...life can be translucent

Menu

Question on 21

pakua

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Someone dear to me recently gave me a gift. Or rather I should say a partial gift. When I first learned of it, I was a bit disappointed and hurt. The normal way would have been a more complete gift.

So of course I asked Yi what was that, and got 21.1. I see that lines 1 and 6 mean one who is being punished. That's pretty close to what I felt. I seem to remember, is it in W/B, something about "if someone does not do good for no reason other than to gain advantage, then this mild punishment might be a good lesson". Something like that. That might seem to fit.

On the other hand, I've read some translation on 21.1 that talks about stopping thoughts at the beginning, before they cause distress.

Knowing the person, the first case might apply, but knowing my own mind, the second might.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on this?

sherab

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Pakua,
I think that the Yi is mirroring a situation where there is an obstacle to union. A gift is generally a way to strengthen union, and evidently there is something in your friend's gesture (of giving a gift) which is obstructing the sense of harmony. It seems that the effect of this is to put you in a situation where you feel excluded, on the outside, held back and, moreover, feeling confined in that place, unable to move, as if your feet were bound.
Traditionally, #21 is one of the hexagrams that deals with legal matters, (particulary emphasized in the W/B translation) and, while there doesn't seem to be a formal legal situation here, something is making you to feel as if you are being judged, or even punished. Or (and perhaps this is a response to that) that you need to make a judgement as to what is going on. You may want to spend some time thinking about what is going on - sort through, become consious of the constellation of feelings aroused here.
One thought about that first line is, if you either let go of, or don't buy into the sense of being punished etc., (do note that there is '...no blame...',) and become more flexible, the whole situation moves to one of progress and movement. Do read the first line of #35, in W/B and beyond, and see what resonance you find there.
Sherab

auriel

visitor
Reaction score
pakua,

another reading of this line, in light of the marketplace symbolism of the hexagram, is about taking care of your own business, minding the store; amidst all the temptations of the marketplace staying in your own corner; like the idea of fiddler's green, where the fiddler wants to join the dance but if he puts down his fiddle the party's over. its not for me to say, but for you to complete the gift yourself you'd have to become more involved in the process and might benefit more thereby, become more focused, and this might have been the intention of your preceptor; even if it wasn't, another facet of the line stresses that you haven't any legal right to complain- the old gift horse. and internalisation of the law, like the taking of legal responsibility at coming-of-age, by chewing over causes and consequences however bitter is the gift of the hexagram.

like in the song, i got a union card for my birthday!
happy.gif

J

jesed

Hi PAKUA

Just in case the commentarie could be useful

In a time to progress by friendly cooperation (related hexagram 35) you have to put away wathever obstacle to union (hexagram 21). If there is no serious fault, you must not be severe but gentle: minor punishment, even just a verbal admonition could be enough.

So, don't make it a bigger issue between you
happy.gif

Best wishes

pakua

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Sherab,

You've got it pretty good, except it is a legal situation. I can see how the situation does lead to progress and movement, so I've been careful to keep my thoughts under control My only question is should I banish them entirely. I suppose eventually they'll diminish, but in the meantime they spoil things.

Auriel,

You're right in the points you make, except maybe in the one point, about having no right to complain. Legally, no, maybe even morally, no, but...but...but.. I don't think it needed to be done that way. It's not that I'm being greedy, it's more the judgement of it, and that I can't say anything. Your last sentence really hits the nail. (what song was that, and what's a union card?)

Jesed,

Yes, I need to put away this obstacle. Somehow I'll need to come to terms with it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

B

bruce

Hi Pakua,

I think 21 is exactly what you're doing by weighing the evidence and facts, and determining how severe your action should be. I don't believe Yi tells you that. I think it's something you have to determine.

sherab

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Pakua,
Banish thoughts entirely? Hmmm.... not sure about that. Given the place of your change line, at the beginning - it is a liminal zone, the threshold of conscious and unconscious, so the inclination to submerge thoughts or impulses might be strong. Also, it is at the beginning of the thunder trigram, so there is a lot of energy and movement there, maybe being experienced as anger or whatever is going on deep down. The whole hexagram is resting on this line, so those impulses are important. It always seems to me that when forceful thoughts/feelings are banished, they just come back around with reinforcements - guns on the hips or a new set of teeth - so there is something to be said for giving heed, or making a space for them, at least in yourself. Perhaps think in terms of transformation rather than banishing ? the line moves from yang to yin - what does that mean to you? the trigram moves from bursting forward to suppleness and openness. Also, that fourth line, the one obstructing the union, is in the middle of water trigram, (nuclear) which is the ear, so who knows, maybe all those thoughts about to be banished could have a hearing in the situation.
Sherab

pakua

visitor
Reaction score
Say Bruce, does your comment mean that you don't agree that line one refers to being punished??

B

bruce

Hi Pakua, I see line 1 as the subject, who's shoes are too tight. I'd say you'd make better progress (relating 35) by 'loosening your laces'.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).