...life can be translucent

Menu

"New" Evidence on the Zhou Conquest

midaughter

visitor
Reaction score
Luis I went to your site and it looked odd like a hacker or something had taken it over? Is this your alter ego? Would you upload it to Midaughter's??Please

midaughter

visitor
Reaction score
Ancient China, Eclipses

Funny this guy never mentions the Zhou eclipse that is said to have occurred around the time of the Battle or before a bit, or a year or two before, etc. BTW by astrology most know the destined time of their death. I will die in the time of tui, for example.:eek:

Xia Dynasty
By 2300 BC, ancient Chinese astrologers, already had sophisticated observatory buildings, and as early as 2650 BC, Li Shu was writing about astronomy. Observing total solar eclipses was a major element of forecasting the future health and successes of the Emperor, and astrologers were left with the onerous task of trying to anticipate when these events might occur. Failure to get the prediction right, in at least one recorded case in 2300 BC resulted in the beheading of two astrologers. Because the pattern of total solar eclipses is erratic in any specific geographic location, many astrologers no doubt lost their heads.

By about 20 BC, surviving documents show that Chinese astrologers understood what caused eclipses, and by 8 BC some predictions of total solar eclipse were made using the 135-month recurrence period. By AD 206 Chinese astrologers could predict solar eclipses by analyzing the Moon's motion.

Ancient Chinese astronomy was primarily a government activity. It was the astronomer's role to keep track of the solar, lunar, and planetary motions as well as divine what astronomical phenomena may mean for the ruling emperor. Solar eclipses, infrequent and dramatic, were important enough to be recorded in chronicles and on "oracle" bones.

Shang Dynasty
On day kuei-yu it was inquired: "The Sun was eclipsed in the evening; is it good?"
On day kuei-yu it was inquired: "The Sun was eclipsed in the evening; is it bad?"
(Yi-ts'un, 374) A Shang Dynasty divination
(questions on bone were asked in the negative on one side and positive in the other)

Chou dynasty
Eclipse observations from the Chou dynasty and Warring States period (c. 1050-221 BC), and onward, have been reliably dated, and it appears that some astronomers recognized eclipses as naturally occurring phenomena*

Ch'in dynasty
Oct 24 444 BC: "Duke Li (of the Ch'in dynasty), 34th year. The Sun was eclipsed.
It became dark in the daytime and stars were seen." (Shih-chi, chp. 15)

Han Dynasty Death Omen
Jan 18, 120 AD: "Yuan-ch'I reign-period, 6th year, 12th month, day wu-wu, the first day of the month. The Sun was eclipsed. It was almost complete; on Earth it was like evening. It was 11 deg in Hsu-nu. The Female Ruler was upset by it; two years and three months later, Teng, the Empress Dowager, died." (Hou-han-shu, chp. 28)

Aug 20, 1514 AD: "At the hour of wu suddenly the Sun was eclipsed; it was total. Stars were seen and it was dark. Objects could not be discerned at arm's length. The domestic animals were alarmed and people were terrified. After one (double-)hour it became light." (local history of Tung-hsiang county, Chiang-his province)

*Historical Eclipses and Earth's Rotation, F. Richard Stephenson, Cambridge University Press, 1997

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Luis I went to your site and it looked odd like a hacker or something had taken it over? Is this your alter ego? Would you upload it to Midaughter's??Please

Yes, my site was attacked by some Moroccan Muslim hackers that tried to plant a Trojan horse through their linked website. I fixed it but I do expect more intrusions.

Last edited:

lienshan

visitor
Reaction score
I find these sentences of the Shaughneesy article very interesting:

VI
and reported the netting of the Archer-Lord of Huo
and the netting of 803 chariots
and reported about the netting of Xuanfang
and the netting of 30 chariots
VII
King Wu hunted and netted 22 tigers

I associate the net + the bird of hexagram 30 because birds were the totem of the original Shang tribes

midaughter

visitor
Reaction score
NEts

ABsolutely, many references are to nets in ancient Chinese history. I have been looking at Legge's Book of Rites, I and see a month where a fishing net may be used. Lao Tzu was said to have admonished those who used nets where the mesh was too small thus killing the younger fish. Its interesting to see the use of nets in combat however. That certainly did not survive as a tactic for too long after chariots. I was once fished a boat with a 1500 yard trammel net. Its a net with 3 walls of net, nothing escaped. I hated it but was fascinated by the yin fire clining to each and every piece of mesh when we set the net. The fish striking the net made beautiful patterns of lumisennce. They are illegal now in most states. We were fishing for pompano, as pompano cooked in the paper bag was a popular dish back then. These fish average about 2 lbs and offer the highest price per pound of any marine fish in the continental United States. I don't like pompano, too oily, but it brought the highest price at the market. We ate the bi-catch = blue fish for breakfast with onions and fried eggs.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).