...life can be translucent

Menu

"Chien Tung" - divination sticks?

peter

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just today my fellow LJ user got his "divination sticks" from China. Well, really he wanted his friend to bring just 50 yarrow-stalks, but she got these "Chien Tung". It is a bamboo box with 60 sticks in it. Luckily, I found it in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chien_Tung . The divinatiory process is the most simple you can imagine: take one stick at random and read its text. They say it is being used in Chinese Buddhist temples.

But I want to ask about variants: how many sticks can there be? Oh, i.e. how many sticks have you seen in such boxes? He got 60, I saw 78 at some online shop - are there more variants?

boyler

visitor
Reaction score
peter said:
Hello all,

Just today my fellow LJ user got his "divination sticks" from China. Well, really he wanted his friend to bring just 50 yarrow-stalks, but she got these "Chien Tung". It is a bamboo box with 60 sticks in it. Luckily, I found it in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chien_Tung . The divinatiory process is the most simple you can imagine: take one stick at random and read its text. They say it is being used in Chinese Buddhist temples.

But I want to ask about variants: how many sticks can there be? Oh, i.e. how many sticks have you seen in such boxes? He got 60, I saw 78 at some online shop - are there more variants?

There are many sets of fortune-tellers bamboo sticks, more than 160 as far
as I know, and in each set there could be from 11 up to 384 bamboo sticks.
Each set is dedicated to a certain deity, usually to a main deity to whom a
temple is dedicated, and one of most popular is that dedicated to Guan Yin.
But it's not only a Buddhist tradition. One could find fortune-tellers
bamboo sticks in Daoist temples too.

Personally, I've seen sets of 60 and 100 bamboo sticks, but I've also seen
texts/poems/lots or just partial texts/poems/lots of many other sets.

--
boyler
www.hidden-city.net

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
peter said:
Hello all,

Divination sticks are very popular among Chinese because it is easy and simple.
What is important is sincerity.

100 is a normal number, but there is no constraint to that in my opinion.
I use divination stick too for its simplicity.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).