Menu

Memorizing threads

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score

getojack

visitor
Reaction score
(will there be a party at the end of the Upper Canon?)

Hey, it's party time! Who's bringing the Cheetos and beer?

...or is this one of those high-class fancy parties with wine and hors d'oeuvres and such?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Millet wine and sacrificial bull, maybe?

susieq777

visitor
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been requested before, but I'm just wondering if it's possible for this thread to be renamed? The "Memorizing Threads" name put me off for quite some time because I presumed it was about ... I'm not really sure, but something that didn't sound very interesting. Meanwhile, I kept coming across these AWESOME threads with so much to glean about each of the separate hexes. It took months and months for it to dawn on me when I noticed a few of them were headed up "Memorizing" that ... oh, duh, that's what that stick is!

Of course, some may not be as thick as I, being non-menopausal :)

Sue

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Well Rosada started the threads in order to memorise the Yi....and as she started them she names them. That's my view anyway....I want them to stay named as they are. Anyone can click to see what they are ...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think the problem might be that those of us who know something of the history of these threads understand the "Memorizing" title perfectly well, but it's a bit opaque to anyone who doesn't.

But I agree with Trojina - I don't know what else it could possibly be called. The threads are their own unique selves, created, as Trojina said, for the purpose of memorizing the I Ching.

But because SusieQ asked the question, there is now some explanation here in the index thread which people will see, which might clear things up :cool:.

susieq777

visitor
Reaction score
I think the problem might be that those of us who know something of the history of these threads understand the "Memorizing" title perfectly well, but it's a bit opaque to anyone who doesn't.

Well, yeah, that's why I suggested it in the first place. The people who know their way around know what they are. Others may miss what to me are some of the bestest threads I've found about the different lines. Sooooo much richness in here.

But yeah, whatever :)

Brendon

visitor
Reaction score
so many numbers and relation i dont seem to understand what is it in reality, what this numbers has to do with our life

Brendon

visitor
Reaction score
memorizing threads would do some good for us or not and why this thread has become so important in our day to day life

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
memorizing threads would do some good for us or not and why this thread has become so important in our day to day life

You aren't making any sense. At least not to me.

Brendon

so many numbers and relation i dont seem to understand what is it in reality, what this numbers has to do with our life

:confused: maybe you might start a thread in open space about what it is you don't understand ? This thread is for links to the memorising threads so I'm not sure what it is you don't understand.

D

deflatormouse

I think it's very helpful to memorize the texts for comparative readings. It enables you to compare and contrast your reading with other readings, a favorite strategy I derived from Trojina (without wanting to implicate Trojina if I've taken it a little overboard).

I'm at the point where I've committed most, if not all, of the Zhouyi text to memory in some combination of English and Chinese, but without consulting any books, I often mistake the text of a line for the text of the line preceding or following it. This is usually overcome if I push myself to recall what the lines before and after it are, but it doesn't always occur to me to do that.

I feel the best approach to memorizing the Yijing is by divination experience, but Chinese schoolkids who were required to memorize it by recitation as children might beg to differ. Either way someone with as much experience as Hilary or Trojina is likely to have committed to memory most if not all of the primary texts. I have written out the texts corresponding to my readings by hand at times, and I think that's helped a bit. So I guess if you're not in a hurry, you're likely to memorize a good amount of the Yining inadverdently, as an unintended but welcome consequence of doing this a lot.

For someone in my position, there's a really helpful memorization aid in Richard Rutt's book, though not intended as such, it makes an excellent study card and 'cheat sheet' for the 'judgement' texts. It does require that you already have those memorized to the extent that you can fill in the blanks from memory given only a descriptive cue or keyword, and that you are familiar with the omen terms (such as 'yuan heng, li zhen') in Chinese and an idea what they mean in English, as well as typically modernist interpritations like "captives" for fu (alternately trust/truth/confidenceblessing/protection/spirit guide, depending who you believe). You also need to know the line texts in some cases, and in some of those I think there are other cues that would be more helpful than the ones he's given, like "Beam" for 28. Maybe it can be edited so that it doesn't have so many prerequisites, although I think the best way, for people who are somewhat familiar with the Chinese, would be to abbreviate ALL of the stock terms as he's abbreviated YHLZ. I'd be up for compiling something like this shorthand for all the line texts.

H to the Izzo:

"Table 12: Synopsis of Hexagram Statements
YHLZ means yuan heng li zhen; WSEN are the cardinal points of the compass.
(Note: the other statemtns in caps are "found in or related to the line statements of the same hexagram")

1 YHLZ
2 YH L mare Z Lost prince. WSEN friends. Safety. Auspicious.
3 YHLZ Not for travel. Lordships.
4 H DODDER ORACLES. Divination instructions. LZ
5 Captives. YH Auspicious. Z Fording.
6 Captives. Auspicious/Disastrous. Great men. Not fording.
7 Z Great Men. Not Fatal.
8 Auspicious. YH long Z. Not fatal. Rebels. Disastrous.
9 H CLOUDS AND RAIN
10 TIGER'S TAIL. H.
11. Small and great. Auspicious H.
12 Offenders. Not for princes. Great and small.
13 MUSTERING. H Fording. L prince Z
14 YH
15 H Prince's achievement.
16 Lordships. Military advance.
17 YHLZ Not fatal.
18 YH Fording. Jia days.
19 YHLZ Months. Disastrous.
20 Sacrifices. Capture.
21 HL Lawsuit.
22 H. Small L. Going.
23 Not going.
24 H Illness. Friend. RETURN TO ORACLE. Going.
25 YHLZ ORACLE Not going.
26 LZ Auspicious eating out. Fording.
27 Z Auspicious. EXAMINE TEETH
28 1ST ORACLE. Travel. H.
29 Prisoners. H Travel.
30 LZH Raising cows.
31 HLZ Betrothal
32 H Not fatal. LZ Travel.
33 H Somewhat LZ
34 LZ
35 Kang's horses.
36 L Hardship Z
37 L. Women Z
38 Small matters auspicious.
39 WSEN Great men. Z auspicious.
40 L WS Not travel. Auspicious for travel and morning.
41 Captives. Y Aupicious. Not fatal Z. Travel. ORACLE.
42. Travel. Fording.
43 King at court. Danger. War omens. Travel.
44 Betrothal (negative).
45 H King at temple. Great men. HLZ. Victims. Travel.
46 YH Great men. Fear not. Auspicious for southern attack.
47 H Z Great men. Not fatal. Gossip.
48 WELL ORACLES. Disastrous.
49 Sacrifice. Captives. YHLZ. Troubles disappear.
50 Y Auspicious H
51 H 1ST ORACLE. Libation instructions. Troubles disappear.
52 CLEAVING ORACLES. Not fatal.
53 Betrothal. LZ
54 Expedition disastrous. Good for nothing.
55 Y King present. Do not worry. MIDDAY.
56 Lesser HZ SOJOURNER. Auspicious.
57 Lesser H Travel. Great men.
58 HLZ
59 H King at temple. Fording. LZ
60 TOP ORACLE. Z not possible.
61 'Pig-fish'. Auspicious. Fording. LZ
62 HLZ Small matters. BIRD ORACLE. Up and down. Auspicious.
63 H Somewhat LZ. First good, then bad.
64 H. FOX ORACLE. Unfavorable."

Last edited:

lena_p

visitor
Reaction score
I must say this thread was so much fun with all the numbers! :) This was quite entertaining to follow!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).