...life can be translucent

Menu

Beginner question

triple3

visitor
Reaction score
First of all, I'll like to say hello to everyone in this board. Great to have all the regulars around to shine the light on the Yijing consultation to people who are lost. :)

I have a question with regards to the interpretation. Say if I do a divination and got the results

18 - Work on what has been soiled [Decay] with a changing yang at line 6 resulting in
46 - Pushing upward

Do I read the entire page for hexagram 18 and then move on to just line 6 for hexagram 46?

What happens if there is no changing line? read the everything from Judgement, Image and all the lines?

I actually consulted the Yijing on what the situation will be if I proceed on in a courship of a girl.

Thanks for reading. :)

PS Please be gentle with me, I'm really slower than a turtle when it comes to learning something.

Frankelmick

visitor
Reaction score
Triple3,

Welcome to Clarity :~)

I'd read the Judgement and Image for Hx 18 and then look very closely at the changing line for Hx 18 which Wilhelm gives as:

"He does not serve kings and princes,
Sets himself higher goals."

How do you think that this might apply to you?

Then look at the Judgement and Image for the resulting Hx 46.

"...Fear not..." :~)

- - -

If there are no changing lines, I'd just look at the Judgement and the Image.

I hope that this is useful to you. Please take your time and be patient with yourself.

Best wishes,

Mick

thedave

visitor
Reaction score
First of all, I'll like to say hello to everyone in this board. Great to have all the regulars around to shine the light on the Yijing consultation to people who are lost. :)

I have a question with regards to the interpretation. Say if I do a divination and got the results

18 - Work on what has been soiled [Decay] with a changing yang at line 6 resulting in
46 - Pushing upward

Do I read the entire page for hexagram 18 and then move on to just line 6 for hexagram 46?

What happens if there is no changing line? read the everything from Judgement, Image and all the lines?

I actually consulted the Yijing on what the situation will be if I proceed on in a courship of a girl.

Thanks for reading. :)

PS Please be gentle with me, I'm really slower than a turtle when it comes to learning something.

Hi and welcome!

First of all, when you throw the coins be sure to start at the bottom when you write down the hexagram. The first line is the bottom line, then you work your way up. I didn't know that when I first started, so forgive me if you already know that. :p

For 18 - 6 changing into to 46 you would read 18, and then only the changing line six. The changing lines refer to the first Hex. Then you would read the begining part of Hex 46. Don't read any of the lines of Hex 46.

If you get a hex with no changing lines, just read the beginning of the Hex. Dont read any of the lines.

triple3

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks mick and thedave for the insight.

Just to be sure that I'm going to be in the right path. Irregardless of what the result may be, a hex with changing or unchanging line, I should read both the judgement and the image followed y the corresponding line of change and does not read every line for the primary or secondary hex.

Is this correct?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
You received the answer hex 18.6 > 46.

Therefore, you go straight and read line 6 of hex 18 and then the judgement and image of hex 46. You did not receive hex 18 as an answer so you don't read the judgement or image of hex 18 in this case.

If your answer had been hex 18 with no changing lines then you would read the judgement and image only of hex 18.

B

bruce_g

Hi Triple,

I'd go with Mick's and Dave's answers. There are lots of alternative methods, such as WF's, but M and D's method is the standard.

triple3

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Cleared up a lot of confusion and uncertainty for me.

Once again, thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).