...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 22 What does it mean for my love life

tranquillity8

visitor
Reaction score
I have asked about my love life a lot using iching and nearly every time I asked it I get hex 22.

Once it was just hex 22 unchange line.

The last time I ask was 'how should I approach my love life' and I got 22 - 1 6 - 15

But I have been reading up on hex 22 and the explaination for it is not very clear. There is conflicting info on it. Some explain it as I need to care about the beauty of form/external side of things. While other I have read take it as meaning I should care less about physical/external side and look at inner beauty of potentials. Anybody can help?

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
It is hard to comment on 22 for a love life without details of what is happening in your life life. Is there a relationship happening... or is it "longed for" or is it a general question about "love life" (and that could mean many things)

22 has a lot of wedding imagery I believe. It has a purity and a simplicity..it is graceful. It doesn't speak of depth and seriousness, but of graceful, lovely appearances. BOth lines 1 and 6 emphasize simplicity and being seen for who you truly are at the core. It think it is a nice hexagram to receive about "love life"...maybe advising you to be light and simple and genuine in your approach. True beauty doesnt need a lot of adornment, it speaks for itself

tranquillity8

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I have just moved back to London and settling in my new job. Finally decided that I am going to live in London. So now am looking for a relationship and so asked about how I should approach my love life and other general questions on my love life. Seem to always get hex 22 which has dubious meaning to it.

I guess it just means something along the lines of being myself.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
How about being someone everyone loves? Full of life and energy.

See hex.22

LiSe

exnihilo

visitor
Reaction score
22 is about beautiful appearances. Take care of yourself physically, get your hair cut. That sort of thing. Look and act your best.

I was going to say "get your makeup done, buy some sexy heels" but then I saw from the profile that you're a male
happy.gif

blue_tiger

visitor
Reaction score
I have been using Carol Anthony's books and method for a while now, to navigate a new budding relationship and her book Love, an Inner Connection, has been incredibly helpful in understanding the guidance I was receiving from the hexagrams. It has made me re-evaluate my attitude and beliefs about what a love relationship really is, and how to go about making my self available for the right kind of relationship, one based on respect, true affection and honesty, rather than the conventional game playing, power struggle and disappointment that most relationships end up in.
Hexagram 22 Grace speaks of that which in nature makes things beautiful, which is the uniqueness of each thing manifesting in the greater order of the universe, each creature or thing has a unique role and a unique form in itself beautiful, (no two snowflakes are alike). This grace is effortless, unselfconscious and innocent, moving in complete harmony with the whole.
For us to achieve such grace, we have to recover our inner state of innocence, unadorned, simple yet unique. When grace is present in our harts love is also present, because grace is the ultimate manifestation of love. When Love is in our hart our lives are transformed and people respond in kind. Our lives become a manifestation of Love itself and we are filled with Grace. Everything about us reflects this state; all our relationships are filled with Love and Grace.
Susheela

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know I'm digging up an old thread but to a question regarding my love life I got hexagram 41 changing to 22 and I've read these interesting posts, so I'm wondering.

It's a vague relationship, still shaping up, followed by lots of problems (he's in the middle of a difficult divorce, small kids, etc.) but basically it's functioning well. There's a deep care and understanding between us, but very often our "being together" doesn't depend on us but rather on external circumstances.

So, how am I to act in order to make it actually work? Does anything depend on me? :eek:

Thanks.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
22 is one of the Hexagrams that's most misunderstood by taking an English
translation of its title at face value as the core of its meaning, ie beauty or grace.
The mountain is lit by the light, but the light is blocked by the mountain.
So yes, there is beauty in the foreground, but one is limited to nearsightedness.
That's why the Da Xiang warns against making serious decisions based on such a
limited view of things, and why the Tuan says only "a little worthwhile" in that
direction, or even "little reward in having somewhere to go."

It's hard to say enough about how misleading these titles can be.

Anyway, on romance, pay attention to the little things, be conscientious about
attending to needs. But let something greater than that, some longer vision,
inform all your commitments and long term goals. The nearsightedness is
subject to all of the traps that glamour and oxytocin have to offer.

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
That's why the Da Xiang warns against making serious decisions based on such a
limited view of things, and why the Tuan says only "a little worthwhile" in that
direction, or even "little reward in having somewhere to go."

It's hard to say enough about how misleading these titles can be.

Anyway, on romance, pay attention to the little things, be conscientious about
attending to needs. But let something greater than that, some longer vision,
inform all your commitments and long term goals. The nearsightedness is
subject to all of the traps that glamour and oxytocin have to offer.

Thank you.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hex 22 in this case is about inner beauty, to have a charming and attractive personality, to be completely free of selfish interests, and so self development is extremely important for you.

J

jesed

Hi sollina

Just in case the comment could be useful

The external dificulties (41) can lead to simplicity of forms wich manifest an inner truth (the brightest aspect of 22), or can lead to superficiality (the negative aspect of 22).

What would your actions chose?

In the way I have learned Hex 41, with all its "small-ness" and "poverty", started around middle of march; and would rule until middle of september. Line 2 (the importance to not undertake action for others that diminish yourself) rules from April 17 to May 16; and line 3 would rule from May 17 to June 16.

Please, focus iun the warning of line 3 during those dates.

Best wishes

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know I'm digging up an old thread but to a question regarding my love life I got hexagram 41 changing to 22 and I've read these interesting posts, so I'm wondering.

It's a vague relationship, still shaping up, followed by lots of problems (he's in the middle of a difficult divorce, small kids, etc.) but basically it's functioning well. There's a deep care and understanding between us, but very often our "being together" doesn't depend on us but rather on external circumstances.

So, how am I to act in order to make it actually work? Does anything depend on me? :eek:

Thanks.

Hex 41.2 says to be friendly with this man but don't lose your freedom to him, don't lose your independence because if you do then you can help nobody.

Hex 41.3 says that there are now 3 people in this relationship, one of them has to go, better for you to wait on the sidelines and not become involved in their fight. Or, if the situation does not resolve itself, then it suggests that you separate, and find a new partner.

Hex 22 is about beautifying your inner nature your inner appeal.

Last edited:

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
Hex 41.2 says to be friendly with this man but don't lose your freedom to him, don't lose your independence because if you do then you can help nobody.

Hex 41.3 says that there are now 3 people in this relationship, one of them has to go, better for you to wait on the sidelines and not become involved in their fight. Or, if the situation does not resolve itself, then it suggests that you separate, and find a new partner.

Hex 22 is about beautifying your inner nature your inner appeal.

Yes... losing my freedom and independence to him IS something I should beware of, since he is a kind of guy who has a tendency to take people for granted. But he is so sweet and gregarious that people (including me) don't take it against him. I read this 22 also as a sign that maybe I should be more reserved to this external expression of his (so to speak).
But, one additional thing is that I am in a position to communicate with her (his wife) quite often, because of our job, etc. She is nice to me (She knows we see each other but I'am not sure if she knows we're in a relationship.) So, could this 22 also mean that I should beware of the fake insincere "niceness" all around?

Thanks so much.

sollina

visitor
Reaction score
The external dificulties (41) can lead to simplicity of forms wich manifest an inner truth (the brightest aspect of 22), or can lead to superficiality (the negative aspect of 22).

I can see this twofolds: superficiality of my own actions (acting in a way that leads to temporary, shallow results) and falling for superficiality of others. Am I right, or...?

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
In my experience 22 discribes a lovely situation that is not grounded in reality. Like falling in love with a character in a movie and then meeting the actor and discovering he isn't anything like the person he portrayed on the screen.
The actual image of 22, a fire at the base of a mountain, conjures up a picture of a group of campers roasting marshmellows. It's a fun night out, and there maybe some special bonding that occurs under the stars, but the fire is small and only illuminates a few feet of the darkness, enough to create an illusion, but not enough to build a life on, plus tomorrow it's back to the office.
Then I look at the sequence. Hexagram 20, View, gives a panoramic vision of life and love and all that is, but to live this vision requires 21. Biting Through Obstacles, the marrage that is mid-divorce, custody issues etc., but even once these Obstacles have been dealt with the 22. Grace, is fleeting. Ultimately there is a 23. Splitting Apart, where the fantasy - that we share the same View and once the Obstacle has been dealt with we'll live happily ever after - and reality part ways, and we realize we don't know the person at all and that we have to 24. Return to square one and build a new relationship from the beginning. An Unhappily Married Man is a totally different conciousness than a Newly Divorced Single Guy, and we'll have to get to know him..
Bottom line, If I asked about a love relationship and received 22 I'd take it as a warning that I didn't really know the person outside of our ideal context, and that while I might think they share my 20. View, I ought to have more varied experiences with them before making a commitment.

Last edited:
L

lightofreason

Hex 22 in this case is about inner beauty, to have a charming and attractive personality, to be completely free of selfish interests, and so self development is extremely important for you.

dont think so ....

22 Grace
Adorning, Facading. Gloss
In a context of guidance we utilise discernment.

"PI : embellish, ornament, deck out, beautify; variegated (flowers); elegant, brilliant; also: energetic, passionate, eager, intrepid; capable of great effort; brave. The ideogram : cowrie shells (money) and flowers, linking ornaments and value."ERANOS p284

and...

In the binary sequence hexagram 22 pairs with hexagram 36.
The overall focus in this pair is on covering-up, be it the need to hide one's "light" by being uncompromising or suffering the attacks of the uncompromising, or else by a need to draw attention away from the core and to the surface through beautifying the exterior, also known as facading or even to gloss-over and so draw attention away. In hexagram 36 the focus is on integration, like pulling a blanket over onself to cover up, whereas in hexagram 22 the focus is more on differentiation, on exaggeration of something to draw attention.

In the binary sequence hexagram 22 opposes hexagram 47.
With this pairing, both 47 and 22 deal with enclosure but 47 deals with being forced to drive one's roots 'deep' due to the enclosure and so become more integrated with the context, whereas 22 builds a facade to attract attention to the exterior and so has a more differentiating aspect. Thus in 47 one is enclosed whereas in 22 one is doing the enclosure, the source is within as compared to 47 where it is without.

At the LOCAL level we are dealing with an octet of hexagrams with the FIRE trigram as base. In this sequence hexagram 22, the focus upon facading, 'opposes' hexagram 49, revelation, to unmask. More so, the exaggerated focus on revolution/revelation is reflected in a more balanced format by a focus on facading, gloss-over.

In the traditional sequence hexagram 22 pairs with hexagram 21.
The overall focus in this pair seems to be in problem solving, with 21 we 'chew it over' whereas in 22 we cover it up. The focus on 'chewing it over' reflects the need to 'removing the unnecessary' and so avoiding any further action. With 22 the focus on covering up can develop into a focus on beautyfying (as in such an act is needed), facading, gloss over.

PROBLEM SOLVE:

21 : problem solve - through chew over; 21 problem solving comes out of a context described by hexagram 16 - foresight, plan, enthuse

22 : problem solve - through gloss over; 22 facade, beautify comes out of a context described by hexagram 15 - modesty, to level-out

In the traditional sequence hexagram 22 opposes hexagram 43.
In this pairing the characteristics of 22 reflect selling through packaging whereas for 43 the focus is more on selling through use of the 'gab'.
The generic properties of hexagram 22 reflect the mixing of the generic properties of hexagram 36 with the generic properties of hexagram 15.
A combination of being uncompromising (hide the light) with a focus on reducing highs and lows (covering up) reflect the properties of general facading, gloss-over, beautyfy expressed in hexagram 22.

In the variations on a theme sequence, hexagram 22 complements hexagram 52.
The quality emphasis here is in an internal development in 52 versus an external development of 22.

and ...

The generic nature of 22 is described by analogy to 15 with ITS focus on being modest, cover up and so a generic focus that develops into 'facading' etc.

Chris.

ciprianaleme

visitor
Reaction score
Totally agree with you!

In my experience 22 discribes a lovely situation that is not grounded in reality. Like falling in love with a character in a movie and then meeting the actor and discovering he isn't anything like the person he portrayed on the screen.The actual image of 22, a fire at the base of a mountain, conjures up a picture of a group of campers roasting marshmellows. It's a fun night out, and there maybe some special bonding that occurs under the stars, but the fire is small and only illuminates a few feet of the darkness, enough to create an illusion, but not enough to build a life on, plus tomorrow it's back to the office.Then I look at the sequence. Hexagram 20, View, gives a panoramic vision of life and love and all that is, but to live this vision requires 21. Biting Through Obstacles, the marrage that is mid-divorce, custody issues etc., but even once these Obstacles have been dealt with the 22. Grace, is fleeting. Ultimately there is a 23. Splitting Apart, where the fantasy - that we share the same View and once the Obstacle has been dealt with we'll live happily ever after - and reality part ways, and we realize we don't know the person at all and that we have to 24. Return to square one and build a new relationship from the beginning. An Unhappily Married Man is a totally different conciousness than a Newly Divorced Single Guy, and we'll have to get to know him..Bottom line, If I asked about a love relationship and received 22 I'd take it as a warning that I didn't really know the person outside of our ideal context, and that while I might think they share my 20. View, I ought to have more varied experiences with them before making a commitment.
Thanks for this. I totally agree with your interpretation.

Sofocles

visitor
Reaction score
I think it's both, so you have to understand that Grace, beauty and enjoyment have a place in life and you should definitely embrace them with this hexagram. Depending on your context, of course, it doesn't promise anything that is deeply rooted, built or definitive.
I got this hexagram when asking about whether I should focus on jobs/projects (in a year I was on halt from my studies). I was very worried at that time, and feeling guilty for being on a full stop. Upon receiving Grace (22) I knew I should focus on enjoying that time and dedicating to my art, for the exploration of art would further feed my life as an artist! There was a place for it in my life at that moment and it was ok for me to indulge in it.
I also got this hexagram when asking about a maybe-to-be relationship where I felt that me and the other person were not a right fit for. So while I was turning my face away from it, at the same time still nurturing feelings and quite unsure of what steps to take. In this case we were friends so enjoying the gifts of friendship without expecting too much depth or profound understanding/bonding was key.
However, yes, it doesn't speak "strong commitment" for relationships or durability/reliability in careers or jobs. It doesn't deny it either, I mean, it's just an hexagram. But definitely turns your attention to what is superficial, light, fun and warm.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting but be aware that the person you are responding to, Tranquillity, posted this thread in 2006 and so may not be back to respond. The only posts she ever posted were in this thread in 2006, 17 years is a long time ago!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).