...life can be translucent

Menu

New Analysis & Book of I CHING

david hunter

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and new to the I CHING, I was introduced to it several months ago by my tutor. He was interested in the idea of removing western/numerical annotation from the I CHING and asked me to have a go at this. I made a new analysis which led to a version of the I CHING that has no western/numerical annotation (other than the necessary translation of judgment text) that you can download from the below link-

http://www.thewishfilm.com/i_ching.zip

My version comprises two books. They have been designed to be printed on a home setup and I've included a set of instructions for making and using the books. Once you get to grips with the method you should find it very intuitive. It takes a bit of time to put the books together but doesn't take much equipment and is an enjoyable process.

This is the first version so please bear this in mind, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback especially about the instructions which has been a challenge- explaining these things is easier in person. I think given time I will produce some video instructions. You can post back any problems or suggestions on this forum.

I felt it would be best to release it to people who already have an interest and grasp of the I CHING.

thanks for your time,

david.

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
That's an interesting sequence

Has it got long history ?

david hunter

visitor
Reaction score
First of all thanks for downloading the book and having a look!

It has a short history- about eight months. Both the sequence in CharBook (all the hexagrams on one page) and TextBook (linearised version with each hexagram & judgment on its own page) are my own work. The sequence is derived from my analysis which I came up with about eight months ago after being given the brief by my tutor who has helped me through the project. Since the analysis I've been slowly putting the book together to download. As far as I'm aware no-one has come up with this sequence before.

I urge everyone who downloaded the files to have a go at making the books- its really fun and rewarding once its done. If it looks like too much or can't get your head round the instructions tell me and I'll try and get some video instructions done.

cheers,

David.

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
It's certainly original

I can't say I completely understand what your doing or why but it's good to see someone working with the flesh and blood of the IChing rather than digging up it's bones, not that there's anything wrong with that !

I haven't printed and origamied it yet but I love the pattern of the sequence and I'd like to use it, if you don't mind. If your running windows have a look at my IChing program.

It's at: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~svivash

Thanks

J

jesed

Hi David

The secuence you find is one of the 8 traditional binary secuences...

It speaks so well about you, that you find it without belonging traditonal circles.:bows:

Best wishes

david hunter

visitor
Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback.

stevev I hope you do get round to printing it and go ahead and use the sequence. Unfortunately I'm on a mac and so it came up with some funny code when I tried what was on your link. I'll try and give it a go if I get to a PC.

jesed what is the name or originator of the sequence you mention? Could you please post a link with details of that sequence? The closest to mine that I can find is Fu Hsi and Jing Fang's sequences which are both similar but not identical. It speaks of the timeless quality of the I CHING that after centuries passed one of the first sequences still resonates so strongly.

Thanks,

David

J

jesed

Dear David

I sorry to say that I cann't discuss that secuences.

One of the practice that traditional groups have is to limit some discusions and knowledges to people that are initiated within that traditional groups.

I know this is a hateful practice to a moder point of view, as some kind of elitism or sectarism... but it is a necesary rule to keep.

I have confidence that you will continue your path not only to Knowledge but also to Wisdom.

Even if I cann't discuss the secuence, and it's aplication, I wanted to comment about your discovering of that traditional secuence as a recognition and encouregment for you. There are diferent paths leading to common destination.

Best wishes

H

hmesker

Jesed, are you sure you are talking about the same sequence that David uses? Although his sequence begins like the sequence Wilhelm gives in his German translation (p. 283 of my copy), a sequence I cannot find in my 2-volume 1950 English translation, at some point it becomes different. Wilhelm gives 1, 44, 13, 10, 9, 14, 43. 33, 25, 61, 26, 34, 6, 37, 38, 5, 57, 30, 58, 50, 49, 28. 12, 42, 41.....
David has the same, but after 28 he comes with 63, 54, 48, etc.
Jesed, I assume that the sequence you refer to has something to do with either Zhu Xi's work or Yu Fan's 虞翻 (146-233) work. The sequences that these persons give have the same starting as the sequence in Wilhelm, but they too become different after a certain amount of hexagrams. Could you give the complete sequence you are referring to, without sharing the information you want to keep to yourself?

The 易學大辭典 has a chapter called guabian 卦變 in which several sequences are discussed (p. 418-430). They are all different from Wilhelm's sequence though; the true origin of his sequence remains a mystery to me.

David, I really like your work. I have not yet tried to put all the parts together, but I like the layout and the space for remarks. I like it that you only give a translation and leave out the interpretation or commentary. This might be a good Yijing to carry with you.

Harmen.

stevev

visitor
Reaction score
Secret Mens Business

Ok I printed it out, the toner was getting low, so some of it is a bit faint, I folded it, but I didn't follow the instructions and I got a giant paper aeroplane. Only kidding, don't exactly understand it all but it's a lot of fun !

Thanks

david hunter

visitor
Reaction score
jesed, I respect your right to keep certain information private. After all, often you don't appreciate something as much if you are given it on a plate. Thanks for the pointer and all the encouragement.

hmesker you are clearly very knowledgeable on the history of the I CHING and my inexperience means I can't comment too much but it does sound fascinating. I would like to read more about the history and different arrangments of the hexagrams. I'm glad you appreciate the layout. Again the idea was to rid it of western/numerical annotation as navigation. I've opted for simple & neutral design so it doesn't get in the way of the user involving themselves with the I CHING.

stevev full marks for giving it a go! I think its tougher to make the single sheet CharBook than the 65 page TextBook because its a pretty radical use of a piece of paper. I think video instructions are called for...

cheers,

David.

J

jesed

Hi Harmen

As long as i remember, david's secuence is the same that the traditional secuence called "genesis of the Creative"

I'll look again David's secuence when I arrive to my home in a few days.

Best wishes

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).