...life can be translucent

Menu

The Work of Nigel Richmond

merlewine

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am coming to the I-Ching from a history in astrology, Western occultism, and Tibetan Buddhism. In the process of working on a software program for the more advanced content of Chinese Astrology, I came across the work of Nigel Richmond thanks to the kindness of Joel Biroco (www.Biroco.com). After working through literally dozens of works of or about the I-Ching, I was thrilled to find an author who is coming at this classic oracle from the point of view of generating his own understanding, rather than trying to adapt or paraphrase what has been done by others. He gets it.

Richmond’s two small books are brilliant and I am writing here to see if anyone here has studied them and would be willing to discuss or comment on them, either here or privately.

Thanks,

Michael Erlewine
Michael@erlewine.net
Background on me: http://www.startypes.com/main_bio.html

Last edited:
B

bruce_g

Hi Michael, and welcome.

There’s a few Nigel fans here. Perhaps they’ll speak up.

Very nice website. It sounds as though you’ve been living a colorful life. I opened for John Prine in Lansing, way back when. Is that near Big Rapids? I see you’ve played some folk gigs in the Village too. Have you played Gurdy’s Folk City or the Bitter End? If your path ever finds its way to AZ, I hope you’ll stop by, and be sure to bring your harp and/or guitar.

frank_r

visitor
Reaction score
Hello Michael,

First welcome!

I also use the books, and especially Language of the lines, more and more.
His books have a certain depht that is really special, I thinks so too.

So when you want to start something about his writings I'm sure that some people will jump in staight away, at least I will.
Some time ago the daughter of Nigel Richmond asked if somebody also had some poems writen by him, maybe she still has some.

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=3392

Frank

merlewine

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Bruce-g: It is funny you mention John Prine. I saw him a few years ago at The Ark in Ann Arbor, Michigan and I am going to see him this Saturday night at the Ann Arbor Folk Festival, where my daughter "Daisy May" is one of the opening acts for Prine. Looking forward to it.

In the early 1960s (1961), I spend plenty of time at Gerdes Folk CIty and the other clubs. In fact, I hung out there with Bob Dylan, and he and I hitchiked together for while. So, I remember all that.

B

bruce_g

merlewine said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Bruce-g: It is funny you mention John Prine. I saw him a few years ago at The Ark in Ann Arbor, Michigan and I am going to see him this Saturday night at the Ann Arbor Folk Festival, where my daughter "Daisy May" is one of the opening acts for Prine. Looking forward to it.

In the early 1960s (1961), I spend plenty of time at Gerdes Folk CIty and the other clubs. In fact, I hung out there with Bob Dylan, and he and I hitchiked together for while. So, I remember all that.

Prine's a great gentleman and lyricist. How cool that your daughter gets to open for him!

I did the coffeehouse circuit, Bitter End, Gurdy's etc, between 75 and 77 (was in my late 20’s). Folk music was already winding down, and some of my tunes were satirical takes on the arrival of glitter rock. Fun times. Also toured awhile with Leon Redbone as an opener.

Must have been an interesting experience, hitching with Dylan. No wonder you remember it!

Gawd, listen to us old geezers!

martin

(deceased)
Reaction score
Welcome Michael. :)

If you like to discuss Nigel here, count me in. I found his book 'Language of the Lines' in the early eighties in a second hand bookshop in London and I think it's a gem.

I'm also interested in parallels between (western) astrology and the I Ching, by the way, but that is another topic .. :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).