Reaction score
What do you know ?
What dont you know ?
What do you want to know ?

Confucius

confucius

visitor
Reaction score
How do you know that you know what you need to know and, if so, is it not true that to know something is of no use if others dont know you know it ? Furthermore, if you know what you need to know, what seeks you here ?

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
How do you know that you know what you need to know and, if so, is it not true that to know something is of no use if others dont know you know it ? Furthermore, if you know what you need to know, what seeks you here ?

I don't need to know much actually. I need to know only what's necessary to increase my understanding so that my efforts will actually bear fruit. See, my life consists primarily of the things I know and the things I do. If I try to do too much, or if I try to do something which is not appropriate to me, or if I try to do something which I'm not ready for, or if I neglect to do the thing that I really need to do in order to achieve a real gain, then my effort is wasted. But if I know exactly how much to do, and if I know the thing to do which is appropriate to me, and if I know the thing to do that I'm ready and qualified and ripe to do, and if I know the things that really need doing in my life, then my efforts are bound to succeed. If I make the effort, that is.

As for others needing to know what I know - no, I disagree. Others need to know what *they* need to know for their own understanding and efforts and growth; I need to know what *I* need to know for mine; sometimes those things overlap in big general areas, but in terms of the day-to-day details of actually getting things done, they're almost always completely different.

What I seek here is the opportunity to exchange ideas with other people who are interested in the Yi, because sometimes by expressing my ideas to others, I understand myself better (58). And sometimes somebody here says something that helps me to understand something better (27). Plus I enjoy exchanging with people who are interested in what I'm interested in (13).

Okay, I've answered your questions twice.

Why do you ask?

confucius

visitor
Reaction score
Please do not be offended...

Your answer is perfect...in this case perfection is exactly what should have been answered...literally...word for word...now people know what you claim to know, and being here is because you are looking for perspectives in order to position yourself...
...let me use myself as an example, that will be a perspective.

Over the past 15 years, I have read 93 versions of the Yi, in seven different languages and, as you have guessed, though the source be the same, all metaphores are culturally adapted (the Chinese Dragon carries water, whilst the European Dragon spits fire), how to relate with these two opposites ?

Still, both sinologists know, they know what they need to know to accomplish their task and objectives...but what do they know?

Both are right, of course, being right is appropriateness to the convention...

The more I know, the more I realize that horizontal knowledge is cumbersome and unnecessary, though I think I know what I need to know.

93 versions of the Yi, including the now disputed Ma wang Dui...as I have applied myself to pulling the common denominators out of each one in order to attain a human-minded universality...I realize everyone knows, but differ...still nature has but one knowledge...is man denaturized ?

The question arises once more :
What do you know, or think you know, what is the fundamental difference between human knowledge and natural knowledge...as proposed in the Yi ?

It sends us back to my other post about the relativity of the unstopable and the unmoveable...both are, which one breaks the unbreakable natural law ?

the answer is too simple.............

Confucius

magictortoise

visitor
Reaction score
How do you know that you know what you need to know

I don't know it in advance, but I pray to be firm in the knowledge of what I do know and I pray for knowledge of what I need to know to be brought to me. Which leaves only the task of resolutely getting on with living. If I make my actions accord with my nature then what I need to know will take care of itself.

Best Regards,

Ken Wanamaker

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
This is beginning to sound like that old Marx Brother's routine, "How ya gonna find out what you gotta find out if you can't find out what ya gotta find out?"

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).