...life can be translucent

Menu

64.5>6 seems contradictory

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a take on how 64.5, seemingly such a bright omen, and how it morphs into the gloomy 6? Sometimes in lines like this I tend to read it as: 64.5 will take you through the time of 6, rather than it being an outcome. How do you see it?

Miakoda

B

bruce_g

Consider the fan yao of 6.5: the one who can coordinate position and utilize intelligence to determine a correct course, then compare that alongside the clear vision of 64.5.

L

lightofreason

miakoda said:
Anyone have a take on how 64.5, seemingly such a bright omen, and how it morphs into the gloomy 6? Sometimes in lines like this I tend to read it as: 64.5 will take you through the time of 6, rather than it being an outcome. How do you see it?

Miakoda

No hexagrams reflect positive/negative states as part of their universal form; positive/negative interpretations reflect the colouring of a universal by local context, be it the interpreter or an emotional event.

Thus there is nothing 'gloomy' about 6, it covers both positive and negative perspectives - the issue is probably due interpretations as a competitive hexagram.

The 64 to 06 mapping reads "with/through remaining open (NOT completing) comes compromise"

The 64.5 line comment:

Line 5 -
"Testing but favourable times without remorse. One is shining - Favorably balanced."

Note the focus on being 'favourably balanced' and 'testing but favourable' - all properties reflected in compromise with a subtle positive bias in the interpretation - but I can also interpret this negative in that 64 also covers making mistakes and so I can have:

with/from mis-sequencing, not getting it 'right', comes conflict.

U

unsubscribed_cm

Well line 5 in hexagram 64 is saying that your situation has risen from chaos into order.
So here is a situation in where the new era appears all the more glorious by contrast with the misery of the old. So thus your relationship is one of conflict between that the misiry of the old and the arrival of the new.

The victory of the end of the conflict, is indeed a victory, but nontheless a conflict, and since it is ending you have here the last remarks of victory of this conflict with "Before completion" and changing line 5 - meaning your relating to a conflict.

So really is hand and glove.

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing the end of conflict, etc. as part of the experience adds meaning. And then of course, there's the fan yao! Forgot all about that wonderful method. Duh.

It looks like 64.5 is kind of a cousin of 46.3--ascending into an empty capital, no barriers to progress.

Thanks, everyone. You brightened my understanding of that line.

Miakoda

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
miakoda said:
It looks like 64.5 is kind of a cousin of 46.3--ascending into an empty capital, no barriers to progress.

Miakoda

Just wondering why you see 46,3 as the cousin of 64,5 ? Is is one of those step/transition things or some other method or do you just see a similarity ?

Asking because I find 46,3 mostly an 'inauspicious' line. I've never found it to be an omen of great success. Theres no barriers cos theres nothing there but emptiness - or one is heading into nothing. I don't see it as an all clear to progress, but progress without a point.

miakoda

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojan:

Yes, the two lines look like cousins, but not siblings, because they're both describing a kind of unimpeded progress, but one is more positive than the other. I really agree about 46.3. Whenever I've ascended into the empty capital, I've always been dismayed to find that nobody's home.

I've seen a similar pairing in 64.4 and 63.3, but although I've gotten them both about the same situation a gabillion times, I don't have any true experience yet as to what the difference between them is. I sometimes wonder if those two are in the Yi Jing not to describe different experiences but as synonyms to be used in transitional hexagrams, to expand the Yi's vocabulary. I really feel like I'm learning a foreign language when I study the Yi Jing, but my level is like what David Sedaris wrote about his French: Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Miakoda

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
miakoda said:
I've seen a similar pairing in 64.4 and 63.3, but although I've gotten them both about the same situation a gabillion times, I don't have any true experience yet as to what the difference between them is.
Miakoda

yes me neither :D

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).