liquidity

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm considering a new career option that I'm torn about. On the one hand it serves a cause I really value; on the other hand, I am worried that it may take me away from my real talents.

What about pursuing it?
41.1.3.5 Decrease > 57 The Gentle

Legge .1: “The first line, dynamic, shows its subject suspending his own affairs, and hurrying away to help the subject of the fourth line. He will commit no error, but let him consider how far he should contribute of what is his for the other.

.1 clearly reflects my worries — would I be sacrificing my deeper talents to help a worthy cause? Unclear.

Legge .3: “The third line, magnetic, shows how of three men walking together, the number is diminished by one; and how one, walking, finds his friend.

It sounds like this may end up rebalancing my life in a good way?

Legge .5: “The fifth line, magnetic, shows parties adding to the stores of its subject ten pairs of tortoise shells, and accepting no refusal. There will be great good fortune.

And this of course is a very good omen.

It sounds like overall like it could be a good idea. But it’s unclear because of that .1.

Any thoughts?

F

Freedda

So I'm considering a new career option that I'm torn about .... What about pursuing it? 41.1.3.5 Decrease > 57 The Gentle

Legge .1: “The first line, dynamic, shows its subject suspending his own affairs, and hurrying away to help the subject of the fourth line. He will commit no error, but let him consider how far he should contribute of what is his for the other.

.1 clearly reflects my worries — would I be sacrificing my deeper talents to help a worthy cause? Unclear.
Liquidity, an interesting response. I'll try to look at more closely at some point.

But for now, a question: are you, or have you considered, looking at the actual text of the Yi, instead of another person's interpretation of it? I'm asking because I think the text of the oracle and the lines let's you 'get inside' the imagery and meaning of the hexagram and lines, whereas reading someone else's interpretation sometimes does not - it's as if you're seeing the response through Legge-color glasses. Just a thought - make use of it if it's useful for you.

Best, D.

liquidity

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Liquidity, an interesting response. I'll try to look at more closely at some point.

But for now, a question: are you, or have you considered, looking at the actual text of the Yi, instead of another person's interpretation of it? I'm asking because I think the text of the oracle and the lines let's you 'get inside' the imagery and meaning of the hexagram and lines, whereas reading someone else's interpretation sometimes does not - it's as if you're seeing the response through Legge-color glasses. Just a thought - make use of it if it's useful for you.

Best, D.

I'm a little confused. What I posted is the actual text -- Legge is the translator. This is not his commentary (he gives that separately), it's a translation. Or did you mean something else?

ZeroPoint

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm not following...Legge's lines don't read like a translation to me...copies from elsewhere:

Decreasing: there is truth and confidence.
From the source, good fortune.
Not a mistake, there can be constancy.
Fruitful to have a direction to go.
How to use this?
Two gui vessels may be used for the offering.’

I could interpret this as reducing time in the old line of work will boost for spirits (line 1), especially if this is a way to be true to who you are and what you want (line 2).

I'm not skilled with Yi, so I stop here. My point was Legge's piece doesn't read to me like a clean translation, more like someone thinking out loud. Your mileage may vary.

F

Freedda

I'm a little confused. What I posted is the actual text -- Legge is the translator. This is not his commentary (he gives that separately), it's a translation. Or did you mean something else?
Oh, so sorry. Please disregard! The way the lines read sounded more like commentary to me, but if that is not the case .... So moving on ....

F

Freedda

Liquidity, sorry about my earlier confusion about the Legge translation.

You said you are 'considering a new career option' ... I'm wondering about some of the details of this - is it a job you've been offered? Or one you're thinking about applying for? And would it mean a more or less 'traditional' hiring process - application, different candidates interviewed, etc ... or maybe something else?

Best, d.

liquidity

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Liquidity, sorry about my earlier confusion about the Legge translation.

You said you are 'considering a new career option' ... I'm wondering about some of the details of this - is it a job you've been offered? Or one you're thinking about applying for? And would it mean a more or less 'traditional' hiring process - application, different candidates interviewed, etc ... or maybe something else?

Best, d.

Well it's thinking about trying to get involved in someone's political campaign. No offer or anything like that. It's just about trying to go down that path :)

F

Freedda

Good morning Liquidity.

With 41.1.3.5 > 57, I think your take on this is very similar to what I'm getting from it. It seems to describe the 'pluses and minuses' of what you're considering. On the one hand (41.1), you don't want to diminish or 'pass by' your own talents and and what might be your long-term goals; but on the other hand (41.5), you want to consider, is this perhaps a great opportunity for you - like a diviner whose been given ten tortoise shells to make use of?

I'd only add that Line 3 could be suggesting that you look for a balance here - to find ways to take advantage of the opportunity and at the same time, to make use of your talents and have it serve your needs. Since this would be a volunteer opportunity (I assume), you may be in a position to 'write your own ticket' so to speak: 'I want to work with you, and here's what I'd like to offer ...' or something like that. This line might also be suggesting a bit of give and take - e.g. take from another and add to yours, or vice versa ... with the best outcome being that you both end up with a companion on your journey.

And an aside: Line 41.5 says that this is an 'outstanding opportunity' but it doesn't say how that opportunity will manifest. So, like the tale of the Taoist Farmer, how this becomes an opportunity might surprise you!

And as another aside, often groups or organizations are not very good at honoring or making the best use of volunteers. I think a good volunteer coordinator should be able to say, 'what do you see yourself doing here; what interests you ...' and then see if there's a good fit. But I don't think that's usually the standard.

I'd be curious how it turns out, and if anything I said was of use, or if I'm just blowin' smoke here.

Best, D.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).