...life can be translucent

Menu

Be careful: Ghost Month!

lindsay

visitor
Reaction score
Be very careful this month. Here's a story from the Los Angeles Times explaining why:

"Taiwanese endure anxiety during ‘ghost month’

"Taipei, Taiwan – Taiwanese are ghost-crazy – or rather, crazy to avoid them. A recent survey of Taipei college students found that 87 percent were believers, and some say that could be on the low side.

"Some people admit to altering their behavior to minimize the chances of being attacked by rogue spirits.

"This is especially true during midsummer “ghost month” – the seventh month of the lunar calendar – when the gates of the underworld open and the living delay weddings, medical procedures and even swimming because of the potential for bad luck.

"This year, because of a calendar anomaly, there a double ghost month, from July 25 to September 21, extending the time the spooks are wandering around. Facing the prospect of a long drought, some wedding halls are cutting their ghost-month prices 15 percent.

"Construction crews apologize to wandering ghosts before blowing up mountains or moving dirt. Police occasionally suggest that an unsolved crime is complicated by “unexplained phenomenon.”

"And courts in Taiwan periodically hear cases in which defendants claim that ghosts told them to commit crimes, although these arguments don’t get very far.

All this makes sense when you consider the state of the world today. It seems our governments and would-be rulers have been intent on creating as many ghosts as possible. No sign of flagging enthusiasm for killing yet. Especially among the religious. Not hard to suppose most of the new ghosts are angry (I would be!) - not difficult to imagine they require something from us, the living.

You know, of course, the oldest divination records frequently appeal to the dead for information and favors. Who is talking to you through the Yi? The Chinese have always supposed it was the dead. And now there are so many more of them. How will that affect divination? There may be a lot of "static", confusion, even malice. Be careful.

This month you may literally get a reading from hell.

Lindsay

B

bruce_g

Maybe that’s why Confucius has been hanging around the forum! :eek:

luz

visitor
Reaction score
Lol!!

I want to formally protest that there are no LOL emoticons available! :hissy:

Why should it be easier to be sad:(, or mad :rant:
than it is to get a good laugh?? :eek:

luz

visitor
Reaction score
:D <= it's lovely!

But it's chuckling, grinning.. it's not laughing heartily, uninhibitedly, madly!!

Bruce's belly laugh looks like he's stoned :D or something..:rolleyes:

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
Yeah, BIGGRIN does not cut it. nor the jerry garcia belly laugh.

Bruce, you are so good at finding images, see if you can find a female- LOL picture, a chic chick having a knee-slapping belly giggle. I would look myself but I have no idea where to find those things. And if I did......how to get it on the board here. I know Hilary xplained how to put an image on the board, but it sounded so complicated. (insert icon for 'computer-dumbish blonde' here)

wow, this is bad news about ghost month. I was just starting to relax as mercury retrograde goes away (I thnk)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Much better!
(That first fellow appears to be doing Lamaze exercises!)

lindsay

visitor
Reaction score
OK, you guys can laugh all you want about Ghost Month, but promise me you'll look both ways whenever you cross the street. You're too much fun to get run over by a Boo-ick! I'd miss you all a lot.

Lindsay

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).