...life can be translucent

Menu
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yi-globe

Default The Yi-globe

This morning I received a nice message from Steve Marshall pointing to a review of his of a new site with some exciting findings. In my experience, very few things excite Steve. All the more reason to pay close attention to the new material:

The Yi-globe
    Last edited by sparhawk; May 9th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparhawk For This Useful Post:

javalava (August 4th, 2009), mythili (March 18th, 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
    This morning I received a nice message from Steve Marshall pointing to a review of his of a new site with some exciting findings. In my experience, very few things excite Steve. All the more reason to pay close attention to the new material:

The Yi-globe
    Wow. This is amazing. Thanks for this.

Topal
    "Take the understanding of the East and the knowledge of the West and then seek." G.I.Gurdjieff

This all sounds Very Important but I don't understand what it means. Can you explain the significance for us bears with very little brains?
    Most grateful,
    rosada

Smile dryjoe

Quote Originally Posted by rosada View Post
    This all sounds Very Important but I don't understand what it means. Can you explain the significance for us bears with very little brains?
    Most grateful,
    rosada
    Dear Rosada, the Yi-globe is quite a new discovery. You may look at it as if it were a nice toy or a useful device that you found on the street. It depends on you. You can try it and learn whether is it good or not, is it usable or not for something?
    Some ideas for the initial steps:
    If you want to take it for a toy, look at its nice form only. In the books the hexagrams are placed in a row or in square tables almost orderless. Now you can see a beautiful sphere where the hexagrams are at their proper place: the Heaven at the top, the Earth below, the two signs of Completion (the beginning and the end) in the center, etc. Still you can see some interesting forms inside as in a caleidoscope: a cross, six-pointed stars, the yin-yang diagram, and so on. There are nice pictures on the site.
    Moreover, the Yi-globe can be taken as a guide on consulting the oracle. When your hexagram is built up, you can find it on the Yi-globe. Now, in contrast to the usual methods, it has a definite position among the others: up or down (see the levels I to V.), on the dark or on the light side, on the East or South, etc. You can connect your hexagram to a certain time too: to a month or an hour of the day, it can be early or late, and so on. If the hexagram has moving lines, you can see where you go and in what direction. All these "data" can be considered in the interpretations.
    At the end, these informations have to be compared to the results of the usual methods (to the image, to the judgement, etc.).
    I think this is a way to the usage of the Yi-globe in the process of the divination. There is a possibility, of course, that you will not find any connection with the traditional methods, or even the Yi-globe contradicts them. Then there remains the enjoyment of the sight of the sphere, this cultural historical novelty.
    Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dryjoe For This Useful Post:

javalava (August 4th, 2009)

Beautifull some of his diagrams and pictures. Very interesting!!

Thanks for showing.

Frank

Thank you dryjoe,
    I haven't really grocked it yet, but already friends and I are seeing some some shifts in thinking. Having this model in your brain seems to strengthen the potential for seeing different perspectives simultaneously.
    Cool!

Ah, just realized I had only gone to the first place Sparhawk suggested and only just now clicked The Yi-globe site. So anyone else reading this be sure to check out Sparhawk's second site suggestion.
    r
    Last edited by rosada; May 18th, 2009 at 11:56 PM.

What?!?!"Sparehawk"?!?!

I am NOT a "spare" hawk!! I'm the ONLY hawk in here! On the other hand, I am a "sparrow-hawk" and proud of it, excuse me (insert here a picture of contemptuous look, with a sticking tongue for good measure)

Hi Rosada and Luis,

Hopefully the Spare-hawk reference was an homage to spare ribs which any good hawk would swoop down and grab on to.

The Yi globe involves fitting the 64 possible hexagram patterns into a Western model of perpendicular axes and a spherical globe. The principles used to organize the levels or latitudes of this globe are based upon the hexagrams in terms of their line places, so that one-yin line or one yang line hexagrams are each one level, then patterns with 2,3,4 yang lines to them. The overall structure follows from the arrangement of the Earlier Heaven where the trigrams (or hexagrams of double trigrams) use simple principles, Heaven Above, Earth Below.

These are all principles viewing the hexagrams through their lines and trigram references. It is the set of principles of the earlier Yi ordering which is also the binary principles of our computers. The innovation of the Ken Wen Sequence was to arrange the hexagrams in terms of their overall meaning not just the lines.

I find it interesting that the sets of ten appear in this work, though as "decimal" sets which actually would refer to our Western number system and not the Chinese. The missing key to unlock the unknown King Wen Sequence are the philosophical principles of the Taiji or Pythagorean monad, dyad, triad, and tetrad. Instead the Yi globe is left without any clear relationship to the sequence numbering and the King Wen Sequence remains a mystery and apparently chaotic without any relation to Chinese philosophy.

But the Yi globe is an interesting example of Western mathematical ideas applied to binary 6-place figures. One of the wonders of the Yi is that just about any arrangement can be made and found insightful, as long as one doesn't expect it all to hang together, follow smoothly from one number set to the next, and express both poetic principles of the inverse pairs and the philosophical depth of the decads or sets of ten.

Frank
    I Ching hexagram meaning from line structure
    and King Wen Sequence Explained: www.stars-n-dice.com/fluxtome.html
    Learn astrology meaning of signs, houses, planets from just the dot-number patterns on the dice cube:http://www.stars-n-dice.com/learnastrology.html
    New Yi Oracle Perspective:http://www.stars-n-dice.com/vaginaliching.html

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast