...life can be translucent

Menu

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering what others make of this line, I don't really get it. I'm thinking 'meeting without passing by' means adequately meeting the demands of a situation but not seeking to do more than that ?

Wondering if anyone else had some experience or insights to share about this line ?

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking 'meeting without passing by' means adequately meeting the demands of a situation but not seeking to do more than that ?

IMO, without the benefit of context, it is a line that speaks of a time for keeping a low profile in one's affairs. Being mindful; inconspicuous; knowing when to desist in a pursuit; etc. Not shooting for the stars but for the ceiling... :D

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
thanks Luis - i wonder if it counts as the dullest line in the Yi :mischief:

hollis

visitor
Reaction score
the dullest? could be!

my experience with it: i had a long standing difficulty with a friend. i hoped and tried to patch things up. i worked very hard in fact. when consulting the Yi about the friendhsip, i got this line, and felt sadness that the friendship would not be really repaired (at that time). it was a funny line to get, murky, yes, and all the 'meeting' and 'passing by' in the lines to this hexagram are odd to configure.

all i could get sense of, was that i should not expect the "meeting" to impact, or last.

line 4, though, in my book, has points for being out of harms way, as in lines 1, 3 and 6.

mudpie

visitor
Reaction score
Are we talking about 62.4 or 62.2? 62.2 and 62.5 are the ones that seems truly dull to me. BUt line 4...isnt it kind of ominous? even though you are wthout fault, there is a reason to be very cautious. This line always gives me the willies. It reminds me of kid being sent to the headmaster's office. Everything will be alright if you don't get cocky and mouth off.

hexagon

visitor
Reaction score
The overall hexagram 62 cautions us to wait patiently in times of struggle until the situation changes. I would interpret line 4 to mean that there is a lot at stake in your response, so better to not respond on impulse, but with forethought. Meet the current confrontation you are facing without dwelling in the past. Stay present. Engage brain before gut.

Laurie

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering what others make of this line, I don't really get it. I'm thinking 'meeting without passing by' means adequately meeting the demands of a situation but not seeking to do more than that ?

Wondering if anyone else had some experience or insights to share about this line ?

I think you got it.
It should be understood as a positive comparison with 62.6, where one walks past
others with no greeting or acknowledgment. Yes, it's adequately greeting the time
and the situation on those terms. But this is a lot. This Gua is about humility much
more than Gua 15 is. It isn't a time for overreaching into "more than that".

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that clarifies , like Hollis said all the meeting and passing by in the lines can be hard to figure

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I have had this line in a work situation, i took it to mean just keep your head down and do your job. It reminds me of doing exams when you have eyes down and not suppose to be looking around the room.

Steve

ernobe

visitor
Reaction score
62.4: there is earth below, which resists the breaking up attempts of the wood above, to the point of injuring it. The change of line 4 relates the wood trigram to earth, in the opposite direction, so the wood does break up the earth. Earths' initial resistance was thus not to avoid the wood action entirely but to make sure the most was made of it.

steve

visitor
Reaction score
I guess thats what you are doing making the most of the situation, whether you want to or not.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).