...life can be translucent

Menu

Why is a Gemini person not born in Janurary?

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I missed all the festivities due to moving house and losing my internet connection for a while so HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! :D

This is more of an astrology history question than I Ching related.

I was wondering why Gemini's aren't born in January? When I was younger and learning about mythology I was taught that the month of January was named after the Roman god Janus who is also sometimes known as Janus Geminus. I was wondering if anyone knew any history of the astrological signs - like why they were allocated to the months they were, where their names came from, that kind of thing.

Thanks
Nicky

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Happy new year, Nicky! :)

It's a bit complicated.
Perhaps you know this already but in case you don't - there are two zodiacs, one is called 'tropical', the other 'sidereal'.
The signs of the tropical zodiac - which is used by most astrologers nowadays - correspond to the seasons on the northern hemisphere. Aries is the first sign of spring, Taurus the next, Gemini the last. Cancer is the first sign of summer, and so on.
The signs of the sidereal zodiac, on the other hand, correspond to star constellations.

In the distant past (about 2200 years ago, iirc, but it also depends on how one defines the boundaries of the star constellations) the two zodiacs coincided. But that is now no longer the case, due to a phenomenon called 'precession of the equinoxes', that I will not try to explain ... :)

The first degree of the tropical sign Aries is now in the star constellation Pisces. Because of that we are said to live in the age of Pisces. According to some estimates the first degree of Aries will move to the star constellation Aquarius around 2600 AD. The start of the age of Aquarius .. But there is again a problem with boundaries so nobody really knows and there are people who think it already started. :eek:

As to the names of the star constellations (the names of the tropical signs are derived from them, although the two zodiacs no longer coincide), they have a long history. It goes back to Babylonian and Sumerian times and the names have not always been the same.

You can find some information about the history of the name 'Gemini' here. There is also info for the other signs (click one of them in the list to the right).

Hope this helps a little. :)

nicky_p

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Martin,

No, I didn't know any of that! :D

Interesting site as well - I've saved it to my favorites to delve deeper at a later date.

Thank you
Nicky
xx

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).