...life can be translucent

Menu

do I need this person's help??

Reaction score
Hello, nice folks!

I am not a frequent poster on here, but today I hit a contradictory (in my opinion) reading that my own abilities fail at. If anyone is willing to throw in a guess or two, the input would be much appreciated...

So I am ready to embark on a certain project of much importance to me. My options are proceeding on my own or with the assistance of this one person who is available for help. I am not 100%-sure of this person's integrity, even though her assistance could potentially help. Should I do it on my own, or should I call in this person? Simple enough dilemma - two questions to the Book.

1. What about doing the project on my own?

58 unchanging...okay, not super informative, but so far so good...

2. What about asking for this person's help?

16 - seems like go for it!! BUT two changing lines - 1&5, both seemingly pointing in the opposite direction, especially the1st one. And the final piece of the puzzle - the relating hexagram 17 Following... another "go for it"? But what about the lines?? I am one confused girl here :)

Any and all ideas will be much appreciated!

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Greetings Ox,

58. The Joyous
Thus the superior man joins with his friends
For discussion and practice.

Sounds to me that doing this project all alone wouldn't be as much fun/successful as doing it with some imput from friends.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
As 16. Entusiasm follows Modesty, I see this hexagram as cautioning that when one has successfully gone quietly about their business for abit there is the potential for becoming a little less attentive to particulars. Confidence builds and enthusiasm, and this can cause one to move ahead too energetically and get out of sync with The Tao. Then 17. Following, discribes the necessary adjustment, that after perhaps too energetically moving ahead, one then must "Go indoors for rest" Anyway, actually this all seems to be an enlargement on your original question of whether you ought do the project alone or with others. for that answer you received 58, the image of two lakes replenishing each other. Here with 16.1.5 >17 you also seem to have gotten advice about tossing ideas back and forth. So I'm thinking you're being encouraged to ask this person you have in mind for their advice, but there seems to be a cautioning about bringing them on board as a full partner. Seems like the I Ching is discribing an arrangement whereby you are able to consult with the person, but maybe not give them too much influence. 16.1 Sounds like you ought not go overboard in telling them they are essential to your success, and 16.5 makes me wonder if once you connect with them you might have a hard time getting them to relinquish control? Could also mean you may come to depend on their continued imput! So there's sort of a need for sensitiivty about how much you entrust, and how much you will require, but basically a feeling of the need to have someone you can toss ideas back and forth with. I think it's favorable for asking the person you have in mind some initial questions, but you may find with 17 that you will not feel you need the person to be too deeply involved. It maybe that after just talking to him a little, you realize you don't want to go further, so be alert to that.
Best wishes,
Rosada

Last edited:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi ox,

1. What about doing the project on my own?

58 unchanging.

hex 58 joy, communication, free exchange with others, success. Join with friends.

2. What about asking for this person's help?

hex 16.1 suggests that you should not be overbearing with your partner, you should treat them as equals in this project.

hex 16.5 suggests that you do not get carried away with yourself, stay grounded, and keep at your work.

hex 17 adapt to your new partner, work together to achieve success, help each other, share the load, do not try tire yourself out, take a rest while your partner looks after the shop. Give and take is what is needed in this partnership.

Now hex 58 says that you can do the job alone, but it suggests that you work with friends in your new project. I think that it is telling you to get help, working together with others will be more successful for you, give you greater enjoyment. So hex 17 following, following advice to take on board a partner to share the work. I think being a team will be very successful if you follow the advice given.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).