...life can be translucent

Menu

Changing Lines

wealth

visitor
Reaction score
I know there may be a few ways of working with changing lines. Can people please explain how they work with the changing lines.

Different methods would also be appriciated.

:)

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I know there may be a few ways of working with changing lines. Can people please explain how they work with the changing lines.
Different methods would also be appriciated. :)

Why don't you try narrowing that topic down? That's like asking "How do you use the Yijing?"
Have you looked through recent posts? It's been a running topic. Also, the Wilhelm, Huang, Blofeld, Legge, and Lynn translations, all the more reputable ones, will all tell you just about all a beginner needs to know. I wouldn't get too complicated too fast.

But, in a nutshell, think of a changing line as a stepping stone between the starting hexagram and the changed hexagram. Imagine a meaning partway between the two.

B

bruce_g

Are impressionist impressions (?) welcomed?

Your palm is the hexagram, the lines are the lines.

B

bruce_g

Hi Wealth,

Pardon the silly stuff, but Brad is right; it’s a broad question to try and answer in a single post.

There are several methods of determining change line priority and usage. In general, lines can be seen as specific details within the general meaning of the hexagram. There are some elaborate methods of eliminating certain lines so as to avoid what appears to be contradictions within multiple lines. I don’t use them. I let all of them speak to me in a conversational way. When someone explains something to you they will sometimes say things which appear to contradict, but if you consider the context, there is no contradiction, only different aspects of the same thing to consider. I place equal focus and priority on the primary hex, change lines and relating/resulting hex.

Once you consider the primary hex, then it’s like saying “What about it?” The lines answer “This is what about it.” Some say the lines take priority over the hexagram, because the devil’s in the details, but lines still operate within the context of that particular hexagram.

This help?

View attachment 254

crystal_blue

visitor
Reaction score
Draw a Hexagram - draw another. The lines that need to be changed in the first to produce the second are thus the changing lines, which indicate ways in which such a transition occurs.

ewald

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Wealth,
I suppose you want to know about how to deal with single and multiple changing lines, what to consider and what not. I work with this scheme:

No changing lines
Consider the hexagram text (judgment) of the hexagram.
1 changing line
Consider the line text of the changing line.
2 or 3 changing lines
Consider the line texts and also the hexagram text (judgment) of the resulting hexagram.
4, 5 or 6 changing lines
Consider the hexagram texts (judgments) of the base and resulting hexagrams. (Lines will often be conflicting, and don't seem to bear a lot of meaning.)
For hexagram 1 or 2, when all lines change
Consider the special text for this situation.​

wealth

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help peps, I was unsure when posted the question how big the question really was!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).