Reaction score
YiBooks.jpg

denis_m

visitor
Reaction score
looks mighty fine

Brad,

I look forward to owning a copy.
I see that it is sitting next to Li Guangdi's Zhouyi Zhezhong from Ruicheng Press.

Denis Mair

re5ga

visitor
Reaction score
As they have it in the vulgar: "Looking good." R.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, Brad!! I certainly look forward to buy a copy.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Great Bradford!

I will absolutely order a copy! It will be the best Yi on my bookshelf.

LiSe

M

maremaria

congratulations Bradford !!!

Let us know how we can get it.

Maria

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Brilliant news! Glad to see it has that gold lettering I suggested, too ;)

Freeing up space on the bookshelf now...

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Hilary-
Make room for three books. I'm sending you my Laozi too.
They haven't been sent from the printers yet, but I'll
be sending the set to you right away. You've already
earned them.
Yes, I agreed with your gold. It was always going to be
xuan and huang in color.
B

For others, how to obtain them will be posted on my website
within a couple of weeks. I'm trying to keep prices reasonable
and competitive, but the biggest puzzle is outrageous overseas
shipping costs. I won't be able to set prices until all weights
and costs are tallied.

AltVis8D

visitor
Reaction score
Brad,
I use your version exclusively any more. It is masterful and unique. Very convenient in PDF format. Deserves to be widely read. Humble congratulations, I will be an early customer. Thank you.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I use your version exclusively any more.

Hi Justin
Thanks.
I had entertained the notion that somehow I would be able to box up the rest of my books once my personal version had stopped changing, but I still have my dozen or so favorites on the shelves and refer to a handful of them regularly. Haven't picked up Wilhelm or Blofeld in a while though.
Imagine a one hectare field (2.5 acres, 330 feet on a side). It's a limited area, and far from being the whole world. But how many ways are there to amble across that thing? That's practically infinite. Each of the lines is a little like that. Using my Matrix translation I could probably generate a thousand ways to translate each line. And I've picked my favorite paths and trails, and blazed some, and found most all of the well used game trails, and some of the old campsites of archaeological interest, and some cool buried treasure. But it's still not fully explored and there's always loads of things we miss. And when it comes to interpreting a line in the light of a specific question, that's when our omissions start to show.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Using my Matrix translation I could probably generate a thousand ways to translate each line. And I've picked my favorite paths and trails, and blazed some, and found most all of the well used game trails, and some of the old campsites of archaeological interest, and some cool buried treasure. But it's still not fully explored and there's always loads of things we miss. And when it comes to interpreting a line in the light of a specific question, that's when our omissions start to show.

Thanks, Brad, you don't know how glad I am to hear that. A great reason I much respect your opinions. It comes apropos with something I was commenting this morning on Facebook.

AltVis8D

visitor
Reaction score
Luis, you do get around...

Thank you too, Brad, for the caveat. And Luis for your passionate defense of indeterminacy on Facebook (I hate wondering if my post is appropriate to a particular thread or forum... I feel some nagging contradiction between economy of expression and needing to repeat myself)... and for that matter, Hillary too for being ever the facilitative resource - or provocateur! I guess it speaks to the way in which I choose to use the Yi; I most enjoy your translation for use as an oracular response, generated with the coin casting-ratio.

I appreciate it not because it is the 'right' or 'correct' interpretation or translation, but because you provide a finely painted metaphor in which to move and relate to my own experience - nothing binding about it; this rather than a literal explanation of the meaning of the translation, which I find to be the more frequently published literary response to interpretation.

In short, you are describing an image (hexagram or line) with an image (a metaphor). In my own researches - outside of a personal, oracular relationship to the work - it is my understanding that 'the mantic function' - the way an oracle functions between consciousness and the objects of consciousness or corporeality - is consonant with 'an identity relationship', that is what defines a metaphor as being dialogical in nature, both itself and something else at the same time, or representing 'similarity in difference'. That is the function of imagery in general, and so I like to refer to mantic function and identity relationship together with the phrase, 'the metaphysic of the image'.

Being that the metaphysic of the image - as you say of your interpretation - is not this or that, but a relationship - a mode of being that is both creative and reflective - the truth of a given moment may only ever be perceived as a process of becoming that is 'never the same river twice'. I think we all understand that it is a relationship to change that the book indicates, and what I enjoy most is the practice of asking what change is.

In any event, I'm obligated now to make this plain in the context of an academic program... which endeavor is quixotic in its magnitude - Bonsai!!!:eek::duh::rofl::bows:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't seem to access Facebook at the moment - grmph. I share Brad's view (even on the basis of a whole lot less experience) of the infinite paths across the field, and I've noticed how fresh readings create fresh metaphors.

Oddly enough, though, I also appreciate people who'll do what I'd never do and make definite statements about what is and isn't 'correct' and true. Which probably makes me vague as mist.

AltVis8D

visitor
Reaction score
...Which probably makes me vague as mist.

I have to confess that one of the things I've loved the most about living in San Francisco is the fog...

and then, there is always the necessity of a place to start from, but definitions are only ever that I think. Most fun to play the ends against the middle(s).

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Justin, I may appear omnipresent but never omniscient, just irritatingly opinionated... :D

Hilary said:
Oddly enough, though, I also appreciate people who'll do what I'd never do and make definite statements about what is and isn't 'correct' and true. Which probably makes me vague as mist.

That surely speaks for the person and kudos to them for being honest to a fault, even if they could be proven wrong. At the very least, they own their words, just like anybody else. That fact does not preempt others, like me, from pointing where they conflict with my views. I was more taken by your inclusion of the word "definite" than by whatever he has to say. It makes me think you agree with him on certain key issues I consider important and that, IMO, close a number of investigative and philosophical doors.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all
The website now has ordering instructions and the books are in my hands.
http://www.hermetica.info/Books.pdf
Also I simplified the free Yijing pdf's into just two documents, same as the books.
They are secured as read-only now. The chapter versions are no longer there.
Brad
http://www.hermetica.info

If you have donated to my site you may claim what you gave as credit
towards a purchase.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Bradford, great!!

Going to order your books immediately.

I always look at yours too, for an interpretation, and most of the time it adds something special. A wider view, a different angle, a sudden insight.
Or another way of translating a sentence or character.

Or great information about the backgrounds and the structure. Very rich and very complete.

Thanks for your beautiful work.

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto here!! They look pristine and "rare." Instant classics, IMO.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Phew! Congratulations. This is a real labour of love that'll no doubt give many people a great deal of nourishment. Quite a legacy to leave for others.

How can you follow this??! :eek: :D

Topal

jmigdb

visitor
Reaction score
Compact format

I have all your material since several years ago, but in a miscellaneous format: printed copies, pdfs, Word documents... Maybe is the right moment to have it in a more suitable and handy one. Thanks

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have all your material since several years ago, but in a miscellaneous format: printed copies, pdfs, Word documents... Maybe is the right moment to have it in a more suitable and handy one. Thanks

Hi
The most recent version is in a simpler form, not so miscellaneous anymore -
the two volumes as two free read-only pdf downloads, available at.
http://www.hermetica.info/
There are also instructions there under "How to get the books"

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Bradford is too modest to say it but, if you can, buy the bound volumes. They are really good and one of the best additions to any Yijing library.

cesca

visitor
Reaction score
Bradford is too modest to say it but, if you can, buy the bound volumes. They are really good and one of the best additions to any Yijing library.

I second that. Am encouraging all my students to buy them. The Lao Zi is great too.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).