...life can be translucent

Menu

Order of hexagram sequences

sliponshoe

visitor
Reaction score
i've always been wondering if there's any definite way to interpret the order of hexagrams in sequences. is there a major difference between let's say"50----->56" and "56----->50"? is the first hexagram the exposition of the problem one is facing? can one always argue that the moving line within a hexagram results in the following hexagram? or can the second hexagram also be a kind of a footnote. i.e. explanatory note? being a novice i'd love your feedback.

thanks
sliponshoe

lightofdarkness

(deceased)
Reaction score
The natural order of hexagrams comes out of the self-referencing of yin/yang. That will give you the 'binary' sequence of hexagrams. From there all else follows in that the underlaying pattern sets a ground to interpret all derived sequences of hexagrams. STRUCTURALLY there is no difference in reading 02-23 either way but TEMPORALLY there can be differences.

See comments etc in:

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/icpoints.html for comments on the binary etc

See

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/myweb/icmatrix.html

For MANY sequences of hexagrams.

See

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~lofting/IChingPlus for a general overview of the static elements, the structural, in the IC.

Chris.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Many see the relating hexagram as the situation as a whole. It gave me a much better insight in many readings. So 50 to 56 means, it is a time of 56, and the things you can do now are the changing lines of 55. If you follow the advice, the good things of 56 can come about (like finding your place in a new environment), if you don't, the negative side (not finding it, staying a stranger).
Reversed, it is a time of 55 (like embarking on a big enterprise), and what you can best do, you can find in 56 and its moving lines (moving carefully like a stranger to the situation).

So there is a big difference between the two readings.

People who see some hexagrams (or lines) as negative and others as positive, will have trouble with this interpretation. As if there is an inevitable good or bad fortune lying ahead. But when you see every line as an advice, "if you do this.. good, if you do that.. bad), then it becomes clear how much your future is in your own hands. The Yi being a perfect tool to help you make the right decisions, by telling you about the consequences.

LiSe

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
My take on it is different than Lise's. I'd say that the primary hexagram portrays the present situation, modified by the relating hexagram. An analogy: the primary hexagram is pizza, and the relating hexagram is a major topping on that pizza.

So, who you gonna believe, me or Lise? Well, my view is that it doesn't matter as long as *you* know how you're going to interpret it, cuz the Yi will respond accordingly. I mean, the oracle's essentially a response to or reflection of your own higher mind in the matrix of its present situation, right? So, if you decide that 'primary hex means this, and relating hex means that', then the Yi will give you useful input.

So, it's not a question of 'who you gonna believe - Lise or me?' but 'which approach appeals to you more?'

sliponshoe

visitor
Reaction score
thanks everybody for your opinion. i tend to agree with dobro's advice. but sometimes i believe that both options apply.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"both apply", I love that! Not choosing (and discarding). It is how life is.

Big trees and tiny daisies, lions and microbes, body and spirit, wings and wheels (quoting Martin).

LiSe

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).