...life can be translucent

Menu

10 and a Question of Death

patty123

visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am seeking help in understanding this.

My dearest love, the love that defined my life just passed away, April 12, 2007 after a brief, painful and devasting illness, he left too fast. For the last three years we lived apart but were in constant communication, however he never let me know if he was feeling so ill, maybe he knew? As much as it hurts, I did not get to see him, to say good bye. When I arrived he had just passed away.

Tonight I asked IC where is he?, where did his light go? is he well on route to the Supreme Light? and I got hexagram 10, no changes.

Please help me understand..

Patti

B

bruce_g

I'm very sorry for your loss, Patti.

10 leaves a lot of room for different interpretations to your reading, so I hope you don't intend to find a one definitive answer here for this.

While it can be addressed regarding your loved one's current trek, I'm inclined to offer a more practical suggestion, albeit it simplistic. I think there are some places we're not supposed to trespass with determination. To ponder it is natural, to force a determination invites unrest.

LiSe's translation for 10 includes "He gives the ambitions of the people the suitable position". That's what I'd seek in your circumstance, a suitable position on the matter. That may include whatever faith or belief system the two of you shared, or the one which gives you a peace about it.

Again, my condolences. :bows:

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Tonight I asked IC where is he?, where did his light go? is he well on route to the Supreme Light? and I got hexagram 10, no changes.

Hi Patty - sorry about the loss you're dealing with - sometimes that sort of thing can help you to see things more clearly, and sometimes it makes it harder to see things clearly. Anyway, I see two possibilities in your I Ching consultation.

1 If the Yi answered your question directly, it might mean something like this: since Hex 10 is all about careful conduct so that you don't get hurt, then the person you're enquiring about is now conducting himself very carefully and circumspectly in whatever realm he's in, which is a good thing, cuz if he does that he won't get hurt, plus he'll experience some real gains.

2 It's also possible that the Yi is addressing you and your needs rather than the question you asked. It's a possibility because for one thing, in the question you asked, you seem to already have answered your own question with your belief that he's 'well on the route to the Supreme Light'. For another thing, it's my belief that the reason the gulf between the living and the dead is so vast and generally impassable is for a very good reason - we don't need to know. Why not? Well, our job down here is, for the time being, all about life, not death. And then too, we'll all get there soon enough anyway and then you'll know everything you need to know about that state. So if that's the case, then the Yi is saying to you something like: "Tread carefully now, so that you don't get hurt. You can even learn something from this that will mean a genuine change of being for you. You've lost someone dear to you, and it's going to take some skill to make sure it doesn't hurt you more than it has to. Conduct yourself with a degree of caution - this situation deserves the utmost respect."

It's my hunch that the second possibility that I outlined is the one for you.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
"Tonight I asked IC where is he?, where did his light go? is he well on route to the Supreme Light? and I got hexagram 10, no changes."

Hex 10 is about this man walking on the Earth and his conduct has been good. "The yielding(man) treads upon the firm(Earth) and it does not bite him, he then treads upon the place of the ruler and remains without blame, his light shines brightly" (Wilhelm).
So if you believe in something bigger, then this is saying that he has passed to another realm and has been found free of 'sin', and that his essence continues to live on.
In this hex, heaven is above and water(Earth) is below but the creatures of Earth are forever ascending to heaven(the stars?), the movement is up and away. The lower trigram, Tui, also means joy, so one will find joy by ascending to heaven, to be free of one's mortal life on Earth.
Energy(spirit) cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed into another form of matter, so if you follow this, the person's spirit lives on but in another form, hex 10 speaks of 'light' and light is just another form of energy.

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Patty, I am very sorry about your loss and wish you peace

I called this hexagram "The footprints of the ancestors". There are several reasons for this name.

The character LU, the name of this hexagram, includes a picture of a deceased person, or the one who represents the deceased one at the funeral, as was the usage in China.

Ancestors are all people who died before us, who are 'over there'.

There is also a boat, which is a way to write "shoe".. In many cultures a boat is a symbol of passing to the other world.

In the top line the deceased person is giving a sign. He comes to the altar which has been made for him.

I have a page of Wieger on my website, here: http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/books/wieger-foot.htm

What I see, is that your question has been heard. "Is he well on route to the Supreme Light?", I think it is a clear yes.

LiSe

patty123

visitor
Reaction score
Thank yo so very much to all of you.

I feel he is at peace with himself, and that he is well, maybe somehow worried for me, but in my mind I see him walking carefully around some nice looking flower beds. Yes, I do! He was just 56 yrs old...............

Me? I just patiently await for some comfort to my heart!

thank you for your words and for sharing your insightfullness with me.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).