...life can be translucent

Menu

Two hostels to pick from

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
I've decided on two different hostels. I asked the same question about both of them: What do I need to know about staying at X?

First hostel: 15

The answer seems clear enough. It's a modest place.

Second hostel: 29.1.5 to 19

This one was alarming because it was the one that seems much better. It even won some sort of award. Everyone is provided with a locked storage locker which is located under the bed...24 reception service...entry is secured with cards etc. The other one does not provide this. I will also be staying in an all-female dorm. Am I making too much of the 29 given the fact that the relating hex is 19? When I asked what the danger was for me there the answer was 54, no changing lines. I'm torn now because this is the one I want to stay at. Does anyone have any ideas about this reading? Is it that bad, or is it just saying perhaps that my stay there will be more exciting?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
"First hostel: 15"

Probably an ordinary unpretentious place, that is so-so, down at the cheaper end of the market, nothing special here, lacks certain kinds of amenities, seems okay. If you want something cheap, no frills then this is the place for you.

"Second hostel: 29.1.5 to 19"

Hex 29.1 perhaps the danger here is your liking for the luxuries that this place provides, I would imagine that it will cost you quite a bit more in the long run than the first place. The pit is a trap but the only trap here is your over doing things moneywise, spending too much if you are not very careful. The evils of having a great time.

Hex 29.5 I believe that this line indicates that you should join in with the others and go with the flow, have a good time if you stay here but the only danger that I can see is spending too much(drinks,food etc.), so keep your money in your pocket whenever possible.

Hex 19 this is a very nice place to stay at, you will be quite happy here.

"When I asked what the danger was for me there the answer was 54, no changing lines."

Being out of your depth at the second place, perhaps the place will turn out to be too nice for you and on the expensive side of reasonable, so if the others in the dorm want to blow their money, hold back and don't overdo things, be sensible.

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hex 29 - perhaps there is no 'danger' really but there is something .. what? A leaking roof? A flood? :)
Probably not, but maybe the place is crowded, chaotical. And that dorm, who knows if they are feasting there all night, which could be fun, unless you want to sleep.
Not sure if 19 is part of the answer. I think it is possible that it only reflects your "this is the one I want to stay at".

Hex 54, to find your place - to 'marry' into it - in the second hostel is probably not so easy. A group thing?
But you might like the challenge and 29 is also not necessarily bad. It depends on what you prefer. The second hostel may be chaotical but also more "alive" and exciting than the first.
15 sounds rather quiet to me. It could also indicate a more solitary experience, I think.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for the input!

Yes, the first hostel is, I think, more quiet. It's also a few stops more away from the center of town...out towards the suburbs. I was actually worried a bit about that because I like to step out...go back to my room...and then step out again. I was worried that it was going to be difficult at this hostel. I also couldn't tell from the map how far away this hostel was from the metro station. I was a bit worried about walking in dark residential areas at night.

You mentioned leaky roofs etc. Martin. I was thinking the same thing. I thought...is a water pipe going to break while I'm there? :) Well, the building is old...19th century...but this is a historic building and it was recently renovated. It looks beautiful from the photos. Their website is also very nice...so if they care about that I'm going to assume that they also care about the hostel itself.

Yes, this second hostel is a bit more expensive than the first but not overly so. However, there probably is the possibility of me spending more money here...because there's an on-site restaurant/cafe.

About the 54. I'm slightly over 40 and I guess that's a little old fogey-ish for a youth hostel....and this second hostel does seem more youth oriented. That could be what the 54 is referring to. However, I don't care too much about that. The place looks nice, safe and is more centrally located. It also seems more secure...so if I have to endure a few 20-something backpackers raising hell...I don't really care.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
Update:

I went with the second hostel, the 29 to 19. Beautiful place. So, what was the 29? My only complaints about the place had to do with WATER. I found the shower and toilet facilities a bit awkward....and at one point a toilet overflowed. It won't stop me from going back there though because overall it was a very nice place.

I think the 54 referred to the fact that I felt out of control there - lack of privacy when I wanted it etc. I had trouble sleeping and I'm wiped out!

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
esolo said:
I've decided on two different hostels. I asked the same question about both of them: What do I need to know about staying at X?

I'd say that the Yi answered your question, but that you didn't understand your own question well enough to interpret the results. You asked what you needed to know about staying at those places, you didn't ask about the places themselves. So, when you drew 15 for the first place, you applied that to the hostel, thinking it was describing the hostel as 'modest'. However, I think the Yi is telling you what you need to know about staying at that place; in other words, *you* have to take a modest approach. And as for the other place, it isn't saying the place is dangerous, it's saying that your experience of staying there will involve some danger. The place itself might be safe as houses, but if you stay there, you'll go through some sort of risk. It might not be physical danger at all; it might be emotional or spiritual or relational. But it'll be easy enough to navigate through it if you follow your heart.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Wow. I just read the rest of the thread. (I often don't read the responses to the first post before I interpret, cuz I don't want other people's responses to affect what I see in a situation.) The reason I say 'wow' is cuz your experience had nothing to do with danger or risk, and everything to do with the structure of Hex 29 - water doubled. And your experience was definitely negative in the area of H2O! On the one hand, that Yi result is so elegant, echoing your experience so neatly. On the other hand, how could you be expected to interpret something like that? Impossible! And *that* is one of the reasons I'm so impressed. The Yi gave you something elegant, but impossible to interpret in a way that would be useful. I mean, if it had been me, I'd've given the second hostel a miss and gone to the cheaper one, based on the results of the two consultations. And what danger would I have avoided? A wonky shower and an overflowing toilet! Big deal.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
dobro said:
. The Yi gave you something elegant, but impossible to interpret in a way that would be useful. I mean, if it had been me, I'd've given the second hostel a miss and gone to the cheaper one, based on the results of the two consultations. And what danger would I have avoided? A wonky shower and an overflowing toilet! Big deal.

Lol you sound almost disapointed Dobro, you know like you would rather have avoided something a bit more dramatic than an overflowing toilet.
The thing is though often our questions are just of no great import one way or the other but the Yi has to answer something, or rather we are going to pullout a hexagram whatever the question. Maybe the most Yi had to say about that hotel was the toilet. Hmm sounds trivial but still pretty unpleasant. Perhaps there was not much in it either way, no major factors for either ? Esolo also says s/he (?) felt out of control there though it was beautiful, sounds 29ish to me.

Thanks for the feedback Esolo, I find it interesting.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
trojan said:
Lol you sound almost disapointed Dobro, you know like you would rather have avoided something a bit more dramatic than an overflowing toilet.

Thanks for the feedback Esolo, I find it interesting.

I'm not disappointed that Esolo had nothing worse than a crummy loo to deal with, and I agree with you when you say that the Yi comments on very ordinary stuff sometimes. But that's what impresses me about this, and it sort of frustrates me as well. I mean, if you draw 28.6, it would be useful to know whether that meant a bird was going to crap on your head or whether it meant you were in danger of dying. You know, I've always been a very big fan of asking the Yi open questions like 'what do I need to know about...?' but when you do this you have no idea of the scale of magnitude or importance of the event imaged in the Yi. It's frustrating. It would be very useful if there could be a degree of magnitude attached: big, medium, small. It would be very useful if there could be a field attached to the image, so that we knew if the issue was primarily physical, emotional, spiritual, social, and so on.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
But it could be that the Yi only works with rather general images and symbols. It might be the specific information doesn't come through this way for most people.

esolo

visitor
Reaction score
dobro said:
The reason I say 'wow' is cuz your experience had nothing to do with danger or risk, and everything to do with the structure of Hex 29 - water doubled. And your experience was definitely negative in the area of H2O! On the one hand, that Yi result is so elegant, echoing your experience so neatly. On the other hand, how could you be expected to interpret something like that? Impossible!

Martin did mention problems with water,

Hex 29 - perhaps there is no 'danger' really but there is something .. what? A leaking roof? A flood?

That struck a chord with me and because I was so fond of the idea of staying at that hostel, I went there. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the water situation :)

This hostel was indeed rather chaotic and not at all quiet. Beautiful, but a lot of hustle and bustle. One night, at around 3 or 4AM three new people arrived and switched on all the lights in the room and started talking and unpacking their things. Woke everyone in the room up and we weren't very happy. I had never had that happen to me before in a hostel. It was a real 54 moment.

The other hostel was farther away from the center of town and probably would have been quieter.

autumn

visitor
Reaction score
dobro said:
but when you do this you have no idea of the scale of magnitude or importance of the event imaged in the Yi. It's frustrating. It would be very useful if there could be a degree of magnitude attached: big, medium, small. It would be very useful if there could be a field attached to the image, so that we knew if the issue was primarily physical, emotional, spiritual, social, and so on.

There is such a filter. It is your question.

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In other words, when more specificity is needed you can ask progressively narrower questions ...

rinda

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
autumn said:
There is such a filter. It is your question.

I understand you, but I don't think it's always doable. If you ask an open question along the lines of 'what do I need to know about this?' you'll get a result which you'll interpret. But why would you ask more questions about magnitude and field based on the result?

So today I asked: "What do I need to know right now?" and I drew 33.1. So I reflect on my life and look at where I need to think in terms of 33.1. Now, 33.1 mentions danger, and I always take 'danger' in the Yi to mean possibility of harm or injury. So how do I find the field that this danger is in? Without using a yes/no question I mean, cuz I think using yes/no questions with the Yi is like using a computer to make change for a customer in a shop.

autumn

visitor
Reaction score
dobro said:
But why would you ask more questions about magnitude and field based on the result?

You don't. It's already built in to the question. Esolo's question about a hostel was a practical, down-to-earth, and (somewhat) trivial question. So, the symbols merged with the intention of the question and they communicated information about concrete, short-term matters. They can represent literal elements, such as water or fire, or they can represent metaphors for physical processes, or they can represent directions, or movement, or all sorts of appropriate symbols based on your intention and focus at the time of the question.

She wasn't sure whether 29 was warning her of a real danger, so she followed up the question with a specific emphasis on her concern. "Show me what the danger would be here?", and she got 54 unchanging, which essentially means some feeling of being inconvenienced or needing to put up with something. But it wasn't a big deal- so, 54 unchanging.

I mean- she wouldn't interpret 54 as being cheated on by her spouse if she went to the hostel- that wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense. So why interpret 29 as literally being in danger? For example.. Bradford translates 29.1 as "going into the canyon's inner recesses". In this situation- maybe her room was in an inner part of the builing that made it difficult to escape noise. Context.

I see people disregard the question and its intention constantly- and it's an error. You can't get a good interepretation without understanding the question as a critical part of the answer. It's an exchange- a dialouge.

Last edited:

autumn

visitor
Reaction score
dobro said:
So today I asked: "What do I need to know right now?" and I drew 33.1. So I reflect on my life and look at where I need to think in terms of 33.1. Now, 33.1 mentions danger, and I always take 'danger' in the Yi to mean possibility of harm or injury. So how do I find the field that this danger is in? Without using a yes/no question I mean, cuz I think using yes/no questions with the Yi is like using a computer to make change for a customer in a shop.

What do I need to know right now? Nothing. There's no crisis. Stop worrying.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
autumn said:
What do I need to know right now? Nothing. There's no crisis. Stop worrying.

I'm not worrying. The example I used was by way of illustration - there's nothing in the Yi's response to indicate the magnitude of the situation or the context. I do agree with you that the question contains the context that makes the answer intelligible. For instance, one of the big concerns for me these days is spiritual, and it's my belief that my drawing 33.1 was addressing an issue in that field. No crisis, you're right; but a danger nevertheless. And the reason I think that way is because I sort of know the contour of my life at the moment. And the fact that I know something about the contour of my life means I understand where my question's coming from and what it's actually asking of the Yi. Yet imagine I *wasn't* so clear about the question - in that case, there's nothing in the symbols of 33.1 that might give me a nudge or a hint about how big the issue is or in what sector of my life it might be found. If I don't get what the Yi's reflecting, then I just don't get it. No help, no hints. It's frustrating sometimes. But I said that before.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).