...life can be translucent

Menu

I asked: What is this relationship about? 31 changing to 24

A

ada

It sounds very good to me but I would love to hear anyone's ideas..

A

ada

So, this is not a very interesting question or a very interesting answer?

Well, it just baffles me that the two hexagrams seem so positive but the moving lines are not particularly good. In fact, that is strange about hex 31. The hex seems positive but the moving lines are.. blah!

What do you think?

P

peace

Could it be that you're returning to a well-known cycle of yours and that's what's attracting you to this person - history repeating itself??

Good luck,
Rosalie

A

ada

That sounds interesting.. I will have to think about that. The more I think about it, though, the more it seems to me that this could be the case in every attraction, no? Does it make it more or less real? More or less valuable or successful? Or is the answer just that: redundant?

frank

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ada,

31 is about influence others and 24 is about returning to your inner self (by NOT influence others...:-D) Perhaps this is just a signal to stay where and who you are before you do things because you want to have influence and control over the situation. One of my own?s greatest learningpoints I still have to figure out and grow into is that you have to stand insite of yourself in trust (24) before you start to influence by acting (31), as your way of being is the influence in a more subbtle way already :-D!

Makes this some sense?

Hang in there,

Hug.
Frank

A

ada

Frank, I like your interpretation. It does make sense.
Two interpretations. I like both. They both make sense.
Probably the are both right. Maybe there are more interpretations that can be right?

A

ada

Does anybody have an opinion of why 31 seems so positive but the lines don't?

B

bruce

Because it's a "changing" line. It's not uncommon for a line to reflect a changing tendency in the opposite direction.

ithaki

visitor
Reaction score
That is very interesting, Bruce. I have never looked at changing lines from that perspective. Would you care to elaborate?

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Ada...

I don't see 31 as necessarily positive. It's about influencing a situation. That influence can be positive or negative. When it's a conscious attempt to control a situation subliminally, you can pretty much count on it being a negative influence.

Love,

Val

cal val

visitor
Reaction score
Ada...

24 is also about returning to the correct path, returning from a mistake.

I really relate to Frank's interpretation. If I were to get 31 to 24, I personally wouldn't bother with the changing lines... there are too many. I'd look at what the hexagrams are saying overall, and then look to the lines for possibly more insight into the answer and only take what jumps out at me.

If I got these 2 hexagrams, my initial reaction would be that the Yi is telling me I'm trying to control a situation, but I haven't gone far enough to do any serious damage, and if I stop now, the situation will return to normal. I also might have to apologize for my attempt in order to return it to normal. I've had the experience where an apology was necessary for 24.

Love,

Val

frank

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Ada,

There is a way of 'reading' the I Ching by taking every changing line, in this case the lines 1,3,4 & 5 as Yang (as they are 'active' and change). Stephen Karcher names it as the "Outer Operator", but already years ago dutch I Ching users saw this interpretation as the "Confrontation". By getting the lines 1,3,4 & 5 yang you get hexagram 49... You are being ' confronted' with a total new aproach of this situation then you normaly would do... That's why the Yi is also telling to back of for controlling the whole thing (as you probably would love to do :-D) and go back to your own things in live... Because also you have 4 changing lines, I say there's way to much emotion involved to even get the idea that you can control it (because the emotions do, and NOT YOU :-D). The Yi then actually is telling me that you should get back to your inner self to RELAX, NOT to break off, but let the control go... Then ' the other one' could be less scared and puts in his or her own ideas, as he or she has the right to do that as well :-D. So, do not be afraid of losing by letting go the control... Let others handle it :-D!

Hang in there!

Hug.
Frank

frank

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe it's a bit like a saying I thought of:

"it's not always necesary (O my english :-D) to take a step by foot, to go to a next move..."

A

ada

Some of this made sense, but I don't really see how apologizing might fit in this situation. I didn't ask what I need to do, I just wanted to know if this was a superficial relationship or not. A lasting friendship or a flash in the pan.

I am not really trying to take control of anything or anybody (!), I certainly have not been so overbearing that I need to apologize.
But I did like what Frank said about being myself. I think it was insightful. And good advice in any situation.

If I look at the two hexagrams, without the lines, what they tell me is that this is a mutual influence relationship and I think that is true. Looking back a little, 24 tells me it's a good influence, one that that, at least on this side, speaks to my true self. I like that.
So, that's my interpretation. Revised. I enjoyed reading what everybody had to say. And I would enjoy any others. I like to see different points of view. I learn from that.

B

bruce

Ducking and weaving through the busy thread posts. Ithaki, hello. A good example is hex. 55. The hex. reads like one big victory, but at least three lines pose a darker image. A line which changes changes into it's opposite: yin to yang, yang to yin. It's natural then for a seemingly positive hexagram to have some opposing or challenging lines.

I also agree with Val on 31 not necessarily being all hearts and flowers. LiSe refers to Snow White's apple; a very apt description of 31's darker potential.

A

ada

Well, I am scared now. I understand that 31 does not always mean something good. But, a poisoned apple?? I wonder if I should reconsider the whole thing! I wasn't anxious before but now I am.
Could it be the other person is trying to poison me???

I asked clarification and I got 4 turning into 47.
I don't know what to make of this. Please help!!!

B

bruce

Ada, the Book was never intended to make our minds up for us, as far as I could discern. Don't enclose yourself in a tree to protect yourself. Trust your instincts and better judgment. 31 is merely a picture of two young people (Ken and Tui) of opposite sex who are experiencing a bit of birds-n-bees chemistry between them. I wouldn't try to draw such final conclusions from your reading. Enjoy the dance but watch your step.

A

ada

Thank you Bruce!
Maybe I was exaggerating a little bit. I'm not really all that alarmed. But I guess you are right! I will trust my instincts. And I will watch my step.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).