Reaction score
20.5 -> 23
Contemplation of my life.
The superior man is without blame.

20.6 -> 8
Contemplation of his life.

20.5.6 -> 2

"my" versus "his".... Any differerence here? and if there is, please tell me who is the "my" and who is the "his" referenced here?

In my question to the Yi, I was asking about someone else and got 20.6 so, is the "his" in 20.6 the person that I am asking about. What if I was the querent, then the "his" would be me?

And what if you got both "my" and "his". What then?

All 3 relating hexagrams from the 3 different scenarios are different outcomes or so I beleive. Anybody feel like doing a bit of "hex 30" illuminating?

L

lightofreason

20.5.6 = From admiration comes devotion (to another/others)

There are no traditional line comments for this since of the possible 64 there are only 6 - so you can write one for this change ;-) --- the reading of related line changes one at a time is thus not the 'best fit' method.

The infrastructure of the whole event is described by analogy to the generic qualities of the event of 03 into 27.

with/from sprouting (difficulties in the beginning) comes hungering (the need to be filled - relates to infrastructure and what to put in it).

When your 'new' and move into a context, someone/thing can grab your attention as you seek to 'fit in' and so be attracted to a representation of what 'best fits' in this context - the admiration of that can lead to a devotion to that representation (be it person or thing ;-))

The NEGATIVE perspective of 03-27 is of having difficulties that leads to ingesting the 'wrong' stuff. This translates in 20-02 as being made an example of leading to darkness.

Chris.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi christeen,

20.5 -> 23 hex 23 would only be read if you only had the one changing line.

20.6 ->8 again hex 8 would only be read if you only had the one changing line.

Here you have two changing lines 20.5,6 so the correct hex here would be hex 2, so you would read lines 5 & 6, and hex 2 only.

I think that hex 20.5,6 applies to you, self examination and contemplating your life, freeing yourself from guilt. The advice given by hex 20.5,6 is unknown to the other person, therefore, I don't see how it can apply to him, unless you go and tell him what the I Ching advises him to do.

Again, I cannot understand how hex 2 applies to him because it seems to me that it is giving you the advice and what you should do in the situation indicated by the question. Read hex 2 carefully and you will see that it relates to you, directly.

I can only presume that the answer you received says what you should do concerning him. As far as I know, he knows nothing of your questions, what you are thinking etc. and as I said before the advice given here would be unknown to him and thus wasted, unless you tell him.

Well, maybe this helps you in reading the answer that you received, if it doesn't, nevermind, we can always try again.

christeen

visitor
Reaction score
Oh dear. I seem to have confused everyone. My question was just one of curiosity. How is 20.5 different to 20.6 different to 20.5.6 because both 20.5 and 20.6 are so similar. I did NOT get 20.5.6 in answer to my question. Actually, I even described my question wrongly (methinks I should take a pill and go to bed). My question was relevant to me only. So in summary, I was hoping someone would throw some light on 20.5, 20.6 and 20.5.6. Is this clearer then or maybe I should go seek the company of my doona.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
In my question to the Yi, I was asking about someone else and got 20.6

I thought you had actually asked a question, nevermind.

Hex 20.5 means to examine the way that you influence others, from an internal perspective, how your actions affect them, whether for good or bad.

Hex 20.6 again means to examine yourself but from an external point of view. Viewing your life when you are free from all emotional involvements and self interests. Similar idea to the Buddhist method of transcending the ego through meditation, thus becoming egoless. To become completely detached from your own inner thoughts and outer actions, I suppose to view yourself this way would be liking viewing a rock or something. No feelings, no hangups, no prejudices, just a cold examination of yourself.

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
I see 20.5 as about examining your own life, and 20.6 as about examining someone else's life. In 20.5 you try to understand yourself, in 20.6 you try to understand others.

If you get both lines, you examine both yourself and others. There probably is a relation between how you are, and how the other is that is important to understand.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Or you could look at hex 20.6 to mean to examine/see yourself as other people see you.

L

lightofreason

we can trace differences using XOR methods.

20.5 - with/from admiring (contemplating) comes pruning (23) (emotionally 20 can read "with fear comes anticipation - and so preparation")

20.6 - with/from admiring comes attracting (08) (with fear comes rejection/rejecting)

The infrastructure of 20 to 23 (20.5) is described by analogy to the event of 03 to 24 - thus the vague sense of with/from sprouting comes returning (born again?)

The infrastructure of 20 to 08 (20.6) is described by analogy to the event of 03 to 42. - thus the vague sense of with/from sprouting comes augmenting (shift in a level of expression)

The sameness is in the infrastructure's thunder bottoms and so the sense of enlightenment, of new-ness, sudden realisation out of admiring/contemplating. The differences are in the top trigrams of the infrastructure hexagrams that feed the actual hexagrams - control in 03 (water) vs anticipation in 42 (wind).

Thus 20 to 23 reflects a controlling focus that is a property of pruning. OTOH 20 to 08 reflects more an augmenting focus - the attraction to the 'court' aids in augmenting one-self.

If we focus on the outer "look" -

20 to 23 'looks' like 63 to 36. Implicit here is 20.5 has a look of completion leading to covering-up, hiding the light. The act of pruning does this in that the act is in preparation for the future by cutting back of 'expression'. The completion is an event prior to the turn into the next season.

20 to 08 'looks' line 63 to 37. Here the completion, the correct sequence, order, of things leads to a family, tension release through rigid structure. This is covered in 08 with its focus on the 'court' position of the line.

Chris.

B

bruce_g

I view 20.5 as subjective self analysis, and 20.6 as objective self analysis. Contemplating your life from both a subjective and objective view opens your life up – hex 2.

B

bruce_g

Contemplating self subjectively (line 5) means you have to lose your personal involvement with your self in order to gain the unobstructed view of line 6. The loss is represented in hex 23.

Contemplating self from a purely objective view (line 6) leads to holding with the universe, gaining universal perspective: hex 8.

B

butterfly spider

This is a very good thread
Just to add here...
I got this casting for a question to so with my daughter and a lodger - suspicions and fears ...
I am linked too to some degree

I agree with the suspicions - I have them myself - and these are uncannily similar. My dream last night was very succinct and this morning my daughter made a statement that was identical to the thoughts in te dream. Nothing outwardly obvious but something coming from way way back. Bordering on sinister ..

I asked - what should I do about the suspicions and got this casting
It really does help looking at Ewan's translation!!!

My daughter is incredibly perceptive but what to do about it all is another matter..

Thank you this thread will meditate in it I think
Z

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting thread.

IMO:
"20.5 -> 23
The superior man is without blame."
One contemplates his own life and comes to realize that he should remove something (23) for good (without blame).

"20.6 -> 8
The superior man is without blame."
One contemplates another's life and seeks union with him (8). The result/context is the opposite of the previous line.

In 20.5.6 -> 2, one contemplates both his and another's life, and should decide what to do with the possibilities (2; fertile ground)- or to remain receptive and wait and see what happens next (the acceptance of the earth). The hidden line is 23.6: "A large fruit not eaten. The superior man acquires a carriage. The inferior man's house falls apart." The potential is there - it's up to you how to act on it.

Gmulii

visitor
Reaction score
20.5 -> 23

20.6 -> 8

20.5.6 -> 2

"my" versus "his".... Any differerence here? and if there is, please tell me who is the "my" and who is the "his" referenced here?

In my question to the Yi, I was asking about someone else and got 20.6 so, is the "his" in 20.6 the person that I am asking about. What if I was the querent, then the "his" would be me?

And what if you got both "my" and "his". What then?

All 3 relating hexagrams from the 3 different scenarios are different outcomes or so I beleive. Anybody feel like doing a bit of "hex 30" illuminating?

When 6th line is changing it usually means we stayed too long in the situation. The full circle finished with line 5(the representative of Heaven), if 6 changes we stayed too long and now we are in the situation after all the changes in it have finished.

While 1st line changing usually means we are exiting the situation too early, before any of the changes hold in it have time to manifest.

In this sense line 5 changing is someone contemplating their own life as a gathering of everything that has happened before. It is the final step in contemplation and exiting from there at the final step.

In Line 6 is someone that has done all the other steps, but after they contemplated their own life as representing heaven fully, they are still in the same situation/hexagram/type of change. And in there now, only thing left to contemplate is everything as a whole, without any specifics, just a void contemplation on existence as a whole.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the age of this thread. It was started in 2006 12 years ago ! The person has not been here since 2007 11 years ago so there is no point responding to them as if they were here.

Not your fault but for some reason someone tacked a comment onto an ancient thread and now you are answering as if the person asked today.

I think old threads, certainly threads this old, should be locked except to the one who started them but apparently it's not practical.

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
I think old threads, certainly threads this old, should be locked except to the one who started them but apparently it's not practical.
I see why responding to the old threads may not be useful.
However, this question is posted in the "Exploring Divination" forum and the OP has asked how the lines should be interpreted without referring to any specific personal situation. Here we find a source of information about the lines' meaning/interpretation in general.
Is it better to start a new thread?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I see why responding to the old threads may not be useful.
However, this question is posted in the "Exploring Divination" forum and the OP has asked how the lines should be interpreted without referring to any specific personal situation. Here we find a source of information about the lines' meaning/interpretation in general.

True, it was a general question. I think reading through the last few replies I got the impression people were answering as if it were to help with a reading although re-reading I can see it's also a general discussion. I still don't understand why people rejuvenate 12 year old threads, that's not to do with their comment but the fact that others automatically see it as a current thread, sometimes addressing people who have been dead for a decade.

I see your point though but you aren't talking about how 2 top lines in general should be interpreted you are talking about a reading of 20.5.6 - and,unaccountably,23.6

In 20.5.6 -> 2, one contemplates both his and another's life, and should decide what to do with the possibilities (2; fertile ground)- or to remain receptive and wait and see what happens next (the acceptance of the earth). The hidden line is 23.6: "A large fruit not eaten. The superior man acquires a carriage. The inferior man's house falls apart." The potential is there - it's up to you how to act on it

:confused: If a person cast 20.5.6 where would 23.6 come into it ? What do you mean by 'hidden line' ? If 23.6 were the answer then the person would have cast 23.6.

the OP has asked how the lines should be interpreted without referring to any specific personal situation.

It isn't possible to interpret without regard for a situation. I will re - read first post,from12 years ago :rolleyes:

Read it. It was a reading she had she then just wants to know how to apply the lines.

There's no rule against necro-posting here so unfortunately the confusion it causes continues. However I do see your point that this is a more general topic. Necroposting, is much more confusing in SR unless it is the OP who returns of course.

Well having read the thread, yes definitely IMO. This one is not only ancient it is unclear as well. It is about a reading then the person says it isn't it is all theoretical so people don't exactly know how to respond.

Necroposting always means someone has to come along to say 'this thread is not current' so I regard it as a nuisance. Why not just link to the old thread in a new one ? That way people can still connect to the old thread whilst engaging with the new thread.

You can do what you like of course.

Last edited:

Gmulii

visitor
Reaction score
:confused: If a person cast 20.5.6 where would 23.6 come into it ? What do you mean by 'hidden line' ? If 23.6 were the answer then the person would have cast 23.6.

Its the Progress Hexagram.

Hidden-Lines.png

The hidden line is 23.6: "A large fruit not eaten. The superior man acquires a carriage. The inferior man's house falls apart."

I get that in this context it means something else, as this is the inner(nuclear/progress) Hexagram, so the idea is that this isn't easily seen.
However, Hidden Line usually have very different meaning.

The idea is in each Hexagram there are lines that could be hidden. However, if we look in any software or website that shows the Hexagrams in more depth we can see it can never be line 6.
That is connected to how a Hexagram is moving in its own Palace, lets just say line 6 is outside of the situation, so doesn't make much sense to have another line behind it.

In here the hidden lines are shown below the Hexagram, so for Hexagram 20 it would be lines 1 and 5.

Hidden-Line-3.png

So what is hidden line?
Hidden Spirit and it comes in connection to Flying Spirit.
The idea here is that each Hexagram must have all 5 elements and relations. If one of them is missing we find it behind the lines, to the original Hexagram of that Palace(in case of 20 it would be Qian Hexagram).

So in that sense we have 2 lines one over another. The line that is standing on top of the Hidden Spirit we call Flying Spirit(as it may disappear when the hidden line is supported enough to come out of hiding).
So depending on the strength of the elements and their relations one of them is usually active, while the other one is hidden.

In this case for example we can see behind line 1 there is Zi Water(Child) line hiding. Can it interact?
Well... Earth controls Water and first line is Earth. So initially no. However we are asking in Zi month, so that means it will interact with everything from the Month(while still staying hidden behind its parent). At the same time it will still be controlled and hidden from Wei in the day.

Meaning there would be Child/Parent movement where one will show then the other will show and each time one of them will hide behind the other.
However, as both are in the Day/Month(if asked today) it also means both will interact, but not directly, instead it will be through the different things in the environment(for example the parent will use a structure around them to "step on" as base for interaction with all other lines).

Anyway, all this is just to clarify that usually Hidden Line has a very different meaning. Although I get why its used like this here, it still makes sense, but can lead to confusion in the future as the terminology is used for a specific line relation that isn't presented on line 6 here.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
But this below is an entirely different system, an entirely different I Ching to the one Mary is using. She is using text based interpretation and that along with these other methods doesn't work.

There is one answer from the I Ching when you consult. That one answer will be with regards to the method used.

Hidden Spirit and it comes in connection to Flying Spirit.
The idea here is that each Hexagram must have all 5 elements and relations. If one of them is missing we find it behind the lines, to the original Hexagram of that Palace(in case of 20 it would be Qian Hexagram).

So in that sense we have 2 lines one over another. The line that is standing on top of the Hidden Spirit we call Flying Spirit(as it may disappear when the hidden line is supported enough to come out of hiding).
So depending on the strength of the elements and their relations one of them is usually active, while the other one is hidden.

In this case for example we can see behind line 1 there is Zi Water(Child) line hiding. Can it interact?
Well... Earth controls Water and first line is Earth. So initially no. However we are asking in Zi month, so that means it will interact with everything from the Month(while still staying hidden behind its parent). At the same time it will still be controlled and hidden from Wei in the day.

Meaning there would be Child/Parent movement where one will show then the other will show and each time one of them will hide behind the other.
However, as both are in the Day/Month(if asked today) it also means both will interact, but not directly, instead it will be through the different things in the environment(for example the parent will use a structure around them to "step on" as base for interaction with all other lines).

None of this means anything to me. It isn't the I Ching I consult when I consult. I don't know exactly what method you are using but I know it isn't one for me. It seems terribly formulaic and complicated and impersonal. Moreover it's results, the interpretations this kind of approach arrives at, scarcely have seemed worth the effort from what I have seen. Often the end result of all these calculations is just a dead end prediction. By 'dead end' I mean well dead end such as 'you will not marry him and you will not marry till2021' so that the querent is left a helpless puppet of fate which is the last thing I see as the I Ching's purpose. Now that is a generalisation based on what I have seen of these kinds of approaches in the past. Your interpretations may be entirely different I'm just saying how these kinds of methods seem to me.

If you use that method then your explanation is clearly viable but if someone is understanding the I Ching through text, through what it says, they cannot also at the same time use plum blossom/weng wang gua or any of the others as they will come to entirely different interpretations for each.

I have no interest in or attraction to any of these other methods but I accept others do. I want to know what Mary thinks the hidden line is since as far as I know she uses a text based method. Perhaps the hidden line is also a part of that that can be simply explained. I am not using anything that relates to parent/child etc etc and I can't see that Mary is using weng wang gua/plumblossom or any other of those methods that aren't actually the same I Ching that I consult.

So Mary what do you mean by hidden line ? How do you arrive at that calculation and why ? What's it's function for you ?

More to the point what does this actually mean ?

In 20.5.6 -> 2, one contemplates both his and another's life, and should decide what to do with the possibilities (2; fertile ground)- or to remain receptive and wait and see what happens next (the acceptance of the earth). The hidden line is 23.6: "A large fruit not eaten. The superior man acquires a carriage. The inferior man's house falls apart." The potential is there - it's up to you how to act on it.

What do you think 23.6 has to do with this cast ?

It's also worth noting that the person who began the thread 12 years ago was actually asking about the text.

ETA all that sounds terribly ungrateful for your explanation - but don't delete it, others may understand it though I don't.

Last edited:

Gmulii

visitor
Reaction score
You don't need to say below each post that this system isn't for you.
The post wasn't for you or Mary, obviously these systems aren't for you as you said it multiple times already. And also obviously Mary is just starting with the Confucian approach, way too early to go deeper.

But forums are open spaces. I have learn so much from old topics in old forums that I have to be thankful to the people that wrote it back then, without being sure how useful it would be or when someone would need it.
In my view I'm just returning the favor. While most members here doesn't seem interested in other systems from the Five Arts(or other approaches in the same system, more on that below), someday someone may be and if they try to get info they will just stumble upon very expensive seminars in Asia with usually very little info given.

Few people helped me in forums to get pass that initial point, I'm doing the same, for current and future readers.

Some longer explanation of my view to these systems in response that I maybe should have mentioned before is below.

By 'dead end' I mean well dead end such as 'you will not marry him and you will not marry till2021' so that the querent is left a helpless puppet of fate which is the last thing I see as the I Ching's purpose.

The idea when using most of these forms of divination is that as soon as you read the answer the situation start to change. As you understand your role in it very clearly and you can just shift your view/attitude and everything around you can start to support you. So in my experience its more or less the opposite. However, to be able to do that you have to actually understand the relations presented. If you don't then yea - it will just be some info that doesn't show you what you can change.

Same as the text with the lines. You read the text, if you don't understand it it will seem like dead end prophecy. If you do it will be like a friend giving you good advice, more often then not.
Problem isn't in the system, problem is in the knowledge when reading and how much of what is presented can fully be understood.

If you use that method then your explanation is clearly viable but if someone is understanding the I Ching through text, through what it says, not via the time of casting or any of that they cannot also at the same time use plum blossom/weng wang gua or any of the others as they will come to entirely different interpretations for each.

In the passed down traditions in Asia I have seen more then once someone sharing that their masters view was that Zhouyi(the text with the lines) is made with method similar to Liu Yao.
Just as a way, so people can still use it without learning the complicated calculations attributed to it. And of course since its general view it won't always be accurate but its the best possible thing without going into the difficult parts.

While we can follow it back to the Jing Fangs teacher, even just looking at his books Chinese authors seems to agree he just recorder system used for long time before him and considered how carefully some of these systems are passed down even through the First Emperor with the books destruction and everything, it may have been passed down for a very long time in my view.

If we think about it Duke of Zhou is supposed to have written the text of system that was already in existence for a long time before. Did he just come up with all that from his own experience without any systematic way to read the lines... I doubt it.

Usually when it comes to stuff like that I always take the view of the Asian masters when its different then western historians and I have no problem with the idea system like this can be passed down for a thousand years if needed... Much more then the idea Duke of Zhou had some higher knowledge and instead of systematize already known knowledge invented everything.

At the end as we will probably never know what actually happen that doesn't matter as much. What matters to me is that Yi Jing in the place where they live and breath that,is viewed in a very different way. As a part of a bigger whole(The Five Arts) interconnected with all the other systems in the Five Arts(including systems like Face Reading /Mian Xiang and many others.

Its more then fine if we want to practice only the Confucian approach to it, however same knowledge of how it is viewed in Asia doesn't seem like the worse idea from time to time.

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
Its more then fine if we want to practice only the Confucian approach to it,

It is erroeneous to call text based Yi comprehension as a
"Confucian approach". It was used that way for 400 years before he started adding his commentary.

Last edited:

Gmulii

visitor
Reaction score
It is erroeneous to call text based Yi comprehension as a
"Confucian approach". It was used that way for 400 years before he started adding his commentary.

In theory sure. Zhouyi was there long before Confucius.

But take a western person that doesn't know anything about the Chinese Calendars and systems. Give him only Zhouyi(that is the bolded lines in most translation, without anything else). See how much they will understand.

With that should be also very clear how much influence the 10 wings(Confucianism commentaries) have on the text in the west, when it was decided parts of them will be included in the translations.

So in theory Zhouyi was there for long time before, sure. However, the western view to the text is almost fully based on the Confucianism commentaries and not on the lines of Zhouyi alone, from what I have seen.

While the eastern view to the text, even before Confucius its still very difficult to know, as the practical aspect much more connected to Taoism today, have always been passed down in very long and carefully lead lineages, father to son or master to apprentice, so hoping to find it in history books is unlikely.

And yes, zhouyi is older then Tao Te Ching, doesn't mean the practical systems were not there already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Wings

And the 10 wings are, of course important part of Confucianism.

Gmulii

visitor
Reaction score
I thought about it, maybe relating the whole approach to Confucius is somewhat unfair.
While there is influence from the wings, people do try to go beyond them focusing on the Zhouyi text often...

Also even just the wings, I'm a really big fan of the 8th wing and in my view I like to think of it as not belonging to Confucianism or written by Confucius or his students.

So lets instead say "text with the lines" approach and everyone can be happy. : )

F

Freedda

I recently read something (and I paraphrase): "hypothetical situations are the antithesis of magic." (Note to self: perhaps making hypothetical statements about hypothetical situations is also the antithesis of magic.)

That said:

I think Hexagram 20 is about gaining perspective. The hexagram reminds me of a tower. One can gain perspective by standing at it's base and looking up at the tower and the vast sky and the winds, or one can climb to the top of the tower and look out across the diverse and wonderous Earth, or stop off at a number of spots in-between to gain perspective.

The lines offer us specific ways to go about doing that.

20.5 says that we should observe (look to) our own lives to gain perspective. I take it to mean to look at our own motivations, thoughts, actions, etc. Or, perhaps taking a more spiritual view, to look inward.

20.6 says to observe others' lives to gain perspective. The rub here is what is meant by 'other.' It likely includes other people, but I think 'others' might also includes other species, and rivers, rocks, trees, and maybe other realms, and certainly the symbolism and meanings of the trigrams, such as Wind, Earth Mountain ... which seems to be exactly what the authors of the Yi offered us.

And 20.5.6 would be to observe both ...

Gua 20 offers a range of perspectives, including those of the shamans and the mystics, and they are all valid and have value - in different ways and for different situations (that are not hypothetical :duh:).

Best, David.

Last edited:

cavarose

visitor
Reaction score
Look at the age of this thread. It was started in 2006 12 years ago ! The person has not been here since 2007 11 years ago so there is no point responding to them as if they were here.

Not your fault but for some reason someone tacked a comment onto an ancient thread and now you are answering as if the person asked today.

It is Dec 2021 and I am finding value in everyone’s contemplations over the course of time. I often read old threads for insight as opposed to posting new queries to the community on well documented reading combinations. Please don’t lock the threads.

That said I am trying to reconcile in myself a long cyclical relationship and trying to summon the will to close the book on it. Today I asked “What’s the best that can come between he and I?” I am finding this very useful.

GreenHazel

visitor
Reaction score
In this sense line 5 changing is someone contemplating their own life as a gathering of everything that has happened before. It is the final step in contemplation and exiting from there at the final step.

THIS

GreenHazel

visitor
Reaction score

But I'm reading with real interest all the comments, and the last thing I do is reading the date...

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
But I'm reading with real interest all the comments, and the last thing I do is reading the date...
Wisdom never ages or dies! Take every opportunity you can to expose yourself to wisdom. The patterns just keep on rolling along for all to see.

First you see the patterns coming and bringing the whiff of new structure into your world. You are rightly cautious because of what you may have to give up or change in your life (20.5).

Then you see the benefits the new wisdom truly offers and embrace it wholeheartedly. No mistake here either. (20.6).

Thanks for reviving this thread. It made interesting reading for me too. Some wise old owls have made telling contributions to this thread back in the day.

Christeen's original observation between 'my' and 'his' clearly demonstrates how 20.5 is wrapped up in old personal perspectives that we own - the old tunes we habitually play - and 20.6 indicates the difference that stepping back (away from how we see ourselves and our old tunes) into the role of detached observer (I no longer own them; they are not mine) can bring through the benefits of an independent new wisdom being accepted into our inner and outer world.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well that 2018 comment wasn't addressed to you was it it was addressed at the time to someone who was writing directly to christeen, the op, who has not been here since 2007. If it isn't obvious I was pointing out to Gmulii that he was replying to someone who has not been here for a very long time. I cannot see what that has to with you reading anything now. Personally I don't see much point in actually replying, that is writing directly to someone who is no longer here/dead or left. If you do well go ahead. But you are talking about reading not writing so I can't see what that has to do with my 2018 comment to Gmulli. No need to reply but if you still don't understand what I said to Gmulii 5 years ago feel free to message me. :rolleyes:

Mykey said
Wisdom never ages or dies! The patterns just keep on rolling along for all to se

And that 5 year old comment of mine Greenhazel replied to had nothing to do with the agelessness of wisdom. It's a message to say to someone 'the one you are replying to is no longer here'. Somehow that simple practical message written 5 years ago is now illogically being construed as implying somehow that wisdom goes out of date. :???: No wisdom does not go out of date and that has nothing to do with pointing out someone is replying to someone long gone.

Greenhazel said, repeating quote as different point
Well obviously the date is not so relevant to you if you are reading :???: but if a person is actually writing to someone who is dead/left/ not here for 15 years then the date is relevant as spending an hour or so writing personally to someone who isn't here any more is a waste of energy, I don't understand your comment as if you aren't replying to the OP then no you don't need to look at the date I suppose. Maybe you were replying to the OP when you said

...I don't know if you were replying direct to OP or someone else or not, but as it's just one word I guess it won't cost you anything even if the OP is not here.

So in a nutshell it is a thread that rolls on with people chatting amongst themselves but the OP christeen has not been here since 2007, 16 years ago, and so it's possible she will never see the replies although who knows.....

ps......of course if replying it really is worth looking at dates since there are now threads in existence where everyone on the thread is dead or long gone. Now of course their wisdom goes on and people may wish to go on chatting about what the deceased have said but if they start directly addressing a person who died 10 years ago/helping them with an interpretation and so on well I'd have thought the fact they are writing their advice and thoughts to a dead person or one long gone is relevant information.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).