...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorizing the I Ching Hexagram 20. Kaun / contemplation (View)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

THE IMAGE
    The wind blows over the earth.
    the image of CONTEMPLATION.
    Thus the kings of old visited the regions of the world,
    Contemplated the people,
    And gave them instruction.

lightofreason Guest

IC+

Image :
    " [With devotion comes influence] : Contemplation (View) The wind above the earth : Viewing. In primal times one [searched high and low], observing the common people with the intention of setting up a [school]. [Looking for the teachable?]" ... or those to learn from (admire)

The devotion covers devotion to another/others as compared to heaven that is more devotion to oneself.

The influence reflects the nature of a rising wind.

bruce_g Guest

I remember reading in one of Jung's books, he said something about a moment when you're tied up in a quandary, and then you ask yourself "what's really going on here?'" That has always evoked a connection with hex. 20.

http://www.yijing.nl/hexagrams/20.htm

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I like getting hex 20. I think it means I have some space to think without doing just yet. Suits me

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

THE LINES

Six at the beginning means:
    Boy like contemplation.
    For the inferior man, no blame.
    For the superior man, humiliation.

This means comtemplation from a distance, without comprehension. A man of influence is at hand, but his influence is not understood by the common people. This matters little in the case of the masses, for they benefit by the actions of the ruling sage whether they understand them or not. But for a superior man it is a disgrace. He must not content himself with a shallow, thoughtless view of the prevailing forces, he must contemplate them as a connected whole and try to understand them.

The six in the first place pictures a small (because it is a yin line) boy (because it is a yang place). He is very far away from the object of everyone's gaze, i.e., the prince in the fifth place, with whom he has no relationshi; hence the idea of a boyishly inexperienced way of looking about.
    -Wilhelm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Form Hexagram, who is working with this?

Today I have a meeting at work and asked the Yi :What is the best way to behave during the meeting, I got 28-4 changing into 48. But the Form hexagram of 28 is 20. So I was thinking is someone working with the Form hexagrams? because I saw nobody mentioning it till now.

The form hexagram is, for the one who don't know the name or use a different one, the hexagram that is formed when you change the trigrams from the Former Heaven sequence into the trigrams of the Later heaven sequence. Then you have information about where your question is coming from. Information about the idea why you asked this question.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have no idea what you are talking about, Frank. How's that for an example of 20.1?

(I would be interested to know more about it though, should you feel to start a thread on the subject.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Frank,

Quote Originally Posted by frank_r
    The form hexagram is, for the one who don't know the name or use a different one, the hexagram that is formed when you change the trigrams from the Former Heaven sequence into the trigrams of the Later heaven sequence. Then you have information about where your question is coming from. Information about the idea why you asked this question.
    OK, I'm curious... Where did you get that from, what book?

Thanks,

Luis

lightofreason Guest

IC+

Line 1
    "Seeing without understanding. For a child an innocent act. For a supposedly refined person, a disgrace."

The change is to 42 and that hexagram covers issues of augmentation and so changes in levels - here the focus being on operating from the seeing level but not reaching into the comprehension level.

From the XOR perspective, this line position maps to 24-ness and so covers what 20 keeps coming back to, starts with - the 24-ness of 20 is 42 as the analogy to 'beginning'. Thus removing the negative emotion element, the first step in 20 is to see, to make the distinction, to 'lift the eyes' as part of the process of augmentation that leads to the development of admiration of a particular etc.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

When I've just read 20 I've thought kings visiting the regions and contemplating and giving instruction as being similar to teachers giving new students a placement test, to see what they knew and then putting the students in a class to be given the instruction that was missing. Now that we are "living" this hexagram, however, I'm seeing it as meaning that when the kings "contemplated the people" they were looking to see what the people were trying to do and then sought to see if there was a way they could be helped. So rather than trying to train the people to be good subjects, a sence of how can we further people in what they are trying to do already?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast