...life can be translucent

Menu

Thread working

jdjms

visitor
Reaction score
How exactly do you use threads, what is the Quote button, and what does it do? In the past I've always tried to avoid things like these because I could never figure out how to use them. But I think It's about time I started learning.

So, any bit of Info would be greatly apppreciated.

Please & Thankyou.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
jdjms said:
How exactly do you use threads, what is the Quote button, and what does it do? In the past I've always tried to avoid things like these because I could never figure out how to use them. But I think It's about time I started learning.

So, any bit of Info would be greatly apppreciated.

Please & Thankyou.

A thread is a series of messages that people exchange on one topic. The first post in the thread states the topic. For instance, you just started a thread called 'thread working', and the topic seems to be how to use threads and the quote button on this bulletin board. My post is the second post in this thread. It's considered good etiquette to stay on topic when you post in a thread that somebody started; it's considered poor etiquette to change the topic lightly - it's called 'hijacking' the thread. Sometimes threads sort of stray off-topic by unspoken common agreement though. Watch and learn.

When you click the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of somebody's post, it does two things simultaneously. It opens a text window for you to type a reply to that post, and it quotes what the person said in the post where you clicked the QUOTE button. It's a handy way of letting everybody who reads the thread know who it is that you're replying to. For instance, by clicking the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of your post, I got what you said 'quoted' at the top of my post. That way, you (and everybody who reads this thread) knows that I'm replying to you. Nifty, yes?

You're welcome.

beithe

visitor
Reaction score
thank you dobro

dobro said:
A thread is a series of messages that people exchange on one topic. The first post in the thread states the topic. For instance, you just started a thread called 'thread working', and the topic seems to be how to use threads and the quote button on this bulletin board. My post is the second post in this thread. It's considered good etiquette to stay on topic when you post in a thread that somebody started; it's considered poor etiquette to change the topic lightly - it's called 'hijacking' the thread. Sometimes threads sort of stray off-topic by unspoken common agreement though. Watch and learn.

When you click the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of somebody's post, it does two things simultaneously. It opens a text window for you to type a reply to that post, and it quotes what the person said in the post where you clicked the QUOTE button. It's a handy way of letting everybody who reads the thread know who it is that you're replying to. For instance, by clicking the QUOTE button in the bottom right corner of your post, I got what you said 'quoted' at the top of my post. That way, you (and everybody who reads this thread) knows that I'm replying to you. Nifty, yes?

You're welcome.

Thank you dobro. Rather than scream until my ears bleed I have given up the use of the quote button. It is a little different from other boards I have used. If I can find a way to isolate what I want to quote... my life will be good.

:rofl:
AS to using the board there is a "help" link on the left sidebar.( For all that I still have quote button issues ...it is pretty helpful.)

beithe;)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
dobro said:

You're welcome.

Fantastic tutorial :rofl: Erm re quotes, while we're on topic :blush: I never can figure out how people mange to split up the quote, all I can do is delete the bits I don't want. Like sometimes people have a bit of a quote in a box, some of their own writng and then another bit of the quote. How do they do that, you can only get to the quote box once when you start your answer ?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
There's a 'quote' button on the toolbar as you're writing your reply. It looks like a speech bubble. Click it, and {QUOTE}{/QUOTE} - only with [][] instead of {}{} - appears in what you're writing, and you can copy and paste what you want to quote inbetween ] and [. (Or you can copy and paste the text to quote, highlight it, and then click the 'quote' button.)

If you edit where it says QUOTE to read QUOTE=dobro, then the quote will show up with 'originally posted by dobro' at the top.

If you click 'go advanced' before writing your post, you have access to a 'preview' button, so you can check if you're getting the effect you wanted.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).