...life can be translucent

Menu

57. Sun / The Gentle (The Penetrating, Wind)

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
57. Sun / The Gentle (The Penetrating, Wind)

-----
----- above SUN THE GENTLE, WIND, WOOD
-- --
-----
----- below SUN THE GENTLE, WIND, WOOD
-- --

Sun is one of the eight double trigrams. It is the eldest daughter and symbolizes wind or wood; it has for its attribute gentleness, which none the less penetrates like the wind or like growing wood with its roots.
The dark principle, in itself rigid and immovable, is dissolved by the penetrating light principle, to which it subordinates itself in gentleness. In nature, it is the wind that disperses the gathered clouds, leaving the sky clear and serene. In human life it is penetrating clarity of judgement that thwarts all dark hidden motives. In the life of the community it is the powerful influence of a great personality that uncovers and breaks up those intrigues which shun the light of day.
-Wilhelm

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yicard57.jpg

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Although this hexagram is conditioned by the two yin lines,there is only one feminine hexagram, namely Li, THE CLINGING, in which the yin lines are the rulers. They are rulers because they occupy middle places. The two yin lines here are the constituting rulers of the hexagram but cannot be regarded as the governing rulers. The governing ruler is rather the nine in the fifth place, for only one who is in an honored place can "spread the commands abroad and carry out his undertakings." When therefore it is said in the Commentary on the Decision, "The firm penetrates to the middle and to the correct, and its will is done," the reference is to the fifth line.
-Wilhelm

solun

visitor
Reaction score
57. SUN Proceeding Humbly

'"When faced with a difficult problem to resolve or a goal we wish to achieve, we often are tempted to take striking and energetic actions. Though it is possible to achieve temporary results in this fashion, they tend to collapse when we cannot sustain the vigorous effort. More enduring accomplishments are won through gentle but ceaseless penetration, like that of a soft wind blowing steadily in the same direction. The truth of the Sage penetrates to us in this way, and this hexagram comes now to remind [us] that this is how [we] should seek to penentrate others.
... avoid agressive ambitious maneuvers which are rooted in desire and fear and will only serve to block the aid of the Creative. The desirable influence is the one that flows naturally from maintaining a proper attitude."'
~ BB Walker
:bows:

solun

visitor
Reaction score
Recently I got 59/3 changing to 57 with 27 as the nuclear, or inner, hexagram.

Here's a portion of BB Walker on 27, Providing Nourishment
which I thought was beneficial in a general sense.

"The I Ching teaches us that if we wish to gauge someone's character, we should notice what he nourishes in himself and others. Those who cultivate inferior behaviours and relationships are inferior people; those who cultivate superior qualities in themselves are superior people. This is a test that we should apply to ourselves as well as to others.
What you put into your body is obviously important. Because it determines your fundamental physical well-being, it is wise to be moderate and thoughtful about the food we eat. What you put into your mind is even more significant, and regulating it is a more subtle art..."

It's a nice reminder to slow down and think about exactly toward what and how we are proceeding - preferably as a steady gentle (humble) breeze toward a noble goal.

27 leads to inner hexagram 2/Responding. What we choose to nurture again, or respond to means what we will allow to take root in the depth of our soul. To watch what's growing in the garden so to speak, and will ultimately perhaps flourish in the outer world. A profound and humbling responsibility.

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hello everyone :)

I really like Luis' card on this one
do I see 56's bird in there?
what? it wasn't tied well enough, its cord got cut and it flew away?
oh, I'm sure that made the kids sad . .
. . but they say that later on they found it caught on the branches of a tree in the forest near by :) . . or so the story goes (62.6)

;)

fkegan

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hex 57 by structural analysis...

The nuclear hexagram, formed by ignoring the 1st and 6th line and expanding the remaining four lines by doubling the heart line pair ( 3&4) emphasizes what is in the heart to indicate from where the original hexagram arose . The nuclear of any nuclear hexagram must be one of the first pair or last pair of hexagrams, since it would be the heart line pair repeated three times.

Hex 57 is the 7th hexagram of the decad starting with hex 51. A seventh hexagram is the negative x-axis of the double dichotomy overall. Hex 57 is the thunder stroke in the heart reduced to its original impulse or fundamental reality. It is wind or growing wood repeated or the tiny though consistent impacts of the Chinese water torture.

The nuclear hexagram of hex57 is hex 38 representing the inner conflict of the pressure gradients between high and low pressure fronts that cause wind phenomena in weather. Similarly, the personal inner conflicts that cause one to chase one way and then another as various competing goals or opportunities take over but aren't focused enough to be consistent.

This hexagram represents process overall (4 Yang lines) with the roots or transition from the prior conditions and the heart's feelings both open Yin line places, so there is no clarity of what is the true nature of things here-and-now nor what it is you feel in your heart or how you envision doing what you want to do.

Frank

solun

visitor
Reaction score
Luis does have some nice cards. And art can say so much ...
The bird looks like a symbol of transformation or change, as if it were a thunderbird. Releasing it as a kite, or tethered to a harmonious ideal or goal (the goal or relationship of the kite fliers) it can maintain a steady flight and stay aloft.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
From Arthur Waley:

The subject of § 57 is 'sun', which is taken to mean 'to obey'. It is, however, obvious from the contexts in which it occurs that the word is a noun, not a verb.

Thus:
巽在床下,用史巫

... can only mean 'If there is a sun under the bed, you must have plentiful recourse to recorders and wizards.' The appearance of a sun is evidently an omen. One is reminded of the Ode The Seventh Monlh 2) where the creeping of the cricket under the bed is the sign that the time has come to shut up the house for the winter.

Arthur Waley: The Book of Changes, Bulletin of the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities, p.126

The whole article can be found at Steve Marshall's page and also a page bay page scanning.
http://www.biroco.com/yijing/scans/waley126.jpg

From Zdic.Net:

5DFD.gif

5th of the 8 trigrams; south-east; mild, modest, obedient

at: http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE5ZdicB7ZdicBD.htm

From R.Sears:

Only two seal variants:

L36437.gif

L22069.gif

... two kneeling persons卩 in front of a table 兀 - subservience
... subservient / submissive / mild / bland / the 5th of the Eight Diagrams / a Chinese family name...

at: http://www.chineseetymology.org/Cha...aspx?characterInput=巽&submitButton1=Etymology

I can see the two kneeling persons but above the table. Maybe it's not a table but a bed, two persons kneeling above a BED, the cricket is below the bed. Maybe time of doing things together, time of LOVE (1).

CRICKET IN THE DARK BROUGHT BY THE WIND​

A LITTLE GUY with high pitched voice, penetrating and restless, a voice from the darkness, a YIN VOICE.

A MALE CALL, the little guy is CALLING FOR A WIFE. Or maybe many wives.

typical_cricket.gif

Cricket calling...
Male variable field crickets (Gryllus lineaticeps)... produce calls (chirps) to attract females. Males that are able to chirp faster, or for longer, may do better (i.e. attract females sooner or attract more females) than males that can't chirp at such a high rate or can't sustain their rate of calling.

From: Feedback OnLine. Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour
at: http://asab.icapb.ed.ac.uk/exercises/alevel_psych/cricket_calling.html

Maybe ,at the light of this vet survey, a good translation for H.57 sun4 could be:

MODEST CRICKET (2)
or
HUMBLE CRICKET

The only problem, the confussion with another hexagram, that of the MODEST RODENT or the HUMBLE RAT.

Yours,

Charly

(2) MODEST means well endowed but NOT ARROGANT. Remember Vittorio Modest
Gassman in «Il Sorpasso».

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
The Sequence

The Wanderer has nothing that might receive him; hence there follows the hexagram of THE GENTLE, THE PENETRATING. The Gentle means going into.

This means that the wanderer in his forlornness has no place to stay in, and that hence there follows Sun, the hexagram of homecoming.

Miscellaneous notes

THE GENTLE means crouching.

The dark line is below, it crouches down beneath the light lines, and through this gentle crouching succeeds in penetrating among the strong lines.

Appended Judgments

THE GENTLE shows the exercise of character.
Through THE GENTLE one is able to weigh things and remain hidden. Through THE GENTLE one is able to take special circumstances into account.

Gentle penetration makes the character capable of influencing the outside world and gaining control over it. For thus one can understand things in their inner nature without having to step into the forefront oneself. Herein lies the power of influence. In this position, one is able to make the exceptions demanded by the time, without being inconsistent.

Among the eight trigrams, Sun occupies the southeast, between spring and summer. It means the flowing of beings into their form, it means baptism and giving life.
-Wilhelm

Last edited:

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
"...Sun, the hexagram of homecoming." Hunh? I thought the Gentle was about drifting around, aimless as the wind, but now i catch this line in wilhelm. What does this mean?
=Wilhelm

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"...Sun, the hexagram of homecoming." Hunh? I thought the Gentle was about drifting around, aimless as the wind, but now i catch this line in wilhelm. What does this mean?
=Wilhelm

Oh i had been meaning to say I don't think 57 is about drifting aimlessly about at all..if i have an image of 57 at all its of wind whistling through a keyhole...see i reckon the penetrating quality is of great importance in 57..if we are doing drifting like a cloud thats more 59. I say this purely because so many times 57 has come up for me around issues of access, even physical access, of being reached, influenced..but its not in a vague amorphous way..it really is penetrating, searching out, reaching through somehow...and doesn't someone call it 'rooting' or have i mixed that up...hmm not sure but rooting, reaching into places one thinks one cannot reach, thats what 57 is to me, hence i don't find the kite picture especially apt.

It isn't a full on forceful reaching, its subtle but irrepressible, like the wind.

If you need to go somewhere and are concerned you won't be able to park or reach the actual building for some reason...57 says you can IMO, you'll be like a gust of wind wiggling your way in there. With regard to impact or influence i think it can go right to your core with 57 without you even being especially aware of it. I think theres much movement in 57 (obviously) it just doesn't always seem like it but forces are moving with a direction...and when results come it may appear they happened by magic because you didn't much notice at the time

Re 'homecoming' i never noticed that before, but where are actual winds going ?

Last edited:
M

meng

The evidence of wind is its effect; the way a name or title defines or describes something. It is [as if it’s] nothing in itself, and can only be witnessed by the effect of itself on its environment: reflection and bouncing ideas off of. Wind blowing over the earth is 20, where reflection is part of its meaning. It's like talking with yourself.

I really love the eldest daughter association in 57. I see "her" in such a real and flesh and blood way, just in day to day living with her family and her environment; the effect and influence she subconsciously has on others may not be pivotal, such as coming from heaven or earth parents, but powerful nonetheless. The archetypal father/daughter power trip occurs in 44.

No doubt about it, she gets around.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
THE JUDGEMENT

THE GENTLE. Success through what is small.
It furthers one to have somewhere to go.
It furthers one to see the great man.

Penetration produces gradual and inconspicuous effects. It should be effected not by an act of violation but by influence that never lapses. Results of this kind are less striking to the eye than those won by surprise attack, but they are more enduring and more complete. If one would produce such effects, one must have a clearly defined goal, for only when the penetrating influence works always in the same direction can the object be attained. Small strength can achieve its purpose only by subordinating itself to an eminent man who is capable of creating order.
-Wilhelm

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
This 'homecoming' aspect of Sun was a missed piece of Wilhelm for me. Good Spot Rosada!! I hadn't quite go my head around 56.6 in and was interested in Charly's post in 56.6 in which there was a combination that gave appeared to give an option for wanderer as 'journeyman' -
  1. One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ.
So in 56.6 perhaps it could read like (No Chinese knowledge, so bear with me)
The bird burns his nest ................ Phoenix from the flames - the apprenticeship is over.
The Journeyman (gives his) first smile since wailing and crying ....... Things are on the up
At the painful loss (experienced during) the change to the ox/cow............ ???
Ominous...........A fateful sign indeed.

Line 3 - both ox and cow are symbols of the earth. Mother earth/Universal Mother.

The appearance of a sun is evidently an omen. One is reminded of the Ode The Seventh Monlh 2) where the creeping of the cricket under the bed is the sign that the time has come to shut up the house for the winter.

Now I don't know if this is a scholastically accepted link to the seventh Month. However, we have just passed into the Seventh Moon Cycle - the Clan Mother of the 7th Moon is named Love All Things and it is a time to honour all the senses of the body and the spirit as equal.
Question: Was that Father Sky and Mother Earth we saw creating a bit of harmony on top of Charly's bed?:D

So having come through this painful loss during which we served our apprenticeship working for someone else, we are now more qualified we are able to make our bed and lie in it, there is a returning to harmony, to how we were, if you like .......... a homecoming.

We are stepping into the house of Hexagram 57. What are we expecting to find there? I'm with the cricket on this one .....the gentle penetrating winds of unconditional love.

Mike

solun

visitor
Reaction score
57 is consistency. 56 wandering is more at aimless, drifting, without purpose. Where 57 The Gentle, penetrating wind does not stir up or blow violently in several different directions has singleness of purpose in obeying and persisting in a steady single direction, disperses darkness and creates advantage. The repetition of the trigrams is work as in sense of craft, creating through application of proper method and care.
That component of pattern or rhythm is where i see clear and orderly functioning as it appears 'as above, so below'.

Last edited:

solun

visitor
Reaction score
It is, however, obvious from the contexts in which it occurs that the word is a noun, not a verb. ~~ charly's Arthur Waley quote

~ possibly it's a condition of being and internal action is implied. Objectively the noun may be implied.

Last edited:

fkegan

(deceased)
Reaction score
Why is hex 57 about Homecoming?

Hi Charly,
I notice the highly symmetrical nature of the ideograms, is there any commentary to explain why they are so even in their symbolism? Seems far more important in the overall symbolism of the character than any of the specific details.

Rosada,
I would suspect that the winds which to us may be aimless would be expressions of their ancestors to the ancient Chinese using the winds to bring their faithful descendants the important rains for their crop fields.

The association of hex 57 to the eldest sister doubled would also suggest homecoming as the eldest daughter marries to form the best alliance for her clan and thus bring the resources from afar home.

As the negative x-axis of the double dichotomy expression of the thunder stroke from the Divine into the human heart it shows the beginning in the many thoughts and feelings that come and go within the heart.

Frank

charly

visitor
Reaction score
THE JUDGEMENT

THE GENTLE. Success through what is small.
-Wilhelm

Rosada:

CHARACTERS, PINYIN, USUAL MEANINGS / WHILHELM-BAYNES:

sun4 / a sign in the trigram / mild / submissive / GENTLE
xiao3 / small / tiny / few / young / [THROUGH WHAT IS] SMALL
heng1 / prosperous / SUCCESS

li4 / advantage / benefit / profitable / [IT] FUTHERS [ONE]
you3 / to have / there is / there are / to exist / to be / TO HAVE
you1 / distant / far / SOMEWHERE
wang3 / to go (in a direction) / past / previous / towards / TO GO

li4 / advantage / benefit / profitable / [IT] FUTHERS [ONE]
jian4 / to see / to meet / to appear (to be sth) / to interview / TO SEE
da4 / big / huge / large / major / great / [THE] GREAT
ren2 / man / person / people / MAN

Pretty literal except the first paragraph.

ALTERNATIVE VERSION:

001.gif

GENTLE BUG (1)

LITTLE FEAST
Little offrends, little celebrations
Little party

PROFITABLE HAVING FAR TO GO
Profitable if having to go far.
Maybe little offrends before a long journey.
Go as far as you need.

PROFITABLE TO MEET THE GREAT MAN (2)
For general public: use spiritual powers or, maybe, only for adults.
For girls: look for mature men, not boys.
For guys: look for advice or get inspired.

[NOTHING MORE]
No promise, no warranty.
Going with the wind.

As it's yet said at Astérix: Alea jacta est.

Yours,

Charly

(1) sun4 none of the words for CRICKET o CICADA, but in the lower component one can see the body with its six legs, longer the back ones. The upper component looks like two flexible antennas. A BUG. Of course, it's only one of the possible images.

(2) The Great Man could be a Shaman or a Spiritual Leader, something Sacred or even Magic is implied.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I think of the expression, "Somebody put the bug in his ear.." meaning to put an idea in someone's head.

Thinking about 56.6. If a situation has become too hot to handle, if the whole effort goes up in flames, then people back off, let the smoke clear, the ashes settle. Maybe The Gentle is about those little ashes then drifting through the air and finally coming back down to earth - as in an idea that at first had gained no admittance comes back again. The wanderer has made a mess of things, he backs off, then tries again only this time the introduction is much more gentle. A feather rather than a pheasant.
r.

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
hi all,

just a collection of your thoughts that stood out for me:

Rosada:
gentleness, which none the less penetrates like the wind
THE GENTLE shows the exercise of character.

Solun:
The repetition of the trigrams is work as in sense of craft, creating through application of proper method and care.
That component of pattern or rhythm is where i see clear and orderly functioning as it appears 'as above, so below'.

Frank:
I notice the highly symmetrical nature of the ideograms

I love the idea of The Gentle Wind as craftmanship . . and the symmetry makes me think of inhale and exhale. Our breath is like that: a subtle, incessant movement of air we almost forget it's there all the time, almost like a physical manifestation of faith . .
for some traditions the way we breath influences the ways we behave and the character we build . .
could living be seen as a craft? . . I would like to think so
:)

fkegan

(deceased)
Reaction score
I think of the expression, "Somebody put the bug in his ear.." meaning to put an idea in someone's head.

Thinking about 56.6. If a situation has become too hot to handle, if the whole effort goes up in flames, then people back off, let the smoke clear, the ashes settle. Maybe The Gentle is about those little ashes then drifting through the air and finally coming back down to earth - as in an idea that at first had gained no admittance comes back again. The wanderer has made a mess of things, he backs off, then tries again only this time the introduction is much more gentle. A feather rather than a pheasant.
r.

Hi Rosada,
There isn't a clear sense that the hexagrams are a continuous narrative. The Ninth Wing Commentary Upon the Sequence is as much a teaching device to help students remember the order of the hexagrams as anything real about their order.

The notion that the nature of hex56.6 then follows to hex 57 in general involves a number of assumptions about the hexagrams and their lines. It can equally well be argued that each moving line represents a change of that hexagram toward a different one. Also the change from hex 56 to hex 57 does not have to be one of smooth continuity. Structurally, hex 56 is the final product of the triad process narrative with a total break to hex57 which is the beginning of the tetrad or double dichotomy.

Frank

M

maremaria

I like how LiSe calls 57. Sealed bestowed.

Like God blow into Adam and Eve the breath of life.

The wind is invisible but we can see it by the way it affects things around it. In the kites of Luis image , in the windmill in Bruce’s photo.
The wanderer is not anymore a stranger in a strange Land. He is going home. And every step he makes is singed and sealed. Every step bears his seal, it’s the expression of his being. This is how he penetrates his world and he becomes “visible”
me thinks...

Maria

my_key

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Rosada,
There isn't a clear sense that the hexagrams are a continuous narrative. The Ninth Wing Commentary Upon the Sequence is as much a teaching device to help students remember the order of the hexagrams as anything real about their order.

The notion that the nature of hex56.6 then follows to hex 57 in general involves a number of assumptions about the hexagrams and their lines. It can equally well be argued that each moving line represents a change of that hexagram toward a different one. Also the change from hex 56 to hex 57 does not have to be one of smooth continuity. Structurally, hex 56 is the final product of the triad process narrative with a total break to hex57 which is the beginning of the tetrad or double dichotomy.
Frank

Hey Frank
If I'm clear here you are saying that 56 doesn't flow into 57 naturally. The structure of the Hex sequence is providing a 'total break' point between the 2.

Would you be able to expand on this? Simply my thinking is Change is flow - flux if you like. Every hexagram can flow into every other by the changing of the individual lines. Real flow has no limitations - it's only when we impose limitations that we prevent flow (change). My view has been that the 6th line of one hex takes you into teh 1st line of the next, because that is one type of flow.

Like God blow into Adam and Eve the breath of life.

Maremaria - the gentle wind = the breath of life. I love that connection.

What is the quality of the breath of life do you think?

Mike

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
THE JUDGMENT

THE GENTLE. success through what is small.

Commentary on the Decision

Penetration repeated, in order to spread commands abroad.
The firm penetrates to the middle and to the correct, and its will is done.
Both of the yielding lines submit to the strong; therefore it is said: "Success through what is small. It furthers one to have somewhere to go. It furthers one to see the great man."

This hexagram is constituted by a doubling of the trigram Sun, which means on the one hand gentleness, adaptability, on the other penetration. In the issuing of commands, it is all-important that they really penetrate the consciousness of the subordinates. This is effected by adaptation of the commands to their understanding. A twofold penetration is required: first penetration of a command to the feeling of the vassals, scattering the evil hidden in secret recesses, as the wind scatters the clouds; second, a still deeper penetration to the depths of consciousness, where the hidden good must be awakened. To obtain this effect, commands must be given repetitively.
The text is further explained in the light of the structure of the hexagram. The strong line that has penetrated to center - the correct place for it - is the nine in the fifth place; therefore its will is done, and it is favorable to undertake something. The yielding lines in the first and fourth place obey the firm ruler of the hexagram above them. Hence success is connected with the small, which is furthered by seeing the great man (the nine in the fifth place).
-Wilhelm

M

maremaria

Maremaria - the gentle wind = the breath of life. I love that connection.

What is the quality of the breath of life do you think?

Mike

Mike, sometimes that kind of connections comes to my mind and I don’t always have a way to explain them. It is just this. That image came in my mind, in another discussion here about Sun. Don’t recall were and when to find the link.
Moreover, I’m not very qualified to talk about those things re religion etc, but I’ll try.
The moment that god blow the breath of life, is the moment that man was endued with life. They (Adam and Eve) become alive , beings. The time they were born.
What is the quality you asked. Don’t know. God itself I guess.

How you perceive those qualities ?

Maria

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Playing with the idea of breath of life..
Different styles of breathing reflect one's emotional state. Short shallow breathing is usually a sign of anxiety and deep breathing denotes peace and further one can create peace or anxiety by the way they breathe.
Tony Robbins included in his workshops an exercise where he had people pair off. One person would close their eyes and focus on a memory. The partner was to mimic this person's stance and particularly their breathing. Afterwards the person who copied the breathing would tell what they felt. They frequently were able to accurately describe not only the mood of the person recalling the memory, but also many people were actually able to visualize what the person was thinking about. Thus by synchronizing their breathing they were able to penetrate into another's inner most being.

I continue to see a connection between 56.6 and 57. 56.6 and the burning nest describe a circumstance too hot to handle. The survivor of such a catastrophe would be the one who knows how to back off, to GENTLY drift away. Or in a less dramatic situation, when one meets someone new and discovers their new acquaintance does not share the same views, rather than coming to blows about it perhaps 57 is saying gently drop the subject when you find your ideas will not penetrate a closed mind, then come back to it later from a different direction.
-Rosada

Last edited:

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
what Rosada describes reminds me of sth . .
At some point a loved one was going through a lot of anxiety and I could feel his breath unsettled even when he was sleeping . .
It made me really sad and I knew nothing I could say would make things better.
The only way I could find to help him in these moments was to hold him in his sleep and after synchronizing my breath to his, try to gradually lengthen the periods of inhale and exhale . . sometimes it was very hard to draw his to follow mine and sometimes I would just fall asleep :)
I'd like to think though that it did help him if only a little . .

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).