...life can be translucent

Menu

Can I ask you about what are rulers? I am not usually so humble, I am just forced

Mustafa

visitor
Reaction score
What are rulers? I am out after finding what the individual lines means.I have downloaded the book of I Ching translation of Wilhelm with translation of Baynes, and there it says something about that the bottom line is case, and the upper line is effect. Is this true?And please, tell me things about what rulers are and how I can navigate in this book if you know it. Also, if you have additional information about the individual lines, I have skimmed through the beginner introduction, don't remember what it is called, but I didn't find it useful, I already have consulted the I Ching many times.Thank you for you timeKindlyMustafa Al-Saedy

F

Freedda

What are rulers? I am out after finding what the individual lines means.I have downloaded the book of I Ching translation of Wilhelm with translation of Baynes, and there it says something about that the bottom line is case, and the upper line is effect. Is this true? And please, tell me things about what rulers are and how I can navigate in this book if you know it. Also, if you have additional information about the individual lines, I have skimmed through the beginner introduction, don't remember what it is called, but I didn't find it useful, I already have consulted the I Ching many times. Thank you for you time. KindlyMustafa Al-Saedy
Mustafa, others may disagree with me here, but ... I'd suggest that you start with doing readings which look at the text for the hexagram and the text for any moving lines, trying to find and feel your way into the words and images associated with this. To jump to the idea of which lines are the 'rulers' is pretty advanced, and I fear that you'll get confused or overloaded with info. - some of which might not serve you. Starting with the intro. course as Hilary and others of us have suggested is a good starting point.

It is my understanding that the idea of a line as 'leader' and also the 'meanings' of the different lines all came after the Yi Jing was written, and some people agree and others not so much as to their validity and usefulness. But, regardless, I still strongly suggest you start with the basics of a reading.

Besides the Wilhelm version, I have found Bradford Hatcher's Yi to be helpful - and he has lots of supplemental material, including about the trigrams and the lines. You can purchase a copy or download a free PDF version from his web site. Hilary's Yi is also one I recommend.

Best, David.

Mustafa

visitor
Reaction score
Brother David. Sorry bad english above, maybe i was in a hurry. But please be honest with me, are you saying i shoul remain Kan? I can't be Li based on your 'advice' if it is an advice?I know it is my destiny and i accept it, and possibly defiantly want it. It is like my mother told me, Allahs will, your destiny, what has been written for you.I want to suffer like Kan externally, but internally i want to be Li. I am as old as that i'm starting to get passive. Yesterday i was offered the song: "Don't look back in anger". Silly. I don't have anger, just well-timed emotions and anger.Or am I psychotic?

F

Freedda

David .... are you saying i should remain Kan? I can't be Li based on your 'advice' if it is an advice?I know it is my destiny and i accept it, and possibly defiantly want it.
Mustafa, I never said you should be Kan, nor Li, nor anything else for that matter.

I said you should start off with the beginner's course on this web site (and there is the paid foundations course as well), to keep it simple, and perhaps to not get involved with the line meanings and 'rulers' right now. That's all.

Best, D.

Last edited:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Mustafa,

The most important thing in Yi study is to comprehend the meaning of the texts, and how to understand a reading.
Everything else should be considered peripheral studies,
or even as a way of getting lost in the details.

But to answer your question,
each hexagram has a line that is considered the ruler. If you look at the Image you can see that it very closely matches one particular line.
Example: hexagram 23's Image and it's line 5. (the same thing is occurring in each: the ones above are giving to one below)

Last edited:

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Ah, you perceive some clowns...

Do you ever wonder how you are perceived?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).