...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Next UK PM: 30.3.6 to 51, 10.1.6 to 47 and 41.1.6 to 7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
    And how much of those green zero-population areas in the U.S. are the Rocky Mountains, deserts, vast areas of ranchland or farmland, swamps (Florida) and so forth?)
    Even if land is inhabitable, you can't build high-rise apartment buildings on every acre in order to keep shoehorning in more people. Or you shouldn't, at least. People decry over-development as it is.)
    Hey Liselle,
    I am assuming your statements were not rhetorical,
    so I'll provide something for you to consider.

I live in a city of 3 million people (plus 7 million more in the connected metropolitan area) that was built on a swamp.
    It's name is Chicago. Have you seen all the skyscrapers downtown?
    It was actually built on a Lake and swamp.... The earth downtown was put there on top of the Lake. Did you know that?

The US birthrate has been below the world health organizations 2.1 rate, which is said to sustain population levels.
    Consider that there is a direct correlation between Education level and children birthed into a family. (Higher educated and more economically advantaged people have fewer children than less educated. and less economically advantaged people.) This fact of low birth rate means that....
    The US is certainly not full
    Immigrants actually help sustain the current population levels.

If you google us birth rate by year,
    you'll find a sliding graph that shows it has been well under 2.1
    since 1972. That's 50 years....

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moss Elk View Post
    I live in a city of 3 million people (plus 7 million more in the connected metropolitan area) that was built on a swamp.
    It's name is Chicago. Have you seen all the skyscrapers downtown?
    It was actually built on a Lake and swamp.... The earth downtown was put there on top of the Lake. Did you know that?
    I didn't, actually, that's interesting (and rather stunning). But I still hope no one feels a need to drain the Everglades and build a city there, or anything else along those lines.

I certainly can't really debate the optimal population level or anything like that. (Why did I ever comment in this thread; I hate politics. #sillysillymoth)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3