...life can be translucent

Menu

A begginner's question: What is the ''Yi''

kaliman

visitor
Reaction score
I've entered on this site coz I'm interested on I ching, I've practiced with the oracle during more than 1 year, and it has been a great experience, wich I want 2 share with people that is open 2 it.
Oviusly I'm not as introduced 2 the practice as u r, so I'm open 2 learn new things about it and other aspects of spiritual well been.
I'll be happy 2 interchange some acnowledgement with u people.

See ya.
Good luck.

bradford_h

(deceased)
Reaction score
Yi or Yijing is the new official way to spell "I Ching"
Zhouyi is the new way to spell "Chou I"
Ba Gua """" Pa Kua
Qian """" Ch'ien
Beijing """" Peiking
This new way of spelling is called Pinyin
The old way is called Wade-Giles

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
What he said. 'Yi' literally means Change.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I think instead of calling it the Zhou oracle, we should call it the Joe Oracle.

Westernize it a bit. Bring it up to speed.

J

jesed

Hi Dobro

I am not sure about "westernize" Yi Jing; what about "easternize" wester people's aproach? Just to go against traditional selfinesh of western culture
happy.gif

void

visitor
Reaction score
How would you 'easternise western people's selfish approach' ?

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I am not sure about "westernize" Yi Jing; what about "easternize" wester people's aproach?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I hear Dobro saying the same thing... in a rather sardonic/sarcastic way though.

Yes, I so often watch people on this forum trying to bend what the Yi and daodejing say to fit within their Christian-based thinking rather than try to get into the speakers' minds. Even people who believe they're 'free of Christianity's bonds' do it. Even I do it. It has to do with what we heard during our formative years.

The thing I have a problem with is packaging up 'Western' thinking and putting it in one box and packaging up 'Eastern' thinking and putting it in another. As a Westerner I can say there really isn't 'A' Western way of thinking. There are billions of Western ways of thinking. And I've noticed that the Eastern thinkers I know are unique as well.

Additionally, I don't believe the Eastern 'thinker' 3,000 years ago is any more like the Eastern 'thinker' today than like the Western 'thinker' today or 3,000 years ago.

Love, Val

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).