...life can be translucent

Menu

Confused about moving

cellofellow

visitor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of moving from the place I'm currently renting. I need somewhere cheaper, and I've found what seems to be the ideal place ~ sharing with 5 people I like, near the city centre, near musicians who I can work with, great house, full of character. There's loads of reasons for me to move there, and it seems to make 100% logical sense for me to do it.

I did the online reading:

Suppose I move: 28 --> 23

Suppose I don't: 18 --> 52

Eergh . . . My first impression is that not moving is seen by Yi as being more positive. I don't get this AT ALL. I'm tempted to say sod the I Ching and move anyway, and see what happens. There's been coincidences: I recently met a musician who said come round and have a jam, then it just so happens that in this house is a room to let, and she lives there. We are musical soul-mates. She's moving out soon, but still wants to rehearse there. Also someone lives there who split up with her boyfriend after 4 years, 2 and a half weeks ago. We bonded, and I know I could be of use to her as a friend. All this, and Yi seems to be saying don't move. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jonnycello

pargenton

Reaction score
Hi cellowfellow,
if I understand well, you got, for the answer to the first question, 28 with 5 moving lines?
i.e. 28.2.3.4.5.6. -> 23, is it correct ?

It is interesting that you plan to share the house with 5 people, i would link it with the 5 moving lines.
maybe 28 means too many people in one house .. :)
Hugs
Paolo

pargenton

Reaction score
Some other thoughts:
of these 5 lines 2 are unfavorable, so maybe you could have relationship problems with 2 of your friends, do you know all of them well ?
Could you identify 2 persons you don't fell so good together?

28 is an excess of something, maybe 5 independent people living together is too much, maybe an excess of something else related to the house, please share some more info.
Hugs
Paolo

cellofellow

visitor
Reaction score
Oops, I meant 27 --> 23

Suppose I move: Nourishing changing to Stripping
Suppose I don't: Work on what has been spoiled changing to Stopping

Sorry for the confusion. One moving line in each reading.

pargenton

Reaction score
ok now it's a bit clearer;
I think it's a warning against wrong expectations about life in the new house.
Lack of nourishment, and you expect someone else to feed you... hmm...

From LiSe :

Don't expect anything to come from someone or somewhere else, but rely on your own powers. If you want to eat, then search for food.

maybe you are expecting something from the other people in the house (food, cooking, housekeeping, emotional support, love, friendship etc.etc) while you must be prepared to take care for yourself alone, just a thought.

Hugs
Paolo

cellofellow

visitor
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't really feel like I have too many self-sufficiency problems. I can look after myself ~ boarding school made me very individualistic. I'm not entirely happy sharing with one person, which is what I'm doing now. The idea of sharing with 5 others really appeals, especially as I like them. I'm a sociable animal.

pargenton

Reaction score
Yes, I understand cellofellow, I did not want to be rude, I was only trying to make an interpretation of 27.1 related to moving.
Maybe someone else can help us to clarity this answer, is anybody here ?
bye
Paolo

autumn

visitor
Reaction score
When you ask practical, literal, questions you get back practial, literal imagery.

Don't let your Magic Tortoise go. It's feeding you.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I'm here. Just quietly admiring your willingness to take on a reading with (as it seemed) 5 moving lines!

Paolo has the gist of 27.1, without doubt - looking elsewhere for something, and hence losing contact with your inner source of whatever-it-is. So, fellowcello, what are you looking to gain from this move? 27 is an invitation to 'look' at what you're after and how you go after it. More company... musical fellowship... cheaper rent... ? Do you need more people to jam with, or more hours of just you and 'cello in a soundproofed room? Cheaper rent, or a better way to create money?

I wouldn't say Yi is necessarily coming down in favour of staying put. 18 line 2 says that with corruption of the ancestral mother, constancy isn't possible. Some difficulty with getting things from conception to practical realisation?

standard

visitor
Reaction score
I believe nourish for the soul. You do not need this situation. Both Hexagram together very strong. Answer is no it is only advice you make your choice.

Mateo

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"Suppose I move: 28 --> 23

Suppose I don't: 18 --> 52"

I do that 'hedge my bets' thing with issues I'm worried about too - you know, do a toss for Option A, then compare it to the results when I do a toss for Option B. But even though I do it, I still think I/you/we get better results when the issue is contained in one question. In your case, it would be something like: "What do I need to know about the best place for me to live?"

Okay, on to business. Moving house is nicely imaged in Hex 28, which is about going well beyond your present situation with lots of positive aspects to it. However, in this case, the relating hex is 23, which is about stripping things down to the bare bones, or being stripped down to the bare bones. So the Yi seems to be saying something like 'moving house involves getting something good you don't have now, but keep in mind you'll have to strip things down - either throw a bunch of stuff away, or take a new place that's way smaller than the place you've got now, or perhaps experience some emotion that's pretty raw in the process'.

Staying put is imaged by Hex 18, which is about the coming to awareness of a rotten state of affairs (this is really good in the Yi's view - it's obviously a situation which has gone unnoticed for a while but which desperately needs some light shone on it cuz it's sort of 'poisoning' the system). More precisely, 18.2 talks about dealing with some abuse connected with nurturing or service to others. In other words, there's something in your present accommodation that's out of whack and needs to be corrected. But first it needs the bright lights shone on it.

They're both okay, I think; it's just a matter of which course of action appeals to you more. But what about doing a *single* question consultation? In other words, instead of setting the agenda for the Yi according to typical binary thinking ('what about A? what about B?'), how about a global question that really frees up the Yi to do what it does best?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi cellofellow,

Suppose I move: 27.1 --> 23

hex 27.1 says that you should not envy what these people have, seeking to be a part of this group will only bring you trouble. People problems here. Therefore, you should not give up your independence.

hex 23 splitting apart, no good to move, stay put.

Suppose I don't: 18.2 --> 52

hex 18.2 says that past mistakes should be handled with care, do nothing drastic, making big changes may cause harm to others, thus causing problems for yourself. Therefore, proceed very carefully.

hex 52 speaks for itself, staying still. Not move.

cellofellow

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary, you hit three nails on their heads: "More company... musical fellowship... cheaper rent..." The biggest source of nourishment for me is people, coz I like 'em! (Most of them). So, I'd be sharing with 5 others, who I would rarely see at the same time, as they all have busy working lives, but there would usually be someone around, or popping in. Also, sharing with one other musician would be nice. And cheaper rent, big plus. I pretty much know what I want to do know. Any feedback on what a magic tortoise is would be good. Hilary?

cellofellow

visitor
Reaction score
Dobro wrote: "... In other words, there's something in your present accommodation that's out of whack and needs to be corrected. But first it needs the bright lights shone on it. ..."

The thing that's out of whack is: where I'm staying now I am a lodger, so I'm basically living with my landlord. Sometimes I'm almost worried to sit down in case I damage something by accident. OK, I exaggerate, but I'm constantly aware that him and me are not on an equal footing, which is inevitable. Only recently has this started to stress me out. Or, more correctly, it's always stressed me out, but I'm only now realising how much.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
The gist of 27.1 is (like others have already said) that it is not good to look outside yourself for a supply of what you need. It distracts you from the capacity you already own to create it. Magic tortoise... personal Genius? inner knowledge? the jewel in your heart... I know it sounds bizarre, but the tortoise is a thing of sacred beauty in the Yi.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
"The gist of 27.1 is (like others have already said) that it is not good to look outside yourself for a supply of what you need."

Yes, exactly. Hilary, do you have your version of the Yi online somewhere? No, right? Are you thinking about it? Oh, go on...

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
i had the same question HIlary as Dobro. I would be one of the first in line if you decided to publish. your insights and perceptions always leave me hungering for more of your words. The most shocking thing is how young you are.... I think you would make a topnotch jungian therapist, and even jung didint think people had much to offer in the way of insight until after 35......well, he was wrong

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm 33 - nearly there! But in I Ching tradition, don't you need to be over 50 to have two thoughts to rub together? (Or maybe - thinking of another thread - just to have enough space without thought-friction-noise-clutter.)

Yes, I'm thinking about it. I can see this taking a while yet, though. Remind me again in another 5 or 10 years?

Of course, meanwhile there is a sale on. There may not be a line-by-line commentary just yet, but it really is a very nice I Ching course with nice shiny audio and interesting interview for good measure...
(Hopping up and down and gesticulating madly... When I ask Yi about the lack of response, I get 45.6: maybe I should try some :hissy:?)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).