...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I Ching on a String!

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)

Thank you! I've emailed your address to Rosada, who is I Ching String Queen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Challenge to Other Solutions

[Charly wrote: "... Another thing, I wonder about the story of your necklace, how do you get it, how got you knowing its poperties, has the necklace some trade mark or inscription of origins? Do you now about similar ones?"]

One of the thingss I love about the yijng is its shroud of mystery.
    It seems to inspire and stimulate metaphorical and symbolic creativity.
    It also seems designed to catalyze imagination and the ability to dream.
    No-one will ever truly know how it evolved or was designed ... it is a prehistoric artifact. Many people have imagined how it originated, but most of what we know is myth
    After years of re-reading the Wilhelm translation of the yjing the image of the necklace came to me in a vivid dream. I knew the necklace encoded the yijing because it was my dream. When I awoke from the dream, I could not clearly visualize the sequence of the beads. Yet I awoke with certainty that the necklace existed ... this I cannot explain.
    So, I purchased some beads and tried to recreate the sequence, getting close many times ... at first, it was all poke and hope..
    Next, I created a simple deck of 64 index cards designed to find a solution.
    Each card had 1 hexagram on it.
    Six lines ran the full width of each card, together with it's hexagram number
    Using this tool I played a type of solitaire, which I now officially call "sol-I-ching(tm)"
    Overlapping the cards vertically, always shifting each new card upwards by one line, I eventually managed to find a solution, after many interesting sequences and many dead ends. That was in 1998 ... at which time I strung the first set of beads.
    Assuming something like this must already exist, I searched the web periodically, could find nothing similar, until posting here
    After realizing the necklace was unusual and valuable, I kept it secret, could not figure out how to market or protect it.

I am tooling up to produce an elegant set of sol-Iching(tm) cards or tiles to be used to find more solutions to Charly's challenge. These will be made available at a very reasonable price.
    Since the Yijing is Chinese in origin I think the right thing for me to do is to take 20% of the profits from these cards or tiles and make the money available to the disaster relief efforts going on in China after their earthquake.
    I'm not sure how many know it, but there is a LARGE VOLCANO simmering under Yellowstone Park that will affect North America catastrophically when it blows ... scientists think this is overdue.
    Let's make this a group development effort.
    If we all choose a couple of hexagrams we should be able to come wih a choice of one-liners for each hexagram. If we keep the one-liners "public domain" each one of us could freely sell our own version of the necklace and not hassle with copyright law while documenting the meaning of each hexagram in the sequence.

Maybe we could all make some money and help China too!!!
    Allan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks to people who are involved - especially Rosada - very clever idea indeed.
    I have recieved string today and will be running my fingers over it as much as possible.
    I also have a bracelet with 16 beads.
    I prefer using either the yarrow (bamboo stems, I made) and the 16 beads to date but can see that Rosada's example of the 64 should be just as good. I am not fond of the three coin method as I feel it requires little effort, use of feeling, "standing still" than others, and therefore does not fit my own
    idea of using some respectful and thoughful attitude to the cast at least. The yarrow and its offspring house the historical concept. I am one that prefers the traditional, long way round, with time to give the Yi time to "connect" and for the querant and caster to connect with the question as well.
    Rosada's 64 hex circle provides for this also by way of handling the string, thinking on it and keeping the string close at hand. I like it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Rosada can you explain how you consult using your beads - or have you already done so elsewhere ? I followed Charlys link above but can't follow anything mathematical - its like I am dyslexic with maths. Are you able to explain in words not diagrams - I am dyslexic in diagrams too if thats possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    Rosada can you explain how you consult using your beads... Are you able to explain in words not diagrams ...
    Trojan:

Maybe Rosada has his own method. I tell you how is the one that I Know:

You have a neckace with 32 black beads and 32 whithe beads, total 64 beads.
    The dispossition of the beads is not randomly, it has the virtue of taking whatever six consecutive beads it reproduces all the 64 set of hexagrams, without repetition nor lack of none.

For consulting:

• Take randomly one bead
    • Take note of the colour of that bead and that of the five consecutive ones goig to the left.
    • The first bead represents the base line, if the bead is black it represents a yin line (or an even nunber), if the bead is white it represent a yang line (or an odd number). (1)
    • Proceed the same wih the remaining beads.

For getting the transformed hexagram proceed another time. Comparing the two hexagrams you deduce what lines have changed. (2)

The correct dispossition of the beads correspond to a more general mathematical problem.

You also can take a reduced neckace with only 8 beads, get the results by trigams and then built the hexagrams.

Yours,

Charly

(2) As described by De Harlez (available in french).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks Charly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3