...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Surgery

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yeah, for sure. But the good news is nobody on this thread is trying to force their interpretation on anyone or belittle anyone for their ideas which makes it a whole lot easier to consider opposing opinions and possibly discover fresh insights. Which is great for learning, but yeah, not so great for the one seeking guidance. Curious thing is - and I think this is not an uncommon experience - when I first started using the I Ching the answers seemed so much clearer, so much more obvious. Maybe my questions back then were not so complex but now it seems instead of giving direct advice the I Ching just sort of helps clarify the situation but still expects me to figure out what to do. Like here with your question about the surgeon, one might see "Danger!" and immediately think, "Wow, don't use this doctor!" But that's just what I get if I only read the line. As become more familiar with the I Ching I see 26's image advising "The superior man becomes familiar with sayings of antiquity" the then the message becomes, "There is danger in just blindly going forward trusting to luck or a coin toss. It's important for you to discuss this with people who have experience." Like the I Ching is saying, "the issue is more than just whether the surgeon is any good, it's also a wonderful opportunity for you to learn how to speak up and ask your doctor questions." Ugh. I wish the I Ching would just give me the simple clear answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's funny, my first reaction at 26.1 and the surgeon was danger > the tumor is getting nasty > surgeon wages great taming to cut out the corruption.
    Always the question whether the resulting hex is the backdrop/context or the outcome. And I wish there was a more certain consensus on that. I suppose one should be consistent in how reads, I surely am not . Having 18 be the context made perfect sense to me in this reading. The corruption being the tumor.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes, that' exactly what I mean. Your first reaction that 26.1 wasn't necessarily an answer to your question about the surgeon but more like a snapshot of your situation - 26.1 a dangerous tumor that must not be allowed to continue, that needed to be cut out.The hexagram - at first glance anyway - didn't seem to be about the surgeon, but a picture of the situation. this often happens with me. The hexagrams I get seem to not so much advise me as what to do but rather give me a picture of the situation or my attitude so I then based on knowing that, I then have to decide what action to take. Like just recently I posted the hexagrams I got when I asked if today would be a good day for a yard sale. Back last week when I asked it was warm and sunny but the weather prediction was for rain. The hexagrams seemed very encouraging - 48.6 - 57, a well that all could drink from and a gentle wind, perhaps representing yard sale items being distributed - and not a syllable about storm clouds. But I recognized that these hexagrams were mirroring my hopes and the fact they didn't seem to take the slightest reference to the negative weather predictions made me very suspicious. Like the I Ching was saying, "Do you really believe the weather predictions for 3 inches of rain are going to be this totally wrong and it will suddenly be a cloudless sky like this?" Anyway, I cancelled the sale and sure enough we got buckets of rain today and thank heavens I cancelled. So that's yet another way you can look at the hexagrams, are they giving you a picture of reality or are they mirroring your fantasy? I don't know. I think you're right that consistence seems to play a role. Like you decide "I'm going to take all predictions literally!" and see if that makes them more clear. Maybe there are other rituals one should incorporate to get clearer answers - burning incense of always facing South or whatever. But I think the important thing for now anyway is to try to be calm, neutral and to be aware of those first impressions. And then to ask Hilary!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"So that's yet another way you can look at the hexagrams, are they giving you a picture of reality or are they mirroring your fantasy?"

That's why I don't trust myself with my readings, and on the questions that really matter to me, post here. Because all too often, I am afraid that my interpretation is just a reflection of what I want it to say, or what I fear or or or. And after a couple of weeks of being numb at the news and flipping into project mode (organization, as best as I can), gotta say, I'm getting scared about this surgery, which I know is high risk (and high risk if I don't have it too).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3