Menu

Question for Harmen, re Zhou Yi Da Ci Dian

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Harmen

This was asked on "the other" forum
Any information you could share with us?

Availability of Zhou Yi Da Ci Dian

I have been trying to buy the Zhou Yi Da Ci Dian,
sight unseen, for several years, but never found it.
It finally turned up on Amazon but the person selling
wants > $300 USD, which seems obscenely inflated. Am I
mistaking the work and this is actually realistic?
Does anyone know of a more reasonable source for the
work? Is it a worthwhile reference?

H

hmesker

Hi Brad,

I have never seen the Zhouyi Da Cidian, but I am pretty sure that the book isn't worth $ 300,--. But there are other dictionaries as well. I have two Yi dictionaries, Yixue Da Cidian (first published in 1992; ISBN 7800539547) and Zhouyi Cidian (published in 2005; ISBN 7500073372). The first one is still the best although hard to obtain, just like the Zhouyi Da Cidian. It has chapters about xiangshu, yili, persons etc.with especially in the xiangshu section lots of images. The second one is easy to obtain but it mainly focuses on the text of the Yi, explaining every phrase of a hexagram text from a traditional point of view. It also deals with persons and other Yi related matters but not as extensive as the Yixue Da Cidian. I think the contents of the Zhouyi Da Cidian is close to that of the Yixue Da Cidian.

The Zhouyi Da Cidian is also electronically available at certain libraries (see for instance here http://sunzi1.lib.hku.hk/ER/detail/3489412). Maybe they can help you obtain an electronic version of the book.

Best wishes,

Harmen.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Harmen-
It's always good to have you nearby.
:bows:
b

Clarity,
Office 17622,