...life can be translucent

Menu

What are the meanings of the directions mentioned in hexagrams?

august moon

visitor
Reaction score
For instance, "going south" or "in the southwest" or northeast, etc? Are these metaphors for particular places or spheres of life or what? Or need they be put in historical/geographic perspective?

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
One possible interpretation (there are others that apply) that I use quite often is associating the directions to the position of the trigrams in the Ba Gua. Take a look at the Eight Wing, "Discussion of the Trigrams", in the Wilhelm book or here.

Luis

getojack

visitor
Reaction score
That's a great question. I have no idea. I do remember reading in Alfred Huang's translation about it having something to do with Feng Shui, but it wasn't explained in detail.

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
Yes, commentators often associate the Yi's directions with the Latter Heaven arrangement of trigrams. In that arrangement, Kun is in the Southwest. Kun has a meaning of "assembly, multitude." which fits with having a group of friends in the Southwest. Yin tends to clump together, which reinforces being with one's own kind under Kun. According to the trigram arrangement, it's seasonal too. In those lazy days of late Summer, you have your sunbathing (fair weather) companions.
Why do you lose friends in the Northeast? Northeast is the position of Gen (Mountain) in the Latter Day trigram arrangement. Gen has been traditionally described as a doorway. It is a doorway between the chill/death of winter in the north, and the new life of spring in the east. Mountain has been referred to as a portal between the world of the dead and that of the living. Many traditional temples to the dead, wherever they were located in China, were branch temples linked to Dongyue Miao, a temple complex at Daizong Mountain in the Northeast of China! The Northeast is a place and season of ordeals and difficult passage to a new life. You have to undergo that sort of challenge alone. You have to part with your friends.
The rain in the West, or the clouds building up in the west...hmmm! Commentators often say that rainfall represents a harmonizing of yin and yang. The joy of Dui/Marsh in the West fits with that kind of fulfillment. Hexagram #9 has an internal Dui trigram, and there is a Dui trigram in #38 (which mentions rain and reconciliation).
The expedition to the South in #35, to me, seems related to that hexagram's fire trigram. The fire trigram in the south has become a part of sacred geometry. The position of a ruler is to sit at the north and face south.
The threats of death and isolation in #29 take you to symbolic north, if not to geographic north.
Regards,

Denis M.

getojack

visitor
Reaction score
The rain in the West, or the clouds building up in the west...hmmm! Commentators often say that rainfall represents a harmonizing of yin and yang. The joy of Dui/Marsh in the West fits with that kind of fulfillment.

But it says 'Dense clouds and no rain coming from your western region.' Unless you mean that because the Dui trigram is internal and not external, there is no rain?

Hexagram #9 has an internal Dui trigram, and there is a Dui trigram in #38 (which mentions rain and reconciliation).

You forgot 62.5 which also mentions dense clouds and no rain coming from your western region. Hexagram 9 is Nurture of the Small and Dui is the lower internal trigram there, while in Hexagram 62 (Predominance of the Small), Dui is the upper internal trigram, which makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You should be aware that there is a search engine where where you can look first to see if a topic has been discussed before. It would work a lot better though if folks would follow your lead and title the threads more informatively, instead of something stupid and useless like "help me with this" or "relationship problem".
I made this comment in an old thread "directions in hexagrams":

I have been unable to make sense of any of the eight directions in terms of either of the two Bagua or Trigram arrangements, but other translators try to interpret in these terms. Only some of the eight are used in the Zhouyi.
SW and NE had some local cultural meanings in the direction of friendly vs. hostile neighbors and climates, respectively. West, as (I think) everywhere north of the equator, is simply the direction from which most prevailing weather comes. South was the direction the sovereign faced when giving commands, so going or facing south meant assuming a bolder attitude. East and West (the neighbors in 63.5) refer to places relative to the time, early or late, which I try to account for in my commentary.

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
... East and West (the neighbors in 63.5) refer to places relative to the time, early or late, which I try to account for in my commentary..

I like this interpretation of East relative to West. The neighbors on the East try hard, but the West's simple offering means more. You relate this to time of day, which makes sense: an offering done by one with richer experience means more.
One could also relate this to the Latter Heaven trigram arrangement. Dui (in the West) is fruition and joyful giving, so it fits well with offering things up. Zhen in the East is impulsive, which is not a good state of mind to make offerings in.

The valuation of West over East reminds me of the legendary beauty Xi-Shi in the Spring and Autumn period. She has the word Xi (west) in her name. From humble beginnings, she rose to be the consort of the Yue ruler. A woman in the neighborhood tried to imitate Xi-Shi's soulful expression, which only made her plain face look worse. This earned her the nickname "Dong-shi." There is a classical expression: "Dong1-Shi1 xiao4 pin2" [Dongshi imitates the pout].
Interesting to see a valuation of West over East in this story too, and it's between neighbors.

Regards,

Denis M.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Denis-
I didn't realize you were lurking here. Still in China?
[btw, all the revisions finally get posted tonight]

I liked your note on 06 that the river waters around the
Early Zhou capital flowed eastward while the stars
and planets moved westward.

Also forgot to mention that South is the logical direction to go
for a winter hunt if you want to follow the game migrations.
Hence, possibly, an opportunistic move at both 46 and 36.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I've always assumed that for a country as far north of the equator as China, south is a pretty auspicious direction - the sun's not a killer that far north, it's the source of light and heat and growth.

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
Hey Denis-
I didn't realize you were lurking here. Still in China?
[btw, all the revisions finally get posted tonight]...
...Also forgot to mention that South is the logical direction to go
for a winter hunt if you want to follow the game migrations.
Hence, possibly, an opportunistic move at both 46 and 36.

Hello Brad. I came back to Seattle for a few months; am preparing to make a longer trip to China soon. Will spend some time in Nanjing and Chengdu. Congratulations on getting the new version up.

....dobro wrote:
....I've always assumed that for a country as far north of the equator as China, south
....is a pretty auspicious direction - the sun's not a killer that far north, it's the source
.... of light and heat and growth.

Yes, Dobro, that's the feel I get for "south" in #46. This hexagram makes me think of a plant sprout: it is pushing upward guided by its tropism for sunlight and warmth. Here the sprout is better rooted, and conditions for growth are better than in #3.

In some hexagrams the directional symbolism comes with the relevant trigram (like friends in the Southwest in #2). Here the direction just gives an atmosphere. However, Kun and Xun trigrams are both neighbors of Fire in the South: this suggests that sunlight is suffusing the sprout in the soil, so it's a good time for growth.

Regards,

DM

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I think of the building up of clouds in the West in Hexagram 9 as Wen's preparations, making his people gradually fit to receive a mandate. I'm helped along in this by finding his name in the Image.

The insights in this thread remind me that I should back up the forum more often. :)

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
I think of the building up of clouds in the West in Hexagram 9 as Wen's preparations...I'm helped along in this by finding his name in the Image.

Yes, the superior man improves his "civil"[wen2] virtue! I missed that. Thanks for thinking of backup.

Mentioning the warm qualities implied by the "southern" trigrams in #45 makes me think of #20. The trigrams of #20 also bracket the fire trigram, and sure enough we find Li's clear vision in Viewing. The courtier views the splendors of the land: this has the Li trigram's light, and its cultural attractions as well.

The two trigrams of #26, Gen and Qian, bracket Water in the north. And #26 seems somewhat wintery to me. The man who has lived through a great deal may easily feel a chill. Looking back and summing up the lessons is a grave business. Also, #33 seems to feel a chilling effect of the world's ways, which is why he turns away from it. Wang Fuzhi says that #33 "steps off into emptiness."

Regards,

Denis M.

B

bruce_g

Interesting stuff. Thanks to Denis for spelling it out so clearly. Might make a good "sticky", for future reference.

Brad, I think that's a great suggestion, r.e. reference-able thread titles.

(the rest deleted cuz it sounds insane)

Last edited:
B

bruce_g

And when did this become a reason for deleting things? I missed the memo.

LOL! Good point.

It's just that this sort of thread, and those who contribute, deserve respect by staying focused on topic. While I obviously identify with Yi mostly through personal parallels, I realize it's a bit vain and trite to talk about it with others.

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Nah - often the most personal stuff is the closest to true. I've never seen you try to put yourself above others, that might be vain and trite. Seeing how Yi fits with your personal stuff shows others how to do the same with theirs. Isn't that one of the reasons we are here? Not that such is required at all....

B

bruce_g

Nah - often the most personal stuff is the closest to true. I've never seen you try to put yourself above others, that might be vain and trite. Seeing how Yi fits with your personal stuff shows others how to do the same with theirs. Isn't that one of the reasons we are here? Not that such is required at all....

Okay, but rectangular UFO patterns over the western mountain and shamans flying in circular formation over the eastern is a little over the top... even for here. laughing...

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, but rectangular UFO patterns over the western mountain and shamans flying in circular formation over the eastern is a little over the top... even for here. laughing...

Hmmmm, I think you watched way too many Kung Fu movies in the 70's... I don't remember seeing those in the "Secret of the Golden Flower"... :D

L

Last edited:

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score

Not at all. I'm glad I glimpsed Bruce's post before it was pared down. I think the Yi, on some level, touches on the adventures of spirit entities as they move through the world. I see it in #24.1, and #45.6, and other places. The "Great Treatise" I.4 talks about spirit-entities (jing-qi and you-hun) in two different phases of their existence.
Direction is a consideration if spirit-entities are moving in and through our world. Direction gives a clue to their way of approach, or their particular relation to one who senses them. Like a rainbow: we see the colored patterns as if in a certain place.
The spiritual teacher Li Yuchieh (1900-1994), when I knew him in Taiwan, used to talk about his time on Mt. Hua. He said that on several occasions, usually midsummer nights, he saw globes of light cavorting over a nearby ridge. Another teacher named Yuan Miao (currently in L.A.) wrote in her autobiography about witnessing globes of light moving around her house and perching on the roof. The encounter was profoundly moving to her, and it influenced the subsequent direction of her life. (She left China and became a yoga teacher.)
Long-term practitioners of the Yi have intuitions that we cannot discount out of hand.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm glad I glimpsed Bruce's post before it was pared down. I think the Yi, on some level, touches on the adventures of spirit entities as they engage with the structure of reality and move through the world. I see it in #24.1, and #45.6, and other places. The "Great Treatise" I.4 talks about spirit-entities (jing-qi and you-hun) in two different phases of their existence.
Direction is a consideration if spirit-entities are moving in and through our world. Direction gives a clue to their way of approach, or their particular relation to one who senses them. Like a rainbow: we see the colored patterns as if in a certain place.
The spiritual teacher Li Yuchieh (1900-1994), when I knew him in Taiwan, used to talk about his time on Mt. Hua. He said that on several occasions, usually midsummer nights, he saw globes of light cavorting over a nearby ridge. Another teacher named Yuan Miao (currently in L.A.) wrote in her autobiography about witnessing globes of light moving around her house and perching on the roof. The encounter was profoundly moving to her, and it influenced the subsequent direction of her life. (She left China and became a yoga teacher.)
Long-term practitioners of the Yi have intuitions that we cannot discount out of hand.

Thanks, Dennis. That was a great account. I do love your site, BTW. You have great insights into the Yi.

Luis

B

bruce_g

Not at all. I'm glad I glimpsed Bruce's post before it was pared down. I think the Yi, on some level, touches on the adventures of spirit entities as they engage with the structure of reality and move through the world. I see it in #24.1, and #45.6, and other places. The "Great Treatise" I.4 talks about spirit-entities (jing-qi and you-hun) in two different phases of their existence.

Thanks, Denis.

Would you elaborate more on where you see this in 24.1?

Midsummer nights is indeed when they appeared. While the circular formation of shamans over castle rock may have been a product of rich imagination, the changing formation of lights over the western mountain could have been seen by anyone who cared to wait patiently; as could the huge, low flying jet-prop driven Airforce plane, which went in pursuit of them, shortly after their appearance. The funny thing was, the property owner calmly predicted "the Airforce will be showing up soon," and sure enough. These were no ordinary human driven craft, or at least nothing we civilians have much clue about. And this was only one occurrence of many I witnessed while living there.

Here, only a few miles across the valley, there's a whole other set of dynamics at play. And I think "play" is a good word for it. Powerful place, this.

castle rock moon rising
View attachment 218

B

bruce_g

Top of castle rock. This is where a young visitor (son of my oldest friend), seeking to rid his heroin addiction, went this past summer to ceremonially bury his heroin paraphernalia. While the caves have long since been stripped of Indian artifacts, the energy is still present. He's been clean for 9 months, and his life has since taken many fortunate turns. Most importantly, he's returned to himself. Perhaps this is what you meant by 24.1?

View attachment 219

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Cool rock.
But kicking junk is not 24.1
That's 24.5, almost up there with cigarettes.

B

bruce_g

Cool rock.
But kicking junk is not 24.1
That's 24.5, almost up there with cigarettes.

Well, if we're down to it, I'd say kicking smack, at least in this case, was more like 40.6. And, I've never seen anyone empty their parent's savings and hock their jewelry over a pack of smokes.

(edit)

Ya know, I just recalled; mountain goat (name I have him while he was here) did receive 40.6, the night before he made his trek up that mountain. He already had the desire to change, and at least to some extent, faith that he would be changed. That's why he brought the paraphernalia with him on the trip out here - to bury it. He just didn't know when or where until the night before. I told him he was nuts to walk it (under the 115 degree afternoon sun) without a hat, and just one bottle of water, but he was determined to do it his way (hence the name mountain goat). On the way back down, he had to stop and rest in the shadows of whatever ever rocks and brush he could find. When he reached the bottom, an old woman saw him and gave him two bottles of spring water. Clearly, the gods were supporting him.

When we read of such things from ancient times, especially from revered masters, we are filled with awe and belief. But when they happen in these modern times, they are so easily dismissed as mere fantasy or coincidence. That's why I deleted my early comments. I dunno. Maybe it's best to leave some things unsaid.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
When we read of such things from ancient times, especially from revered masters, we are filled with awe and belief. But when they happen in these modern times, they are so easily dismissed as mere fantasy or coincidence. That's why I deleted my early comments. I dunno. Maybe it's best to leave some things unsaid.

Darn, Bruce! I wish you hadn't deleted your first post. Indeed, I was making light of the second one with the shamans because I thought you were kidding around. I certainly believe your account as experienced. Next time, first impulses are the best. I would love to read more of that.

L

PD: forgot to ask, is that drawing yours? Nice one!

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, Luis. It's a photo from my backyard. I played around with it in Paintshop Pro, but the mountain and moon is real. Here's the original untouched image:

Well done, Bruce! Amazing angle for a moonrise. Geeze, my camera gear and I owe you a visit in Arizona. How far away from the rock formation are you? Magical place, indeed.

L

B

bruce_g

Well done, Bruce! Amazing angle for a moonrise. Geeze, my camera gear and I owe you a visit in Arizona. How far away from the rock formation are you? Magical place, indeed.

L

Luis, you're always welcomed here, as I've said before.

How far.. as the crow flies, probably no more than 2 miles. On foot, more like 4 miles. I've never made the climb, nor at this stage would I care to try. In the opposite direction, in front of the house, is the valley and black mountain, and all my sunset images are shot there. They're especially dramatic during summer, after the thunder storms. You'd enjoy it, I think. Magical, yes, quite.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).