...life can be translucent

Menu

Job opportunity

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So I've had a very unexpected job opportunity come up, and I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm in school for a year, studying science writing, and it's going well and that's been what I've been headed for. But I recently got contacted out of the blue by a finance company in NY that wants me to come work for them doing some potentially quite interesting research for tons and tons of money. I'm intrigued by the possibility, for a bunch of reasons. I've never had anything to do with the business world, and I think it'd be pretty neat to learn about it -- another thing I can ultimately bring to my writing. It's very flattering to have this very prestigious company track me down and ask me to work for them. Plus, I've never made much money before, and that'd be pretty neat to do for a while.

On the other hand, I'm pretty excited about the direction I've been heading too. It's possible that I'd be able to do some writing on the side while in NYC, but there wouldn't be a lot of time available for it. I would imagine that I'd find my way back to full-time writing even I did take this job, but you never know what life will bring.

Anyway, there's lots more I could say about that, but that's enough to give you a sense of the context. So I asked the Yi:
What if I took the NYC job? 22.3 to 27
What if I continued more directly with science writing? 5

I'd be very grateful for anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,

Julie

jte

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Julie -

Given your context, it sounds like the Yi is saying the NYC job would be excellent at a superficial level. It *might* be excellent beyond that, too, but from what you wrote, it sounds like you have doubts about that. Given that really nice job opportunities don't come around all the time (for most of us) you might seriously consider trying it out.

If the NYC job turns out to not truly satisfy you, you'll have a good financial situation and good experience to use as a base from which to expand your horizons.

That other half of the 22.3 line reading, about "always maintaining correctness" might in this context be advice to "keep it professional" - if they're paying well, the folks who are hiring may well have high standards for professionalism and whatever constitutes excellence in this research field. Especially so if this isn't your field of expertise - you'll need to continue to meet those expectations to maintain their favor, I'd guess. Most likely that's quite possible for you if you're careful...

Overall, I think the advice is to try on the nice, shiny, new clothes and see how they really fit.

- Jeff

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. It's kind of funny, actually. One of the images that has popped into my mind with this whole thing is feeling a bit like Cinderella -- having this company come knock on my door and say, "Would you like to try putting your foot in this pretty little shoe?" So the Yi is saying, sure, go for it, try it on.

Seems like it's saying that continuing on directly with science writing will be fine, and eventually will bring good things, but it won't bring any big immediate rewards. That's quite plausible.

It's just so weird. I can't quite get my head around it. I'm just *not* a finance sort of person. I'm a nutty-crunchy, moutains and ocean and desert, science-writing sort of person.

It is a pretty shoe, though...

Thanks, Jeff.

Julie

hester

visitor
Reaction score
Just a hunch Julie, but I'd think about sticking to the science writing right now, not take the job.....just think about it is what i mean, if you please....keep the company on hold for a while till you understand a little more....I just wonder that you are onto something with the science writing very good, the rewards may be different than financial. please throw my hunch out if it seems too impractical. im sorry if this is importune two cents.

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your hunch, Hester.

My current sense of these readings is that the Yi is not making any recommendation about what I should ultimately do. It's just helping me to clarify what the issues are. The finance job is superficial, beautiful, fun, and nourishing (financially and probably otherwise as well). Sticking with science writing more directly is laying the groundwork for creativity. Both options sound pretty good.

My inclination is to just keep moving forward, pursuing both options and getting more information. At some point, I think it'll become clear which option is the one that's more rewarding.

In the meantime, I think I'll just be psyched to have such great options, and I'll enjoy feeling like Cinderella, regardless of whether I decide to marry the prince.

That'd be an interesting retelling of the Cinderella story... the prince comes, she tries on the shoe, it fits, and she says, "Well, actually, no thanks, you're a nice guy and all, but I'm not really interested in getting married."

But, I do think she'd try the shoe on first and take a few steps and see how it feels. Or at least, I think I will, just by pursuing this thing a bit further and seeing how it seems to me.

Thanks again, Jeff and Hester.

Julie

hester

visitor
Reaction score
actually julie, what made me wonder about your job offer was a long term pondering on 22 3. have had this line up my sleeve for several months now, in a certain situation, (puzzling situation) waiting for it to play out. but now, the meaning finally has finished it's hand (sometimes takes quite a while for a line to come to maturity)
and i think the line 22 3, is kismet. the job just may be wonderful.

void

visitor
Reaction score
Mmm interesting Hester. I don't trust 22,3 much taking it as all looking very sweet but actually very little substance. I received it regarding whether to go back to a certain company where I had already established some pleasant relations. Soon as I got 22,3 on it I decided against it.

Who knows maybe I was so wrong (groan) but my gut feeling was so much 'it just looks pretty now - thats all'.

Well not just gut feeling, experience too. Having received it in the past it always seems to signify some pleasant diversion that ultimately disappoints . You get lost in its sweetness and end up hungry.

B

bruce

Hi Julie,

The head space I?ve been in when receiving 22.3 has always been the same: bored, disappointed and unfulfilled. Based on this and your relating Gua 27, I?m surmising you wouldn?t find your happiness or nourishment by accepting this offer.

?It's very flattering to have this very prestigious company track me down and ask me to work for them.? It?s nice to be courted, yes, but not enough reason to marry someone you don?t love. Especially since there?s someone you?re already crazy about that you?re engaged to.

I?d wait it out (5) with your writing endeavors and continue to develop that relationship.

B

bruce

As an aside, and not especially relevant, finance company gigs can be very boring. I was once wooed to accept a position as a "loan officer" for such a company, with promises of a lucrative future. Hey, the big guys all had nice cars! All I could think after a few weeks was, somebody shoot me, please! All those guys ever talked about was money, as if that was their whole life. And after getting to know them a little better, it was their whole life.

hester

visitor
Reaction score
Hel-lo Void, hi Bruce, and Hi Julie again. Yes Void, these were my concerns about 22 line 3. And I hear you Bruce, also. And I hesitate to EVER interpret for ANYONE especailly about something as important as money or future. Or love or anything for that matter. I am still a beginner at the Yi, and not only do I think I am blind men groping the elephant, I think the Yi is also. All that aside, yes, I was wondering if 22 line 3 was a slippery deal, and Wilhelm warns for constant perserverance. So. All that in mind. I do have a situation here, where 22 line 3 has worked out closer to what I sense from LiSe's website, where there is an instance, and only the surrounding cards can determine, where the line CAN be kismet.

frank

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Julie,

1. NYC Job: 22.3 > 27...
Mmm, could be nice from the outside, but look what YOU realy need to feel nourished(27).

2. Science writting: 5...
Hold on... time will be on your side...

Hug,
Frank

B

bruce

Hi Hester,

Yes, I tend to agree with you. Which is why I try to phrase an interpretation as 'this is what I see, and this is what I'd do about or with it.' Not that I hold to that format as gospel, but I do try to present it in that way. That or as a general analogy.

Of course if someone doesn't ask for help in interpreting, I mind my own business. lol

hester

visitor
Reaction score
clown.gif
ummm hummmm.
clown.gif

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Science writing 5.. It will not run away, but wait for you.

With 22.3 I'd find out what this is, give it a try. Hex.22 is not only superficial. Beauty has a solid base, otherwise it cannot be pretty. It needs health and completeness. Might be that this job wakes up a side in you which has not yet really been explored.

Without that 5 for the other question I'd not be so sure, but that seems so clearly to say the science writing has time...

LiSe

M

micheline

my feeling on this line, with due respect to all, was that it is a gorgeous opportunity for nourishment (and fun)

and that the writing will be there... maybe even some connections made in the new place (if you choose to take it!)

B

bruce

I hope Julie responds to these comments, especially in a few months, after she's made her decision, and shares her progress. I'd love to know the outcome.

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The variety of interpretations has been fascinating! I'll definitely keep everyone posted. No more news yet.

Thanks everybody! It's been very enlightening.

Julie

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So here's the promised update -- got an email from them saying they're not interested after all. Blobbedy blah, they'll keep my resume on file in case they have an appropriate opening, blah blah.

Looking back at my original questions, it occurs to me that I might be better off in general trying to phrase my questions in a completely here-and-now way. "What if I took the NYC job" is ultimately poorly formed, since that wasn't really a choice I had at that moment -- the job wasn't yet mine to accept or refuse. And even if it had been, the fact is that we have very little control over the future, and using the Yi as a way to try to control the future is pretty silly.

I think it would have been better to put my question in a more immediate way instead, something like "How should I think about the NYC job now?" The Yi's answer makes a fair amount of sense in that way: allow this possibility to be a fun and nourishing thing for you.

It *was* pretty fun! Even though it didn't turn into anything. And nourishing too, in the sense that it fed new ideas and images of myself and opened me to new possibilities in the world.

Julie

J

jesed

Hi Julie

I think Yi DID answer your question, and do it right.

This "oportunity" was something superficial, dissapointed and without substance, as Void, Frank and Bruce pointed.

It was not a great job or gorgeous opportunity, on the other hand.

More important.... Yi focus you in keep with science writing.

I find this theme very inlightening, because is confronting interpretation with real empirical facts that we learn better

Best wishes

hester

visitor
Reaction score
the 23 3 turned out to a fizzle in the case I am observing, just before julie posted. but why rub my nose in it, all the arrogant here dont need my honest attempt.

J

jesed

Hi Hester

I hope that your last expresion wasn't because of my post.

My intention was to learn from factical outcome. But if my post hurt you in anyway, i apologize sincerly.

Best wishes

hester

visitor
Reaction score
I guess , Jesed, it was. I am little over sensitive these days. I'm sorry too.

Also, my apologies to the Yi king, to say it is a blind man groping the elephant. I dont think it is. I said "sorry" in private, but now I say it here too.

M

micheline

Hester's intepretation initially was right on...and BTW, the job was a gorgeous opportunity, except that it was in essence only, never actually offered to Julie....it was the "appearance" of a gorgeous opportunity!! ha. I thought it was quite an apt reading for something that seemed so appealing.....it was a nice time to try on the glass slipper for size.

M

micheline

If Yi King could talk, he would say you are very wise indeed , Hester, to liken him to any one of the blind men groping the elephant....at any given moment, what else is possible,or needed, but a very sensual and intimate hands-on description of a particular ASPECT of the mighty *elephant* moving . sometimes we only NEED to sense the strength of the trunk wailing and ignore the sharpness of the tusk .. or need to softly stroke the ear of a situation , or get the sense of a wispy tail retreating. bye-bye elephant.

and sometimes we need to jump on and ride before we really understand and you almost gotta do that blind.

so maybe the great Yi King is the blind leading the blind, and yet we will sense what we need to know, given our position and our willingness to reach and examine. The eyes, after all, are often the most likely to betray us and so Yi King doesnt use them. His reponses are sensitively intimate, inviting us to feel our way to truth trusting our own *hands*

trust your wisdom, hester, you speak softly and carry a powerful hand.

hester

visitor
Reaction score
'or need to softly stroke the ear of a situation , or get the sense of a wispy tail retreating.'

'bye-bye elephant.'
zen2.gif

Wonderful, you.

julie

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Jesed,

Oh yes, I think the Yi answered my question correctly too. I just don't think it was a terribly good question. It's a useful thing to observe for the future.

And Hester, thanks for your thoughts. They were helpful, and it's nice to feel like we're all learning together.

Who wants to wear a glass slipper anyway? Terribly impractical. I prefer hiking boots.

Julie

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).