...life can be translucent

Menu

23 Again!

Tree Runner

visitor
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've been teaching T'ai Chi for the last ten years at my master's school. I am working towards starting my own school, but progress has been slow.

My question was "How can I best move forward with my business?"

The answer I got was 2.6 to 23. The thing is, every time I have cast lately, regardless of the question, the answer has either been 23, or has resolved to 23 after changing lines. Clearly the universe is trying to tell me something.

Legge's translation of Overthrowing wasn't much help. Wilhelm, Richmond and Richter weren't much better with Splitting.

Hillary's translation of Stripping Away seems to be a little more on the mark: "Moreover, until the old is so utterly stripped from you that you have no choice but to think in new ways, you will only be able to re-create the old patterns." Yeah!

mandarin_23

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The 23 slow progress … is it possible that the 23 has to do with what you are doing, the T'ai Chi itself?
Not sure about the meaning of this hexagram, as an image it looks to me like a darkening landscape with still a little bit of light at the top of the hill, or at the end of the tunnel.

Probably this hexagram relates to a situation which is going past, you teaching at your master's school. So with 23.6 you are at the end of this situation. "A ripe fruit still uneaten", it says, and: The noble one gets a car, which means, is able to get out of this situation and make a new start - elsewhere, whereas the others have to surrender to the situation as it is and are, more or less, "eaten up".

So if I was in this situation (and I don't know that much) I would ask about my inner dedication, again and again. The time is right to leave your teacher, to be your own master, this seems to be clear enough.

All the best,
Mandarine

Tree Runner

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your insight mandarin_23! Perhaps you have found the source of my trepidation. My master, a devout Christian, would tend to dismiss the I Ching as "seeking divination and omens". I, on the other hand, find the interplay of yin and yang to be at the heart of both the I Ching and T'ai Chi, and would incorporate it into my teaching.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
In 2.6 the underling is fighting with the boss, not wanting to do it the boss's way, wanting to do it their own way.

How does your teacher account for the fact that the apostles 'threw lots'?
He doesn't, that's how.

It's funny, I began to study Yi after seeing the text of hex 11 on my last Tai Chi teachers website.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
2.6 describes a situation where it is not comfortable to continue to be docile and "Receptive" but 23 specifically cautions it doesn't further one to go anywhere either. The Image of 23. advises the superior man that rather than Splitting Apart, he should strengthen those below him in order to broaden his base. Reads to me as if this is not the time to take risks going off on your own - perhaps there are too many responsibilities involved to make that practical? Maybe the cost of renting space for one thing? So it seems to me that for now you are encouraged to not let the master's beliefs distract you and instead to put your attention on your students. Perhaps as they experience more and more benefit from your guidance your business will grow naturally.

Meanwhile Saturn is moving to conjunct Pluto all this year. You can google "Saturn conjunct Pluto" to read more about what this aspect means but in brief consider the planet of limitations and boundaries is connecting with the planet of intense transformation. As these two come together there is an awareness in our lives of areas where we feel frustrated, held back, limited, and there is a feeling of things having to change, somethings got to give. Saturn won't reach Pluto exactly until December. So you may find that it's not possible for you to move forward significantly until then. Also Saturn can indicate having to build something up from the bottom which could cause you to impulsively decide, "I can't take this anymore, I'm out of here!" when with a little patient planning you maybe able to make a transition much more smoothly - or negotiate a better arrangement that allows you to prosper where you are now.

btw, there's a tai chi instructor in our town who gives lessons in the park. He does this several times a week and charges $8 per student for a 50 minute routine. He seems to have a steady following of 8 - 10 students.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).