...life can be translucent

Menu

Does anyone recommend "The Tao Oracle: An Illuminated New Approach to the I Ching" ?

kathyliz

visitor
Reaction score
Does anyone recommend "The Tao Oracle: An Illuminated New Approach to the I Ching" ?

Hello friends,
I'm new to this online community and the I Ching (although a longtime aficionado of divination) and I'm wondering if any of you 'out there' have experience (positive or negative) with the aforementioned "Tao Oracle" by Ma Deva Padma? It's a card deck with an explanatory book. I'm wondering if this might be a helpful adjunct to my beginner's study of the I Ching (or if it is simply a commercial rip-off that might actually be misleading). I haven't been able to access any sample images of the deck (even with the "search inside" feature on Amazon).
Any input from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks,
Kathyliz

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
kathyliz said:
Hello friends,
I'm wondering if this might be a helpful adjunct to my beginner's study of the I Ching (or if it is simply a commercial rip-off that might actually be misleading). I haven't been able to access any sample images of the deck
With thanks,
Kathyliz

Hi-
I personally am a big advocate of keeping beginners on track with authentic translations of the Yijing, at least until they've read half a dozen of these. You don't want to get too far afield at the beginning of the journey or you'll just wind up babbling to yourself in your own private language. There are beginner's books worth reading (e.g Sorrell's), but save these for when the actual Yi itself can give you some advice in the matter.
brad

fyreflye

visitor
Reaction score
Apart from endorsing Bradford's comments, I'd also want to point out that the cards are really ugly. If you're familiar with Deva Padma's Osho Zen Tarot this deck is about as far from that bright, colorful masterpiece as you can get.

kathyliz

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback

Many thanks to Brad and Fyreflye for their valued feedback and insight. This beginner will try to stay on track, as you wisely suggest, with the translations of Wu Jing-Nuan, R.J. Lynn, Alfred Huang, and Wilhelm/Baynes.
Kathyliz

fyreflye

visitor
Reaction score
kathyliz said:
Many thanks to Brad and Fyreflye for their valued feedback and insight. This beginner will try to stay on track, as you wisely suggest, with the translations of Wu Jing-Nuan, R.J. Lynn, Alfred Huang, and Wilhelm/Baynes.
Kathyliz

Good choices all; but add Jack Balkin's The Laws of Change to your collection as well.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).