...life can be translucent

Menu

Too much, too fast?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
As you might've heard, I'm putting together an audio version of my I Ching course, and it should be on sale later this month. And when it is, there will be a Friends-only sale, so you can get the version with audio at the old price for without audio, or maybe a bit less.

So I draw up a list of all that needs doing first - techie stuff, mostly, along with a spot of marketing etc. I stare at the list in disbelief, grit my teeth and set a deadline for the 20th to start the sale. Eek. I think I can just do it, but every single day is full. What happens when the technical stuff goes wrong and the tech support people are awol? What if I get a surge of reading orders? What if non-business stuff needs doing?

On the other hand, deadlines bring out my best, and I have spent more than long enough on this already.

Time for a reading. So I asked -

"What advice can you give me on how to pursue this?"

Yi says - 57 moving to 12.

Gently through the blockages?

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this one. Especially on Hexagram 12 - what's blocked (apart from various bits of software), where are the 'non-people'...? There's something I'm missing here!

Perhaps it's best if I just ask you for your take, rather than biasing your perceptions with mine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
What advice can you give me on how to pursue this?

Success through what is small.
(You are marketing a small, affordable item)
It furthers one to have somewhere to go.
(You have a goal in mind.)
It furthers one to see the great man.
(You have technical advisers to assist you.)

The superior man
Spreads his commands abroad
And carries out his undertakings.
(Thus it is appropriate to announce your intention to produce this item. Perhaps even to solicit advance orders.)
(How fitting that your product is literally spreading your ideas, "commands"!)

Penetration under the bed.
Worries about alll the possible things that could go wrong)
Priests and magicians are used in great number.
(All of us here at onlineclarity!:))
Good fortune. No blame.
(It'll work out fine. No blame if it's not complete exactly on the 20th?)

Repeated penetration. Humiliation.
(Beware driving yourself crazy.)

Remorse vanishes.
During the hunt
Three kinds of game are caught.
(Fabulous! Perhaps this refers to the program refering to three types of customers - those who are new to your course, those who chose to up grade, and those who are getting the earlybird discount?)

The superior man falls back upon his inner
worth
In order to escape the difficulties.
He does not permit himself to be honored with
revenue.
(hmmm..sounds to me like you may have to withdraw from some activities in order to meet your intended deadline. Or it could be that the I Ching is saying, 'Hey, if the product doesn't meet your standards by the 20th, no big deal, you simply don't put it on the market then.")

Sounds to me as if you are being advised that you have a really good product on the drawing board, any problems that come up can be dealt with by your various consultants, and as long as you don't immobilize youself worrying about what might go wrong, or whether it's perfect, it should be ready to go in a reasonable amount of time and a great success!

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm actually wondering - was wondering before the reading, wondering even more now - if I should lower the price further yet for a short time. The audio version at full price will be £30; the sale price I have in mind is £20 (which is a bit less than the current price without audio). Is £20 too much - especially when translated into US $ at the present exchange rate? I do have a very nice little extra bonus to throw in, but even so... Or is reducing it much further rude to the people who bought at £22.50?

Ah yes - 57.3 - what you said. :D

I like Balkin's take on that one:
‘You are trying too hard to weigh all the pros and cons of the situation. It is good to plan things in advance, but you risk becoming neurotically obsessed with figuring out every possibility. No one can know in advance all of the consequences of their actions or exactly how things will turn out. You must make up your mind, form a plan, and act on it.’
Bless the man, how did he know?

'not being honoured with revenue' doesn't quite sound like what I had in mind... ;)
Kidding - almost. Actually, I haven't been thinking of it as a giant money-spinner, more of something to plug the financial hole left after the forum upgrade a bit.

Still a bit concerned about those non-people, though.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Post your "Best Friend's Price" and I'll make it my goal to figure out paypal by the 20th!

Last edited:

kenresting

visitor
Reaction score
h57.2.3.4 --> 12

The Yi is saying that you are a responsible, experienced person with a definite purpose. But contemplation must not be taken too far, it will create more doubts. You should search your subconscious for the cause of these doubts to better deal with the whole situation. Be careful of a lack of harmony. There may be a delay before you are successful.

:bows:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi hilary,

hex 12 seems to suggest that you need to check the program that you are hoping to sell again for faults, the hex indicates that something is wrong with the program. Weakness within, darkness within.
The hex also seems to suggest that the time you have selected is not the right time to put it on the market, standstill. The superior person does not accept money for the moment, in other words the program is not up for sale yet.. I think that in 5 weeks time the product should be ready for sale.
Another thing is the price, 30 is quite high, perhaps the program is not as strong as something of a similar nature that is already on the market.

The outcome will be successful.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
For the record: The question was "how to proceed?" so I'm seeing "does not permit himself to be honored with revenue" as meaning if Hilary does intend to stick to this schedule she may have to turn down work that would distract her from the main purpose.

Well, we shall see!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I certainly like Rosada's version better - which is, of course, probably a bad sign...

Thinking aloud...

Is there something wrong with the course itself? Well, I could be the wrong person to ask ;).
I'm still proud of it. I did write it some time ago, and there are things I could add to or improve now. But it has a lot of extremely happy customers, and there is certainly nothing else like it on the market. (As you can imagine, I keep an eye on what's out there, buy other people's courses, etc.) I've already created the audio, and I'm happy with its quality.

Price? Hm. Something to divine about. For the correspondence version, or for readings, I can think about a notional 'hourly rate' when setting prices. Or try not to think about it, as the case may be. But it's not so obvious how to price a download (or a CD-ROM).

I've been puzzling over how 12 as the relating hexagram could have anything to do with my current attitude. I think between Rosada, Ken and Willowfox I might be getting the idea. If I'm to get done by the 20th, I certainly can't change or update the course, or add any further extras; all my time will be taken up with the technicalities. So I have to shut out any new ideas that might be flowing my way. Hm. Sometimes that just has to be done, if anything's ever to be finished. Hmmm...

J

jesed

Hi Hillary

Just in case the comment could be useful

My comment here will be quite narrowed to the traditional teachings i had learn; I guess you already know this means you could find it diferent to other ways (like see the related hexagram as the background).

1.- First, the relation of hex.... the reflection you are taking has the risk to lead you into a stagnated situation. Then, the changing lines are the advices to avoid get into 12

2.- Since the question was for an advice, the image is useful to give the general advice: constancy, propper preparation before taking action, and use the time in your favor.

3.- Line 2. hidden issues than can produce troubles. You need to bring them into the light. 2 posibilities: inner doubts, insecurity; outer hidden flaws (maybe in the program, maybe in the proyect). You need and can solve this, with constancy, but also you need some expert help (the tech support people?)

4.- Line 3... reflection is good (the core theme of 57). But too much leads to stagnation. Reflect and then decide and act. Don't think too much.

5.- Line 4... even taking in mind the previous dificulties, you had recognition from the Yi to undertake this. Your modesty, and your activity, would produce something useful for you, for others and for the ancestors. The outcome would be very good.

The whole image I have is: you do need a constant effort of reflection about this proyect (and get some expert help), but don't allow the doubts and excess of reflection lead you to stagnation. What you have in mind is higly worthly.

Best wishes

toganm

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Hilary,
hilary said:
"What advice can you give me on how to pursue this?"

Yi says - 57 moving to 12.

Gently through the blockages?
Normally, I would use the middle of the changing lines to make the analysis (57.3). However as I am currently reading the "Introduction to the study of the classic of change" by Chu Hsi where he uses only the judgment of the hexagrams to make a prognostication when there are three changing lines I would like to try to use this approach.

I am reading 57 as flexibility. Wind belongs to the wood phase in 5 elements and the important things for wood are vision,planning, flexibility, knowing when to retreat. Since wind is a symbol for penetration, making an entrance, 57 is the gate for the traveler (56) to find the joy (58). Your new program will be the entrance for many travellers to find the inner joy.

The judgment of 57 includes; beneficial to go somewhere and beneficial to see a great man. Maybe making a inner circle beta test of your program to see if there are any unexpected problems (bugs) is the direction to go. Seeking the great man; you have already done here by asking other people for their interpretations, or if a beta test phase is done listening the inner circles ideas, suggestions .

12 is no one can alter unfavorable to superior person. The timing is not right. There is no harmony.

Hence, the deadline may be too short. As you say so many things can happen which would be beyond your control. Flexibility is the key to success and to be flexible one needs time.

Best wishes for your endeavours

Togan

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
""What advice can you give me on how to pursue this?"

Yi says - 57 moving to 12."

If it was gently penetrating through the blockages, I think you would have drawn 12 as the primary hex. I'd read it more along the lines of: gently pentrating at the foundation level of the project, you encounter the obstruction that's there.

The implication of this is that there are stages of obstruction in this project that you either haven't been aware of or haven't encountered yet. And that's my experience with big projects in general - tons of stuff comes up that you hadn't anticipated. I've talked with people about this, and joked about it, and even considered calling it Dobro's Law or something. But for instance, I write a lot of music and record it. Which requires recording and mixing technique and equipment of both the software and hardware variety. And so I'll find myself phoning around town and travelling around town shopping for the right sort of drywall mud for a reno I'm doing in my studio. And I'll catch myself and go: "Damn, the whole point of this was to play music for people. What am I doing out here in the boondocks shopping for DIY supplies?"

I predict obstructions for your project lol.

Good luck with it. Hey, should I take your course, do you think?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
This is wonderful - the depth and thoughtfulness of answers, the variety, and the whole thoroughly uncomfortably process of being turned - thoughtfully - inside out.

Last night after posting I went and listened to a random mp3 file about viral marketing while I washed up. You wouldn't think, would you, that there would be anything pertinent there? Hah. There was Mark Joyner talking about making your offer so stunningly great that people couldn't help talking about it. That might not remind everyone of 57's Daxiang (outer words spreading from inner seal) - but it does me. How great's the offer? Willowfox had me thinking on that already. I think it's very good, and certainly unique, but not great. I am rooting and researching under the bed, thinking up ways to get it there. (2 possibilities there: add new stuff; lower the price. Still rooting.)

Jesed, I will go along with your advice all the way, and it's good to have it summed up in that step-by-step version. Do you take the 'three kinds of game' as self, ancestors and others?

I do think 12 is a present issue here and now, though - one of the things I get into when rooting under the bed! (In a way that's implicit in needing to do things now to avoid it.)

Togan, would love to hear more from Chu Hsi! Is this available in English?
toganm said:
Since wind is a symbol for penetration, making an entrance, 57 is the gate for the traveler (56) to find the joy (58). Your new program will be the entrance for many travellers to find the inner joy.
That's lovely. It's exactly what I want it to be. And before I read this, last night, I was thinking about making this what they call an 'entry level product'. :) Your 'inner circle beta test' is also on the schedule, in a sense: existing customers will get the audio for free some time before it goes on sale. I'll be encouraging them to start listening through!

Gosh, Dobro, how very prescient of you. Are you in telepathic communion with my affiliate program, or maybe its (dead silent) support team? I will make a note to connect #12 with Dobro's Law, and drowning in petty technical snafus. Once again, I note that the relating hexagram is highly relevant in the present moment. (And I haven't even attempted to set up Google analytics yet, or transferred customers to the new membership system. ungh.)

I think this one is a case of relating hexagram as present and emerging issues: techie small stuff; need/decision (?) to block out new things while I tackle what's already on my plate; maybe also some reluctance to promote this as hard as I could when I'm not 100% delighted with the offer.

Just yesterday I was telling David that I did not want to hear about the 'really simple'way I could adjust the CD label graphics with a tone map, thanks. Just recognised that as 12.

Of course you should take my course. Everyone should take my course. If you take the correspondence version, we can have a competition to see who learns most from the experience ;)

toganm

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Hilary,

hilary said:
Togan, would love to hear more from Chu Hsi! Is this available in English?

Yes it's available via Amazon (strange only from Amazon USA), the ISBN is 1592673341 translated by Joseph Adler.

Best wishes
Togan

J

jesed

hilary said:
Jesed, I will go along with your advice all the way, and it's good to have it summed up in that step-by-step version. Do you take the 'three kinds of game' as self, ancestors and others?

Indeed. One goes for hunt, not as sport, but in order to make a meal.

There was 3 kinds of meals:
a) Common meal... to nourish yourself, and your family
b) Hosting meal... you recieve guests and honor them with a celebration meal
c) Ritual meal... to honor the ancestors.

Some ideas/actions are to the first level, others to the second... But when one idea, proyect, action... can fulfill this 3 kind of goals... that is supreme success.

Concrete aplication: This proyect can be useful for you (both economical and satisfaction); can be useful for others (those who can learn from it) and can be useful for the ancestors (divulgation of the Yi)

Best wishes

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
A quick update - on the same thread to avoid clutter, and because this is a decision already made. One effect of the help I received here was to get me thinking about inner blockages to communication, and about pricing. Like I said, there isn't an obvious way to put a price on downloadable information. What can the decision possibly be based on? So I floundered.

I'd been planning on keeping the same price for the self-study course as is, and adding £7.50 for the audio part, taking that to £30. A lot, Willowfox said. I'm not in the habit of jumping if someone says 'too high', but on this occasion I found (after some 'rooting under the bed') that I agreed. Ouch. Back to the drawing board.

Question to Yi - what about a really drastic reduction?
Answer: 29, moving to 45.

29 reflected the 'floundering' experience well - having nothing solid to base the price on. The moving lines taught me various things... but what really jumped out at me was 'holding fast the heart'. That connects directly with what I've been learning from Mark Silver's Unveiling the Heart of your Business book, most especially his 'pricing exercise' - which is simply about finding the price that resonates in the heart. £30 didn't. £20 - with ebooks, audio, and 'Journey Imagery' bonus - does, along with £15 for the basics (just the ebooks). See the new I Ching course page. But don't buy anything yet (unless you enormously want to), as there will be a £10-off-the-audio-version coupon code on the members page next Wednesday.

(BTW, Paypal is a doddle ;) )

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Oops, sorry. Translation from weird UK English: "a doddle" = very easy.

I was thinking of:
rosada said:
Post your "Best Friend's Price" and I'll make it my goal to figure out paypal by the 20th!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).